Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cat People

+4
auntieevil
'lilfarm
Daisychainsaw
Blue Hill Farm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cat People Empty Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:47 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

How do you keep your furry felines from using your garden as a gigantic litter box? Because our three cats seem to think the garden is the only prime dirt around. UGHHH. Unimpressed is an understatement. Please tell me your secrets...cat lol

2Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:35 am

Daisychainsaw

Daisychainsaw

My cat is an indoor only cat with supervised outdoor time (on a leash) so I can't answer that. I would be interested to hear what people have to say as the neighbour's cat thinks my flower bed is his personal litter box No

My garden problem is the quail population using my newly planted corn rows as their dust bath area! Very Happy I am considering putting chicken wire down to deter them.

3Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:41 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

well, you could have your husband put up a lovely shelter in which to park his motorbikes and store seasonal things like rototillers, etc.  They'll love to use that.
or
build a small greenhouse, they love the dry dirt in the corners and as an added benefit love to scale the poly sides which greatly improves the ventilation
or
have a corner planter by your front door, they'll happily poop to their hearts content there.

DON'T put a litter box in the barn, they WILL NOT use that!!

for the garden I put up a mesh fence, that is working pretty good.

4Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 pm

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I planted Piss-Off plants around my garden, but ended using netting as the darn chickens were in there constantly digging lunar landscapes....

5Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:40 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I read somewhere that coffee grounds will keep them away?    Not sure, never tried it.  Probably the wire is better.  Good Luck.

6Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have always thought to build a covered sand box just for
the cats maybe put some catnip in it to draw them.
If it is covered and it rains they will most likely prefer the
box to the garden.

7Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Thats easy ......................get rid of the cats ! we have three and I keep telling the wife that one day there will be 0 cats .................so tired of them doing there business everywhere , totally disgusting animals in my book Twisted Evil

8Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I never see a cat poo anywhere and we have 6. There are four litter boxes in the garage where they sleep and if they have to poop when they are out, then they hold it, and wait for the garage door to open, or they must be heading out to the fields.

I do know if you keep the ground wet, they don't like it. Water the garden more often, perhaps? Oh, we also have stucco wire around our garden to keep out the goats, sheep and geese. That probably helps.

Sue

9Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

As Sue mentioned, water more, then have a dry area you would like them to use. Cats love sand.

10Cat People Empty Re: Cat People Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:05 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Haha lilfarm, that's about it.

Prairiedog, you sound like my husband, and he's supposed to be the cat person around here, heh.

Ok, I'll try keeping the garden soil wetter and hope for the best I guess. These are all outdoor cats, one is our old boy (16+ yrs with us) and other two are fixed females that came with the farm. The previous owner couldn't take them to his retirement home and we didn't have the heart to rehome them after living here all their lives. Suckerrrrrs. lol
But after dealing with scooping a kiddie pool litter box all winter long (betcha can guess who got that job) I refuse to have to do it during summer too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum