Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting pumpkins. when and how?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would like to grow fancy pumpkins this year. I tried last year with only some success. This year I would like to ry again. I have some seeds, but when do I start them? We get a dump of snow at the end of May every year, so they cant go out into the garden until about the second week of June. I dont want to start them and then have them weedy/thin/stringy/too big/too small before translpant.

What size and type of containers should I use?
When should I start them?

Is anyone bringing started pumpkins to the Millet sale?

2Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:04 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I start them in the ground in my manure pile. If you start in pots, I have heard it suggested you use peat pots that will dissolve in the ground. Apparently squash do not like their roots disturbed.

3Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:19 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

When do you start them?

Also I was told to not plant them in chicken manure as the nitrogen is too high, but then other people are saying that is exactly where you should! All very confusing

4Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:33 am

The probable reason why they are advising the no Chicken Manure thing is it needs to compost first. Rabbit Manure, on the other hand… giv’er.

I have excellent success with squash, typically, and I start mine in any pots or containers I have available however, like Sue said, I try very hard not to break the roots when I pull them out.

The key to not having spindly squash starts is light. If the light is, essentially, laying over top of the dirt as it starts and only raised enough to keep it from laying on the sprouted plants. I find they grow really well really fast and then slow down because they’ve pulled the nutrients out of the potted soil, so I like to add something like organic fertilizer after their first true leaves are starting to get big (this year will be rabbit pellets). I start squash about a month before I’m going to put it in the ground. I have had success with squash plants surviving frost if they’re covered and the blankets aren’t laying on top of them, but it can be risky.

Hope this helps.

5Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I direct seed mine into the manure pile in June. Any light frost will kill them. They love the heat manure piles emit, and you'll notice sometimes the leaves will turn upside down to absorb the heat from the manure.
All winter and spring the manure from the stalls gets piled beside last years garden, and becomes this years pumpkin patch. Next year, it too will be garden.

6Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I also plant in paper pots that canbe planted without disturbing the roots.

7Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:49 pm

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will have a pile from over winter with my rabbits. They have been poopin through the wire all winter and my clever plan was to move the hutch and ignore the pile come spring. Can I plant right into that pile?

8Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Im not sure Rabbit Manure is "hot" enough. It's considered 'cold' or 'green' manure...

Maybe someone will have more info.

9Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sweetened wrote:Im not sure Rabbit Manure is "hot" enough. It's considered 'cold' or 'green' manure...

Maybe someone will have more info.

Rabbit manure can be used right out of the rabbit. It does not have to be aged. Can't remember anything else right now sorry

Geri

10Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:12 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The biggest problem with manure and plants is burning them. So you'll be fine planting right in rabbit manure.

11Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hillbilly wrote:The biggest problem with manure and plants is burning them. So you'll be fine planting right in rabbit manure.

Boy I sure want to start planting but there is still 3 feet of snow here

12Starting pumpkins. when and how? Empty Re: Starting pumpkins. when and how? Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

From Story's guide to raising rabbits

"Rabbit manure contains higher proportions of nitrogen and phosphorous than many other manures, and more potash than most. It won't burn plants even when applied fresh. It comes ina convenient round, dry form."
Geri

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum