Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My Buff Orpington Chicks???

+4
CynthiaM
Piet
HigginsRAT
foal0069
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:06 pm

foal0069

Well,
the wing feathers are coming in on my buff orpington chicks, here are some pictures:

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? IMG_03071_zps7d016606

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? IMG_03122_zpsbfeb7c47

The colour is a brownish grey. I would have sent more but am having issues with photobucket and you get the idea.

2My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:27 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:11 pm

foal0069

Thanks Tara,
That was exactly what I was afraid of. Had issues with the breeder after the fact and started wondering. I was actually sold buff orpington eggs supposed from lines that had originated from Eddie Homer's. These chickens were suppose to be penned together. I was also sold some RIR as he didn't have enough orpington eggs to fill my order. Got taken on this one. So I guess it's buyer beware for me. I still have faith in people though. Have a good night. Bed time for me it's after 11 Smile

4My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Looks splash to me.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

5My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:45 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is really too bad, I think that something got mixed up. These things can happen, but boy it sure does rattle our bones. You do not have buff orpington chicks. Perhaps a different variety, or a cross, but certainly that is not how buff chicks' wing feathers look. I am going to insert about 8 picture for you to see what the buff should look like. Well, at least I hope these are what they should look like. Smiling.

And don’t for a second think that one can accurately wing feather sex the breed, cause you can’t. If I had not grown out chicks, and culled any that I thought were males, I would have very few. Awful to think, but it absolutely 100% does not work. As the buffs mature, there are clearly ones that are female, this can be seen at about 3 weeks old. Clear as clear can be, the shape, the type of feather growth. Those remain females. But....and I have had this with the cochins, I NEVER, EVER think that all males are males anymore. There has been so many times with the buff Orpington and the cochin breeds that I have kept extra males. Trust me....some of those that I for surely thought were males, due to the feathering speed and look of feathers, ended up being female. I have about 4 of the ones in my buff pen that I had thought two weeks ago males, now they are females. And exactly the same with 1 of the cochins, thought she was a boy, nope, girl, all over, true and true. These chicks are now 9 weeks old and it has only been in the past week or so that I would say that this physical transformation has arisen. I have seen this before, time and time again, and only with a very few. Ones that I sexed by visual feather sexing as females, remained females, one that I have visual sexed as males, can go either way. Wonder what this says, smiling...nevermind. This is just thoughts coming through my fingers I must pass on. Be careful with boys of the buff Orpington and cochin breeds, they might fool ya and become female. Might be with other breeds too, but I can only speak to this.

Hope these pictures help to show what self buff look like. Enjoy, hope things all work out well with you foal, have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

The following pictures will be of the chicks that I incubated from hatching eggs that came from several beautiful lines from Hobbyfarmer in Ontario, late spring of 2011. So two year old pictures almost. There was 10 of 34 eggs that hatched, a very expensive endeavour to have these eggs flown, paid for and hatch, but boy has paid off. Ended up with some pretty nice birds which I am working very hard on. Most of my breeders now are 2 years old and only a very few at 1 year old now. The rooster is two.

The last picture, which is of progeny of the breeders is a male and a female, which now are owned by a friend in Alberta, smiling. They are about 6 weeks old in that picture at the end of the chick newborn pictures, they are now about 14 weeks old.

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Buffdownandwingcolour5_zpsd3f118fc

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Buffdownandwingcolour1_zpsb3121127

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Buffdownandwingcolour3_zpse5dfad4b

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Buffdownandwingcolour7_zps904753d1

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Buffdownandwingcolour6_zps0c0f27d1

This is the last picture, ones that were hatching some time ago, children of the original Ontario eggs sent.

My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Buffdownandwingcolour2_zps30b48ffa

6My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:41 am

foal0069

Thanks to you all. I am going to try texting this person to find out what I might have. Kind of scared to as this person was extremely rude the last time I contacted including swear words. I would just like to know what I have now. Here is a list of what birds eggs were available at the time I ordered mine:
RC RIR-Rademacher reds as well as Duane Urch's.
RC RIR x SS Hamburg
Dark Cornish
French Maran's-Edie Steele lines & Terry Mitchell(mydarkeggs)
Exhequor Leghorns-Steele hens with Kenya rooster
Buff Orpingtons-Steele via Homer
Black Orpingtons-Homer line
Silver Pencilled Rocks-Origin from Hatchery stock
Do you folks think any of these would fit, before I try contacting?
I was going to post two or three more pics but my computer is still giving me grief.

7My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:47 am

foal0069

I think they might be exchequer leghorns from a picture on feathersite. Only thing is the black mark on their heads

8My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:16 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

foal0069 wrote:Thanks to you all. I am going to try texting this person to find out what I might have. Kind of scared to as this person was extremely rude the last time I contacted including swear words.

I am assuming the swear words were the sellers.

If so, my theory is that this has happened to this particular seller before and they feel the best defense is a good offence. Sometimes people and their problems can be intimidated into going away.

This makes me sad, because for many this will paint all egg sellers with the same brush in some people's minds.

9My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:32 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
This makes me sad, because for many this will paint all egg sellers with the same brush in some people's minds.

This is an "oh dear" thing. No one should EVEr treat anyone in a wrong manner. I don't care what is going on. Not that you are condoning this Sue, but please understand I am not slamming you.

Two wrongs do not make a right. I have always been of the belief that one should bite the tongue. If someone treats me wrongly, especially with cussing at me, I walk away and know full well that one day good ol' Karma girl will be in their lap.

I would certainly re-contact the seller and try to make this right. Defensive action is something that is very difficult to control, on either ends. Sigh. These things are what our world go round and round and round, on good ways and on bad ways. Have wonderful days, CynthiaM.

10My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 am

foal0069

I am sorry I didn't mean to have anyone painted with the same brush. I have dealt with a few people buying eggs unseen and they have been great. Please don't get me wrong. I will continue to buy my eggs from people and will even try new people but the one thing I might do before hand is to check what others are saying about a particular seller, not all, but someone I have seen nothing on before. This person has been on the another list since inception practically. I have sent this person a text but doubt he will reply if his past history is anything to go by. One bad egg (no pun intended) does not make everyone bad and I hope people realize this. Looking forward to doing business with many of you and am anxiously awaiting my new buff orpington eggs this week. Once bitten, willing to try and try again. Heck it was a learning curve lol. Hope everyone has a good day flower as these are they only ones were are going to see this year, still under about two feet of snow. lol!

11My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:05 am

foal0069

Sorry Sue,
To answer your question, my Dad would wash my mouth out with soap if I ever said those words. He is still capable at 89. Excuse the reminising but I do remember one day when I was in my early twenties, a long time ago, that we were in the barn together and I was at one end and he at the other and I used an appropriate word but it began with sh, he threatened me from the other end of the barn that if he was closer he would have smucked me upside the head lol. I took those words to heart.

12My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:
If someone treats me wrongly, especially with cussing at me, I walk away and know full well that one day good ol' Karma girl will be in their lap.

I would certainly re-contact the seller and try to make this right. Defensive action is something that is very difficult to control, on either ends. Sigh. These things are what our world go round and round and round, on good ways and on bad ways. Have wonderful days, CynthiaM.

I believe in the karma thing too. I also have a VERY long memory for this type of thing. I am also not afraid to tell EVERYONE I know about what had happened so they could pass it in to EVERYONE that they knew as well. Unlike CynthiaM, I would not engage this person anymore as I think it will just lead to more abuse, and live and learn. There are many wonderful chicken people out there willing to bend over backwards and why waste your time with idiots.

To me ignorance, not really knowing what is going on with their breeds is very different then doing wrong and then being aggressive about it. This really steams me and is so offputting to so many people that may be just starting out in the hobby.

Very sorry this happened to you, but like you say it is a learning experience and don't worry, many of us have been through the same thing. When buying eggs you put your trust in the sellers to be doing the right thing and some just are NOT.

I had a similar experience with day old chicks a few years ago. I am not a beginer and asked all the right questions. It was someone that had eggs from so and so and was hatching them. I was very specific that I only wanted chicks hatched out of those eggs as I knew the breeder and wanted some of their stock. Long conversations about it, arrangements and long drives. Her hubby delivered the chicks to the meeting area and I mentioned to him right away that these were not what I ordered. He said that is what he was told to deliver. They were not the right chicks! I knew from the chick down and some of the chicks were 5 to 6 days old from the feather on them. I was cranky and phoned and the person insisted that the chicks were from the eggs they said and that they were day olds.....sigh. I can tell you they certainly were NOT without going into more detail. This was not my first rodeo! I also ended up buying a few chicks that someone did not turn up for. Sigh, they were expensive breeds too but I did not like to think of them staying in the box for a couple days until the Husband got back home from his travels. One chick died within 2 days and the other 2 had very twisted feet. Makes me cranky just thinking about it!!!

Sorry Foal0069, don't want to take over your post with my rant Embarassed but I just wanted to show you even experienced people that ask all the right questions can still be 'taken' when they trust that sellers are doing the right thing.

Have fun with the mystery chicks, hope there are lots of pullets in there for you!

13My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:02 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Holly, What I would do is just for their information....Send them a pic of your chicks and ask if they are supposed to be black and leave it at that. If they were going to do anything they will with that information no use putting too much into a text as once its out there its out there to stay. Sorry to hear about this MAybe you will be lucky and they will at least be splash orps.
Geri

14My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 am

foal0069

Actually person responded and said thought that they had barred wings until first moult (red flag), then proceeded to tell me didn't have anything else that could be mistaken for a buff orpington. Also found out the RIRs sent, were not all but hatchery stock pencilled rocks. Go figure. I said thanks and that will be it. Will wait and see what I get. flower

15My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:12 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I\'m Sorry

How disappointing for you.
People like this make me livid! They are obviously incompetent - can't even provide pure breed, let along decent quality eggs. They are only in it for a quick money grab and when they screw up, rather than admit it they get rude and aggressive. Unbelievable.

You know, I kind of wondered when I saw that first picture you posted with the dark spots on the heads. The color looked a bit off for buff down, but I thought it was maybe just somethig to do with the flash or how the photo was shot. Now its easy to see those are definitely not buff orpingtons. Well, maybe they will turn out to be nice birds anyway.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

16My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Empty Re: My Buff Orpington Chicks??? Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I still think this is crap. I know that sometimes things go array. sometimes a sneak bird could sneak in, somehow, can happen I suppose, depending on set ups, mistakes made and eggs can get mixed up. But admit the mistake, apologize and ask pardon. But is this out and out deceit? I don't know. If it is, how can others be warned to not use the particular person themselves. Absolutely do not like to talk about people and always give the benefit of the doubt. But...whatever, eh? Is someone else going to get screwed by this person, these things leave me at loss for word. Sigh. have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum