Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guinea Injury

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guinea Injury Empty Guinea Injury Mon May 07, 2012 12:20 pm

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

Hi! My husband surprised me with a flock of guineas (7, 3 males, 4 females, my husband can't resist an auction sale and I know nothing about guineas). He turned them out in a big empty chicken yard with a little A-frame shelter, chicken food, water, etc. However - he forgot to check and see what else was laying around in the yard. This morning I headed out to check out the new additions and found a poor bird tangled in some fencing supplies I had set in the corner. He was surprising calm while I untangled him, but his horn in quite damaged. It looks like its nearly ripped off and just hanging on by a chunk. When I released him, he went about snacking on some grass and walking around, the same as the other birds, so I don't think he's mortally wounded. The other birds are leaving his wound alone. Is there something I should do to help his horn heal? I'm much more concerned about his health than his good looks. The wound is no longer bleeding and he's acting ok (I think - I'm not so sure how they're supposed to behave, but he seems quite stoic with such an injury). I cleaned out the yard to prevent future injury...Any advice?

2Guinea Injury Empty Re: Guinea Injury Mon May 07, 2012 12:36 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I found guineas are not like chickens that will pick the wound. Any that have injured themselves here I have just left unless the wound seems to be bothering them. The only thing is watch that the others don't start ganging up on him my male is quite vicious to other males and actually killed one. He also chases the turkey hen around their pen. He will be going in the stew pot if I can find a new male in my area or hatching eggs

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

3Guinea Injury Empty Re: Guinea Injury Mon May 07, 2012 1:19 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would think he would be fine too, as long as no body is picking on him. Guineas are actually quite tough (or at least mine are). Sometimes not the smartest birds, but they are hardy.

The Males can be buggers when it comes to hording food from the chicken and hard on roosters. I find that my chickens have learned to keep out of the way of the guineas. Free Ranging with guineas works really well once they know where home is. They will definitely let you know if anything comes around.

Hope you enjoy your guineas. They are very entertaining and add a wonderful charm and interest to the yard.

Congrats on the guineas!

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

4Guinea Injury Empty Re: Guinea Injury Sun May 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

Thanks for the reassurance - the guinea is fine. Looks like the injury is only going to be aesthetic. The birds are adjusting nicely to their new home. I'm collecting eggs to try for a hatch before we turn them out to free range in the yard - thought it might be a good idea to have some insurance in the incubator in case the coyotes are bolder than usual!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum