Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Has anyone heard of this Mexican culture thing?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

People I deal with on a regular basis through my work know I do the "small farm thing." I got an interesting email from someone and part of it is:

"One of the ladies that works at the front desk is looking for a farm to go “hang out with animals”. Apparently it’s a pretty common thing in Mexico (where she’s from) to go pay a farmer and play with the creatures for a few hours. Anyways, you’re the only local I know around here with farm animals so we thought we’d ask if you’d be interested in having her come out for a bit to see the goats, chicken, cats, etc. "

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

Apparently, someone who works for CBC Saskatchewan was cruising her kijiji ad she posted months ago asking if there was anyone who would let them spend time with their farm animals. This exec contacted her and says hey, that's weird, sounds like a story, can we join you on your excursion as a quote "sights and sounds of the farm" thing. No one has ever said yes but she's still looking for someone who will, regardless of whether or not they are interested in the news crew coming along.

The news crew is secondary to this, and I'd probably decline them coming around for worry of the threat to small farms as well as the fact I have 4 dogs that would bark ENDLESSLY (though I'm intrigued by the opportunity for education). I'm considering though, allowing her to come by -- I don't see why it would be an issue and I trust the lady who approached me on the woman's behalf. I understand, more than most, the want and need to get 'back to the land' or be around animals. I'm interested though, to know if this is, indeed, something that's pretty standard in Mexican tradition. Do you know?

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

Thinking of DCChick's post, I would say make sure you're insured!  You never know what might happen.

Otherwise, I have never heard of anything like this.  Intriguing.

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:Thinking of DCChick's post, I would say make sure you're insured!  You never know what might happen.

Otherwise, I have never heard of anything like this.  Intriguing.
Yeah. These days you can't be too sure if someone gets hurt on your property that they won't turn around and take you to the cleaners.

Don't know if it is a tradition or not? Honestly on the one hand it sounds like what harm could it do? On the other hand I'm thinking like what harm can it do!

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Insurance. Insurance. Also, insurance.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Never heard of this before ? Being a bit of a skeptic I would be more curious if there are hidden agendas for a person to want to do this , sound's like the day farms here which have school kids come by and experience the life of a mixed farm ?? ...............very strange indeed !

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cant find anything on the internet.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

My step mom is Mexican and has done the "small farm thing" before. She absolutely loves just being around the animals. She comes over to my house on a regular basis just to hang with the midgets(kids) and my cows and pigs. Mainly because its something that she doesn't have at her house. She really is a lover of life, all life.

As to whether it actually answers your question? Doubt it. From what I understand their culture has a different outlook on human/animal relationships than we do. That includes being a "human consumption" animals or a "pet". She will help me slaughter and butcher anything I need help with but I can't offer her any of that animal. She might have never met it before that day but its like it offends her if I offer it to her. I can give her other meat that she's never had contact with and its okay.

I ramble ...sorry. Maybe cbc is needing a "fluff" piece to make life not look so drab

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum