Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Turkey starting to come around

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Turkey starting to come around Empty Turkey starting to come around Mon May 09, 2011 6:04 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Finally got my hands on a pair of young Bronze turkeys and had been waiting for eggs. Built her a nice nest box and everything.

Her first two eggs were laid from the roost. Splat!

Last night I finally found a beautiful egg. She laid it on TOP of the nest box but at least she getting closer and it was in good shape. lol!

2Turkey starting to come around Empty Re: Turkey starting to come around Mon May 09, 2011 7:48 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had the same thing with a young Ridley Bronze, she was laying on top of the chick brooder!! One day she was setting up there so I moved her over to the nest box, there was already two eggs in there, went back later and the third egg was layed and she is now setting on eggs in the nest box.

3Turkey starting to come around Empty Re: Turkey starting to come around Mon May 09, 2011 7:55 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm going to hatch whatever I can from her. I do hope she goes broody at some point. She was hatched and raised by her mother so I'm hoping she has good instincts for it.

4Turkey starting to come around Empty Re: Turkey starting to come around Mon May 09, 2011 8:08 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you let them free range they like to play "hide the eggs" and they are really good at the game. LOL

5Turkey starting to come around Empty Re: Turkey starting to come around Tue May 10, 2011 5:52 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Another egg last night. This one was on the floor but I can see that she has actually been inside the nest. Maybe the next one will be on target.

6Turkey starting to come around Empty Re: Turkey starting to come around Tue May 10, 2011 7:22 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Can you put those two in the nest where she can see them?

7Turkey starting to come around Empty Re: Turkey starting to come around Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I only have the pair so I'm going to try doing some in the incubator first, then hope to let her go broody later on.

If it's like chickens, her earlier eggs may not be fertile anyway.

8Turkey starting to come around Empty Re: Turkey starting to come around Tue May 10, 2011 10:43 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Awww good point. Both of my hens are setting now, and I candled the eggs under the Ridley bronze girl and they are looking great.
The Beltsville white girl is setting one turkey egg and three chicken eggs, sneaky chicken getting in there somehow!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum