Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I have 6 Buff Orpington hens

+2
ChicoryFarm
Amy
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Empty I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Wed May 11, 2011 4:39 pm

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

and there was 7 Surprised eggs this morning at 11am. I have never had that happen, I did chores and collected eggs at 9pm last night so I know they are not from yesterday. I love my Orpingtons Very Happy

2I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Empty Re: I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Wed May 11, 2011 5:29 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

A good lesson for me. Being new to the poultry world and researching different breeds for 'rate of lay', the Orpington is portrayed as not a great layer but a lovely bird temperamentally and in looks. I'm glad I went ahead anyways and ordered a dozen orps from Hidden River for pick up this weekend.

It's good to know that for such a big bird, they earn their keep.

3I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Empty Re: I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Wed May 11, 2011 8:49 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wow good hens!!

4I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Empty Re: I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Wed May 11, 2011 8:51 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am gonna miss those girls, and they are great layers. One must have laid an egg just after you checked and then another one today, wowow.

5I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Empty Re: I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Wed May 11, 2011 8:59 pm

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Did maple make it to your place yet? Very Happy

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

6I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Empty Re: I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Thu May 12, 2011 6:02 am

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

I am glad you posted that Amy. I thought I was going crazy when we got a 116 gram double yolker and two normal (read biggest of any breed we have) eggs from my 2 lavender orpington hens one day in the winter. I was pretty sure there was no way I missed as we got 2 eggs the day before (about 18 hours before) and they were all super clean, now I know I am not scratch

I am impressed with them, they are the first orpingtons I have had and in the fall I had thought maybe I could let them go to a good home this spring but this awesome laying along with their sweet docile temperament means I am keeping them in my tiny scaled down flock. There were weeks where we got 13 or 14 eggs! 11-12 was quite common but I find if they are moved....goodbye eggs for about a month! Shocked

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

7I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Empty Re: I have 6 Buff Orpington hens Thu May 12, 2011 7:00 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just got 3 from Chickeesmom and one from TripleJ on Monday and they haven't stopped laying yet and don't seem like they plan on it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum