Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guinea "what am I" question

+3
bckev
Schipperkesue
lanaire-ranching
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Guinea "what am I" question Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If there is anyone that lives right near me, that raises guineas and would be willing to drive to my house I would be more than happy to pay for your fuel and baking and whatever else you want!!

I bought two "pair" of lavender guineas from the auction at Easter. I am seriously doubting I have two "pairs", but two pairs of males!

We have tried and listened, and there is no audible difference between them (so no two syllable buck-wheat going on... just the one syllable ay ay ay that the males seem to make)
their waddles and helmets all seem very similiar with no real difference that *I* can see...

I did take some pictures, but the dang things are hard to take pictures of!! I ended up chasing them around the coop yard before I finally gave up... but here are the ones I managed to get anyways in case someone can spot the difference between them, or if they are indeed all the same (in which case I am going to say I got stuck with four gorgeous males that are going to need some mates soon!)

Guinea "what am I" question  IMG_2818

Guinea "what am I" question  IMG_2819

Guinea "what am I" question  IMG_2820

Guinea "what am I" question  IMG_2822

finally get a better look at the pictures myself, and it almost does seem that there is ONE in there with a much smaller helmet. so maybe I do have one female at least but three males??

would certainly love it, if anyone nearby had a spare minute to pop over and help me figure this out! I will gladly pay for their services!!

2Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lanaire, I live nowhere near you, but by the sound of the guineas, I am guessing all male.

Now last year a very kind lady gifted a bunch of guinea eggs to me and this year I was saving some eggs for the millet sale. I would like to pay her kindness forward and give you some eggs to hatch. Are you or is anyone near you coming to the sale?

3Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:55 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It looks like you might have one female to me. Hard to tell from the pictures.

4Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Moose

Moose
New Here

I'd say 3 males for sure from what I can see in the pictures. The fourth I don't think I'm seeing the right angle but if you're only hearing the one type of call it's most likely male as well.

With our Guineas I've noticed the males wattles seem to stick more straight out to the side opposed to angling back. They are usually larger too although we do have one female with wattles as large as the males but her call gives her away.

5Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Lanaire, I live nowhere near you, but by the sound of the guineas, I am guessing all male.

Now last year a very kind lady gifted a bunch of guinea eggs to me and this year I was saving some eggs for the millet sale. I would like to pay her kindness forward and give you some eggs to hatch. Are you or is anyone near you coming to the sale?

Oh Sue, what a wonderful and kind offer! I dont think I am going to be anywhere near north for the Millet sale, but thank you so much regardless! you are a kind soul

hopefully later in the summer I can either find some more eggs or even keets to help match these poor boys up.

*I had a huge rant/whine about buying at the auction. not the time or place so I edited it out*

6Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:39 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

pictures are definitely the hardest to identify these guys from! but thank you everyone, so much for looking and trying to help!

if you have a suggestion of how to take a better picture, or a different angle-- let me know I will give it a try!

and the offer still stands! if anyone is in the area, I will GLADLY pay for your fuel and fill the car/truck with some baked goodies just for your efforts! guineas are definitely the sort of beasts that benefit from seeing to identify, that is for sure Very Happy

7Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wish I was coming your way Claire I would love your baking goodies and a chat, we would figure what those are. In the pictures to me looks like all boys, and if you do not hear the buck-wheat you are probably dealing with 2 pairs of boys....

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:17 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Mister started a new job that takes him right past your house the odd time, so I might just fill up your table yet with some goodies and a chat with coffee!

the one still has me guessing, but with not hearing that distinct second call--- I just think I got shmooked again and have two pairs of males. I just hope it was an "honest" mistake on the sellers part at the auction, and not on purpose.

9Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:20 pm

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

They are very nice eating.

10Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:42 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is a site that has the guineas making their sounds it might help a bit I know I get so frustrated when I try and sex them.
http://thecountrychick.blogspot.ca/2012/04/sexing-guinea-fowl.html

Scrool down to the utubge and click on it to play
the person did good getting the sounds

11Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:24 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

appway wrote:Here is a site that has the guineas making their sounds it might help a bit I know I get so frustrated when I try and sex them.
http://thecountrychick.blogspot.ca/2012/04/sexing-guinea-fowl.html

Scrool down to the utubge and click on it to play
the person did good getting the sounds

I have listened to a lot of videos on YouTube but this one is probably about the best! Thank you.

and now. yup. pretty darn sure that I have two pairs of males. could still be wrong, but there is no female call that I have heard yet. just that male sound.

12Guinea "what am I" question  Empty Re: Guinea "what am I" question Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:04 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It can be so frustrating! I find it is best to listen and not look as that only confuses me more. I have 7 guineas, all different colours and I know I have at least one female (the call and eggs are being laid) but for the life of me I CANNOT tell which are the females. AND yours are almost identical - what a challenge!

I'd see if someone would trade you a female for a male or two - although, like roosters, you really don't need many males in any flock.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum