Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Guinea mother and keet question?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Guinea mother and keet question?  Empty Guinea mother and keet question? Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:38 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have a question about my new family of guineas. I have the hen and chicks in a pen, I was wondering can the old man go in with her and the chicks because I read some where that the male kind of protects the female as they sit on a nest? Or will he hurt them?

2Guinea mother and keet question?  Empty Re: Guinea mother and keet question? Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:27 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

How old is the keet?

When my guinea hen hatched out babies, I kept her separate for a while (until the keets feathered out of their baby fuzz). It was in an enclosure where the male could see and be near, but not directly in with them. He hung around outside of the pen constantly. When I let them all out together, he made an excellent Dad and the keets were just as likely to follow him about the yard looking for goodies as they were the Hen. (I found that my guineas paired up). Maybe you could try it, but stay there to watch and step in if he shows aggression?

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

3Guinea mother and keet question?  Empty Re: Guinea mother and keet question? Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:39 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My guineas always work as pairs, so yes I would allow him in. I have never seen my males aggressive towards my babies. What they do is they both protect them, the male actually stays with the babies while the female attacks predators.
But mine also free range I dont lock them up, so that might make a difference if he really wants out.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4Guinea mother and keet question?  Empty Re: Guinea mother and keet question? Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks a million to the 2 of you! After reading I went and put him in with the family when I got home from work, and he's as proud as punch to be with them and acting really good around them!!! Very Happy it was the same with my muskovys, the old man really wonted to be with the hen and duckling so I put him in and he's been a really good father to them!! He watches them and protects them!! It's nice to see!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum