Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

can chickens eat....

+8
CynthiaM
Schipperkesue
debbiej
uno
rosewood
Dark Wing Duck
DoubleSSRanch
steve
12 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1can chickens eat.... Empty can chickens eat.... Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:35 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Can Chickens Eat Beets?? i have some beet plants and what to feed them to my chickens!

2can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:50 am

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

in my experience they wont eat anything that grows in the ground. Maybe if they were cooked they would. Mine will eat mashed potatoes.. but not just cooked taters or uncooked carrots.

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

3can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:56 am

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

DoubleSSRanch wrote:in my experience they wont eat anything that grows in the ground. Maybe if they were cooked they would. Mine will eat mashed potatoes.. but not just cooked taters or uncooked carrots.

My birds eat raw tator skins, raw beet skins and tops, raw carrots, etc, etc, all the time. Potato skins are not their first choice, but they do eat em! Carrots on the other hand, chickens love them.

4can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We don't feed uncooked potatoes to our chickens, but carrots and beets are fed. Seems to me they even got some leftover pickled beets last week. They didn't get the very salty beets that were canned last year. These just ended up in the compost.

5can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

For future reference, they love trail mix and granola, but will not eat M&Ms or Smarties.

6can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:55 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My chickens love beets, and beet leaves. They've eaten so many beets they had pink poop. They love kale, and cauliflower leaves.

7can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:17 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I give them all our veggie peelings and oldish food. The only thing they have refused are undercooked gingersnaps.

sue

8can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:30 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine won't eat beet leaves and alot of the garden refuse, so they don't get it, the compost does, smiling. Mine are kind of picky, no clue why, but I wonder if they are too spoiled with all the horse poop that they go through to find good stuff, the horses are fed well here, perhaps just too much in that way. They sure do like the bunches of black elderberries that I pick many times a day and throw the bunches in, turns their poop a most pretty dark purple, ich...but they won't eat beet leaves for sure, now the beet skins after they are cooked, they love them!! Swiss chard that is discarded, because of the stinky little leaf miners that affect some leaves, they love that, but they won't eat the stalks!! More stuff for the compost. Picky birds here. Good post, by the way, have a wonderful and beautiful day. CynthiaM.

Uno, if you want lots of black elderberries to make jam or jelly or wine, come on over, got trees that are LOADED!!! And they are very easy to pick.

9can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:51 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

thanks every one! i cooked up a whole lot of beets and i will see if my chickens will eat them! Very Happy

10can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

My chickies eat everything under the kitchen sink quite literally, as that’s where I keep their beloved Scrap Bucket. When they see me coming carrying that sucker it's mob rules! Laughing The only thing I’ve found they won’t eat is cheeseburger flavored Doritos (don’t know what the heck hubby was thinking there) and I quite agree with them! Yuck…

pluckylady

pluckylady

DoubleSSRanch wrote:in my experience they wont eat anything that grows in the ground. Maybe if they were cooked they would. Mine will eat mashed potatoes.. but not just cooked taters or uncooked carrots.

12can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:03 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

mine eat anything beets and carrots ect if it cooked...they even like KFC......... lol! gross but my husband threw in a leftover drumstick that he ate already and you could have sworn he was santa clause with a big bag of candy...it was weird he did it as a joke like threatening the girls if they stop laying he will turn them in to kfc....and well joke wa son us they freaking loved it ... lol!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

13can chickens eat.... Empty Re: can chickens eat.... Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:54 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Saw a rooster with a dripping red beak this morning and had that sinking feeling - who has he been ripping into?? - then I realized he had eaten the cooked beet ends I gave them - they loved them. They will eat raw peelings too but not big chunks unless cooked - oh yes....

Onions and citrus, that's about all they won't touch. But I haven't tried the cheeseburger flavoured doritos.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum