Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

buff orpington geese

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1buff orpington geese Empty buff orpington geese Sat May 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Does anybody have them ? I have someone looking for some. Thanks Geri

2buff orpington geese Empty Re: buff orpington geese Sun May 04, 2014 5:00 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am intrigued...I have never heard of Buff Orpington Geese. I have heard of Buff Orpington Ducks, and I have Buff American geese...

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

3buff orpington geese Empty Re: buff orpington geese Sun May 04, 2014 6:00 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

islandgal99 wrote:I am intrigued...I have never heard of Buff Orpington Geese.  I have heard of Buff Orpington Ducks, and I have Buff American geese...

Hmmm I am probably wrong in my post. I met this nice lady at the auxction yesterday an may have not heard her properly. I will call her to verify. Sorry folks

4buff orpington geese Empty Re: buff orpington geese Sun May 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Rasilon wrote:Does anybody have them ? I have someone looking for some. Thanks Geri

Ok spoke to the lady and they have a Buff Toulouse Goose. They would like some more so if anybody has can you please let me know
Thanks Geri

5buff orpington geese Empty Re: buff orpington geese Sun May 04, 2014 7:41 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Now I am even more intruigued...that was the breed I wanted, but couldn't find any buff toulouse in Canada. I searched everywhere. And lucked out in finding my Buff Americans.

In a pinch, and a very good option, and especially if it's a Gander, she could breed it to a regular Toulouse, and the buff will carry through as a sex link and then breed the offspring from there...there are some nice Toulouse in Canada.

If your friend finds a Buff, or starts a project with a regular Toulouse, I would be interested in the project!

6buff orpington geese Empty Re: buff orpington geese Mon May 05, 2014 8:02 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

islandgal99 wrote:Now I am even more intruigued...that was the breed I wanted, but couldn't find any buff toulouse in Canada.  I searched everywhere.  And lucked out in finding my Buff Americans.  

In a pinch, and a very good option, and especially if it's a Gander, she could breed it to a regular Toulouse, and the buff will carry through as a sex link and then breed the offspring from there...there are some nice Toulouse in Canada.  

If your friend finds a Buff, or starts a project with a regular Toulouse, I would be interested in the project!

Oh... so if they bred the gander to a reular toulous hen they will get both oin ht eofspring? What would they then do.. breed the buff ofspring to the dad ?

7buff orpington geese Empty Re: buff orpington geese Mon May 05, 2014 9:36 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Is the Gander the buff? That is easiest, as they will give all the offspring a buff gene. But it can be done with a buff goose too.

Buff is a sexlinked recessive gene in geese. Mate a buff gander to a grey goose, you get 100% buff females and 100% grey males (these males will still carry a buff gene, but won't show it).

Mate a grey gander (not carrying buff) to a buff female you should get 100% grey offspring, but the males are carrying the buff gene, so discard the females as they are no use in this plan. If you mate them to your best grey females you should get 50% buff females. Takes longer to get buffs this way, but doable.

To breed buffs you don't need a buff female, unless you also want buff males... Wink

A female always shows the buff gene if she has it (unless she is white), a male can be a carrier while not showing it.

There are some outstanding greys in Canada, would make a nice start to the buff project. And I would love a buff Gander when they are ready  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 

8buff orpington geese Empty Re: buff orpington geese Mon May 05, 2014 10:57 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

islandgal99 wrote:Is the Gander the buff? That is easiest, as they will give all the offspring a buff gene.  But it can be done with a buff goose too.  

Buff is a sexlinked recessive gene in geese.  Mate a buff gander to a grey goose, you get 100% buff females and 100% grey males (these males will still carry a buff gene, but won't show it).

Mate a grey gander (not carrying buff) to a buff female you should get 100% grey offspring, but the males are carrying the buff gene, so discard the females as they are no use in this plan. If you mate them to your best grey females you should get 50% buff females.  Takes longer to get buffs this way, but doable.

To breed buffs you don't need a buff female, unless you also want buff males... Wink

A female always shows the buff gene if she has it (unless she is white), a male can be a carrier while not showing it.

There are some outstanding greys in Canada, would make a nice start to the buff project.  And I would love a buff Gander when they are ready  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 

Thank you so much I will pass this on.
Geri

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum