Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Frustrated!!!!!!

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Frustrated!!!!!! Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had locked up all my birds except my guineas which I could not catch. We managed to trap 2 weasels and had no issues for a week. Last night my two guineas that I could not catch disappeared leaving feathers all over, do I suspect a coyote got them. I go into my hen house where all my chickens are and my 4 new guineas to find one dead looks like another weasel has moved in! When will it stop? I have lost well over a thousand dollars worth of chickens in the last year. I have done everything I can possibly do to protect my birds, but seem to be failing drastically! I am ready to throw in the towel on the heritage birds and keep the "ugly" layers only as thes seem to be the only birds that survive easily here. Thanks for listening to my rant as if I did this to hubby he would start cheering and grabbing the boxes to get rid of the rest of my heritage chickens. He likes white birds only.

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Re: Frustrated!!!!!! Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 pm

foal0069

So sorry to hear about yet more losses for you. I know how hard it is to get rid of weasels once they start. I lost all my guineas one year, they started on the six week olds that I had caged and went right through my entire flock. These were my rarer coloured ones and also my normal ones. Didn't touch my chickens. I finally got two pair of guineas this year and my daughter left her dog loose and I lost one pair. Am going to get eggs this spring and try again.

3Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Re: Frustrated!!!!!! Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I know exactly how you feel, it is very frustrating and heart breaking.

4Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Re: Frustrated!!!!!! Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:14 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

It also makes it really hard when the other half looks at his birds and sees them not being killed and having cost a lot less keeps telling me " see we should just have the cheap white leghorns. I love my colorful house but not sure if it is worth the frustration and heartbreak.

5Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Re: Frustrated!!!!!! Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Smoky you have endured an enormous amount of predator attacks this year, I can't believe it affraid Perhaps it is just one of those years and next year will see improvement?? I hope so there are not too many fanciers up here and it would be sad to lose you Sad I can not imagine how you must feel about this I get frustrated losing one or two birds nevermind many!!

Did you trap either of the first two weasels?? My uncle has some home made traps he uses made out of irrigation pipe and they seemed quite effective. If you are interested I could find out how to make them?? I am sure any type of 4 - 6 inch pipe would work... pcv maybe? I have not found a trap like his anywhere else.

Jeff felt the same way your hubby does... why would you pay so much for something when you can pay much less and get the same thing!! The first time I came to your place and picked up birds he could not believe the price (I knew it was fair Wink ) As time went on he began to realize they were more then meat and eggs to me, he started to see how much they meant to me and how I really enjoyed them. Hope your guy comes around too! It's bad enough losing the birds nevermind being nagged about it!!

Last week my four year old was out in the shop with us and we could hear her under the work bench talking away. We asked her what she was doing she replied "talking to a baby polar bear". A few minutes later she was still talking and the conversation seemed so real. Again we asked what are you doing? She replied "talking to the baby polar bear, he's a real one". So our six year old peeks under and says "MOM!! There is a white mouse under there". It disappeared before I could get a look. The next day DH calls me from the clinic to come quick... I walk into the shop to find a weasel sitting there staring at me.... 4 year olds baby polar bear Shocked I think it is a baby as it seems to have little fear of us or noise we make. It will come within three feet of us and the four year old was petting it...YIKES! It seems to be cuddly with our shop cat. I could not believe it!! We have not lost birds YET but I am sure it is only a matter of time.

I am trying a trap we have here and I will give it a few days as so far the little guy has posed no threat but if I can't cage him I will be giving my uncles trap a try. Must say dispite their evil chicken munching nature they are cute little buggers lol!

Wishes for better things are coming your way!!! I love you

Hugs,
Klassy

6Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Re: Frustrated!!!!!! Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:23 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

We trapped the first two and have rebated the traps using liver and heart from the chickens and turkeys we butchered. I saved them for just this purpose. I am really hoping to get the new "friend". Ours stayed away from the birds until the mice were depleted and then disaster in the coops!! I would get rid of the "polar bear" to be safe. They have a super nasty bite and if your little tile happens to try to hold it next time there will be a nasty bite! Thanks for the thoughts. I don't want to get rid of my birds, it is just frustration. I love my birds, but am going to need a major re-launch of them. I do still have my black Aussies, and cuckoo marans, but need to have a closer look to see what I am going to need to find for replacements. I know silkies, salmon faverolles, ameracaunas, black copper marans, orpingtons, and possibly jersey giants.

7Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Re: Frustrated!!!!!! Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:07 pm

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Oh yes! The polar bear must go!!!! After finding him I did a little research to find out how truly vicious they can be... thank goodness he was nice to my four year old on the first encounter! With fresh snow I went and took a look at where I found it's nest or whatever they live in out back and there are no tracks so I assume he has taken up permanent residence in the shop. Glad to know traps do work I wasn't sure if you had trapped yours or had really good aim Twisted Evil

I really wish I had some of the breeds you are looking for and could send them your way for all the kindness you have shown me Smile But I am still dabbling in trio's and quads of this and that, not breeds you are looking for. Now that my coops are all set up I am hoping to bring in lots of birds this spring too! Let me know if and when you are putting in a hatchery order... maybe we could go in together and share shipping costs?? Never did find the White Silkie's I have been itching so badly to get my hands on..... thanks to you Razz Anyway, hope you get your culprit!!!

Klassy

8Frustrated!!!!!! Empty Re: Frustrated!!!!!! Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:55 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Three weasels and still loosing the odd bird. Grrrrrr can I catch them all soon? I had just gotten a new bcm too to go out and find him dead same signs as all the rest! How many more can there be?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum