Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have You Heard?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Have You Heard? Empty Have You Heard? Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:47 pm

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Hey all! Smile I read somewhere that the temperature at which eggs are incubated can influence the gender that they are? Cooler temps = more males and warmer temps = more females. Any one else heard of this? That was all it said. The temp eggs should be kept at during incubation is a pretty small window, I think it could be risky to even try. My first hatch I did keep a degree or two lower in temp(working out kinks in new incubator) and all the babies were boys. So after I came across this little tid bit of info it got me curious Question If the temp is consistently 99.5-100 do you end up with a close to 50\50 gender ratio?

2Have You Heard? Empty Re: Have You Heard? Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:00 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't think this works with birds. Poultry anyways.
I do know that cockerels in shell are much more resistant to hardship than pullets. If there is trouble at all the boys have a better chance than the girls. Sad really. Neutral

3Have You Heard? Empty Re: Have You Heard? Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:46 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have wondered this too sometimes when I had nothing else to think about!!
My broody hens often raise a larger percentage of girls than boys....and they usually get an 85-100% hatch so how do they manage that?
Last year I think my broody hen only hatched 2 boys out of about 11 chicks(2 batches)
very interesting....I always keep my Brinsea at 37.6..
I

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum