Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pumpkins...can you eat them all?

+4
happychicks
rosewood
heda gobbler
cuckoomama
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

My husband was paid in produce for doing a bumblefoot surgery on a neighbour's pet frizzle hen. She gave him tomatoes, zuchinni, fava beans and pumpkins. The pumpkins are small and yellow-orange with light flesh inside. I have made a stuffed, baked pumkin for dinner tonight and saved the seeds to toast for yummy pumkin seeds but what to do with the others? Are all pumkins edible? These are about 4 lbs each. What is the difference between a pie pumkin and a regular pumkin?

2Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:14 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

You know, pigs and chickens love them. I love giving a whole one to the pigs and watching them try to crack it open. The bigger the better!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

3Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:33 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pie pumpkins are usually smaller and sweeter than the giant pumpkins. Pumpkins are reputed to be a natural dewormer for chickens. The seeds can be spiced and baked as a treat. The ladies here boil, mash, mix in spices and freeze them for pumpkin pie filling here.

4Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 pm

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We've used both the pie pumpkins and the larger pumpkins for pies though the larger ones tend to be not as good. The chickens do love them and they are a good dewormer.

5Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:37 pm

All gourds are edible to my knowledge, even the decorative ones (they just taste verrrry bitter, but in a pinch -- cheap survival food). I think larger pumpkins get stringier, but I looooove pumpkin. On the small ones I grow, I even eat the skin!

6Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I managed to grow one! It is an amazing pumpkin. It is green and white on the outside with large ribs. I can't wait to see the inside!

7Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:05 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The small pumpkins are for pies, but I prefer sweet squash for pies. mM chickens go crazy over pumpkins. I like to buy them when they're cheap, take them out to the chicken yard and smash them down and let the chickens have a party

8Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:50 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I cut them in half, scoop out the guts, and roast them in the oven (cut side up) until you can stab a fork through the skin easily. Then I scoop out the flesh and puree it, and freeze in 2 cup portions. I use it in pies, cakes, cookies ...

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

9Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:15 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have never eaten a pumpkin served as a vegeatble dish. I don't know why since I usually like squash. But for some reason associate pumpkins strictly with pie.

How does a pumpkin taste compared to a butternut squash or acorn squash? Sweeter? Blander? OR is it like a spaghetti squash which to me has no taste at all.

10Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Empty Re: Pumpkins...can you eat them all? Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:08 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pumpkin needs some help in being a desireable food. Ingredients like sugar, herbs and spices are definitively needed although our chickens really like raw pumpkin.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum