Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mexican dentistry

+3
coopslave
authenticfarm
uno
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mexican dentistry Empty Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hot on the heels of the root canal talk...would you go to Mexico for dental work?

Know a fellow who, due to financial reasons, neglected his mouth for many, many years and by the time he could afford to get in a dentist's chair, the news was bad. The quote was even worse. We're talking 5 figures. Quote was actually for $16,000 worth of crowns, plates, nuclear weapons, you name it. According to his dentist, his entire mouth needed to be rebuilt.

He went to Mexico, spent 5 days in a chair, came back with the most alarming set of huge, white chompers you've ever seen. He is please as punch with his work, has had no problems and saved money! It was cheaper to leave the country, have this done, recover every evening while sipping cheap alcohol, than to stay here and have it done.

As someone else said, many Mexican dentists are trained in the United States. But I have heard that their clinics do not look anything like our clinics. THey have old equipment. BUt old does NOT mean inadequate. IT does not mean dirty. It can still do the job.

Domestic dentists like to warn you that you are likely to have problems if you go south of the border. But that is an elitist and frankly racist comment! You can get a mouthful of crappy dental work right here in good old Canada, thank you very much! Canadian dentistry is NO GUARANTEE of good or ethical work! Local dentists like to say if you go to Mexico and something goes wrong, are you going to go back to Mexico to have it fixed? Well, if you go to your local dentist and he balls it up so bad...are you going to keep going back or are you going to try another dentist and hope he's better? So, this 'who is going to fix it?' stance is a bit of smoke and mirrors.

If you were faced with a massive dental undertaking, and obviously had done your research on that little border town, The Cotton, I believe it is called. El Godones? I could be wrong. Anyway, if you had checked it all out...would you go south with your mouth?

2Mexican dentistry Empty Re: Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a friend who went to Mexico for one of those stomach-stapling surgeries.

Long story short, once he got back to Canada, he got very sick and almost died. He ended up in the (Canadian) hospital for a long time.

So, no, I would never go to Mexico for any kind of medical or dental procedure. Hell, you'd be hard pressed to get me to go there on vacation, and I have a friend who owns a nice hotel that I could stay at!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Mexican dentistry Empty Re: Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

People we worked for many years ago, had all their dental work done down there. They would go down for the winter anyways and get it done while they were there. He also had very bad rhemtoid (sp?) arthritis and would get treated down there. Only place that would get him any relief, it was bad. They never had any trouble with their dental work. Just like here I imagine, there are good and bad ones.

4Mexican dentistry Empty Re: Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:24 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmmm, some of those gangs do employ men who are skilled at removing teeth. Might have to pay extra for the anesthetic though.

5Mexican dentistry Empty Re: Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:49 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We have close friends that had dentistry done last spring in Tiajuana, Mexico. They were done in Southern California for training on new restaurant they opened up here, and had the dental work done. The husband had a logging accident in Golden BC back when he was in college and had all his front teeth knocked out. He has always had bridges and dentures since. They were needing to be replaced, in Grande Prairie he was quoted 12000! In Tiajuana it cost him 5000, and he couldn't be happier.
The wife and inlaws had minor work done as well.

6Mexican dentistry Empty Re: Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:03 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have friends who live on the US side of the border in winter. They have all their medical and dental procedures to the south as well as filling up on their prescriptions. Penecillin can be bought without a scrip. They are on a fixed income with many medical issues and this helps them make ends meet. Their Doctor and Dentist are both state of the art.

7Mexican dentistry Empty Re: Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 am

Zenchicken

BEWARE You do not need a licence to practice dentistry in mexico....Anyone can start an office. Yes there are some good ones and some very very bad ones. Sterilization there is poor so you can run the risk of getting Hep C and HIV as well as many other illnesses from the equipment. I would be very careful seeing a dentist across the border.

8Mexican dentistry Empty Re: Mexican dentistry Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:57 am

Mexico , south America ,they all offer cheap dentistry and there will be those who have issues ,some will try to get the "" Cheapest ""of the cheap and in that falls the problems .I have a denture and my brother has both ......he gets his dentures at about a tenth of what they sell them for here .A few years ago I asked because his were made of porcelian and my denturist freaked ! Not good material etc etc .......now he praises it ? I have actually though about it myself as well ,the differance in cost would pay easly for the airfare etc Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum