Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Buff orpington mamma, babies, tomato patch and the compost pile

+2
coopslave
CynthiaM
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just thought I would put a pretty picture of a silly girl and her babes, eyeing up the the compost pile instead of the red tomatoes.  A quote from another forum.  have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

This was the main tomato patch, Graham goodkeeper variety.  The mamma buff orpington and her lil' ones enjoyed the compost pile more than the whack of red tomatoes.  Go figure, chickens are attracted to red, musta been something really good in the compost for them to choose there to go to.

Buff orpington mamma, babies, tomato patch and the compost pile Buffbroodyampchicksintomatopatch_zps3aee5199

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great photo.
Man, you have chicks all the time, you can't resist can you?
I was so tempted to put some eggs under a broody a little while ago. I am so glad I didn't with us moving and all. Maybe I will be better set up in the new place and can have babies everywhere too!! Shhhh, don't tell hubby......

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hehe, mama hen knew exactly where the best bugs were hiding! Very Happy

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh wow you have red tomatoes and they're still in the garden!!!  We had ours in plastic tents and still lost quite a few to frost so had to pick ours all green.  They ripened in the house though and we now have 24Lts of canned toms and 12cups of salsa made with some hot peppers my chicken keeper grew in the greenhouse.  Still have a few more toms that need to ripen.  I'm so jealous of your red tomatoes on the plants!!  

Very nice photo BTW I'm just so jealous of your red tomatoes!

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Personally, I don't think that is a recent picture...we got a hard frost last week? and all tomatoes died..they are brown...
Cynthia COME CLEAN!! TELL US

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

BigRock, you maka me smile. That was probably taken about September 25, so you are correct, no overly recent. I tried to look at the date on the photo, but it only showed when it was modified, I downsize images to internet friendly size, and I don't know how to see the actual date taken. Learned something today, always keep original picture and make copies, then the true date can be seen. I see that I uploaded the photo to a page on October 1, and was talking about it being about a week before that, when we had some sunshine. Ya, so that would be say, September 22-25 time frame. We did not have a killing frost. You are much more colder than we are, I think the river keeps our valley more warm. Well, it is not warm, but we don't get as much hard cold as you guys do in your valley, smiling.

We have not had a killing frost. As a matter of fact, yesterday I went out and picked the remaining of my red and green tomatoes and they are on my porch resting, until I figure out what to do with them. Got a whole lotta tomatoes goin' on.....lots of work and with all the apples we picked,, our cup is full. Hubby is revamping the apple press, he is going to use a bottle thing, some kind of bottle hydraulic jack. Don't ask me, no clue what he is talking about. He did a whole whack of apples with his turn handle that squishes the apples, and he is so strong that he bent it, smiling. It won't work now, and we have so many apples to press, gonna use that bottle jack. so ya, our tomatoes are good, not browned and dead, everything is still alive and doing well. Not even the canna lilies are blackened yet, now that is a job, those suckers are at least 8-9 feet tall and boy, that is a whole lotta cutting and digging out roots. Not looking forward to that one, but need to get them cut down before the killing frost, cause then you got havoc with mush leaves, sigh....whole lotta work goin' on. So BigRock tongue  we have not experienced yet that killing frost. Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum