Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Any comments about CHB 2012?

+7
Arcticsun
k.r.l
poplar girl
Hidden River
KathyS
triplejfarms
toybarons
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Any comments about CHB 2012? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any comments about CHB 2012? Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:56 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

so some 2ft x 2ft x 2ft
and 2ft x 2ft x 3ft
and for the Large rabbits like Yours Piet
3ft x 3ft x 3ft would give all the Rabbit breeds that are shown here in Canada a correct size cage for the shows here.
Thank you for looking that up it is interesting
Joe

27Any comments about CHB 2012? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any comments about CHB 2012? Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great that you have them Rico and that is something the Rabbit club should have
Do you also have the Judging Boxes/Table
It would not be hard for them to build if not as our 4H kids built theirs.

I dont have Rabbits anymore but always enjoy the Rabbit shows

28Any comments about CHB 2012? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any comments about CHB 2012? Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Piet wrote:How would disease spreading be a greater risk then it is now using own carrier?
The rabbits live in the same close proximity and once they are on the table, the judge will juggle them directly together anyway. Once you show you tae a risk, no matter how you look at it. The cooping is far better for promoting the rabbits, because you can actually see what is out there. They can do it at the Europa show in Leipzig with 40.000 rabbits and no health issues there.

I would love to see the rabbits on display as well, It would greate a much more even and attractive display. But I was thinking about Snuffles. I was told a few years ago EARS had issues with people bringing snuffly rabbits to the show. I even had a rabbit develop snuffles at a show when I first started showing and removed it promptly. If rabbits are in open sided cages and then maybe different rabbitries mixed up by breeds, these problems may spread more easily. Rabbitries cooping their animals together with space or solid barriers between rabbits may slow disease from spreading. But i agree Piet, there are plenty of other opportunities for disease to spread.

29Any comments about CHB 2012? - Page 2 Empty Re: Any comments about CHB 2012? Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:23 am

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe then someone should get in touch with the rabbit club and talk to them?

I am not a rabbit person. Think they are cute but that is about it. I exhibit in the same building as they do but don't pay much attention to them. You really can't see the exhibits well being crammed into carriers and I don't understand the judging. Again, I am not a rabbit person.
If the rabbits were cooped so you could see them, I would be more inclined to look at them. Would even be good if someone where to have demonstrations to explain exhibiting rabbits and how they are judged. I feel people like me would find more interest in rabbits if they did.

Which brings up another idea. I know a lot of people would like to see them at the show but seminars are often difficult to set up.
What about demonstrations? For instance at the show there were heritage pigs, sheep and cattle. All they did was be there in their cages and not much else offered. What if exhibitors like this could put on a demonstration to explain the use and need of these breeds in today's world? Maybe a presentation, say 15 to 20 minutes long, twice during the day to explain the breed, the need for them and why preserving them is important.

Same could be done for poultry. Maybe a judging presentation for the public. I know I was asked many times by people looking at my birds to help explain elements of the show such as tag abbrevations, what's involved in getting a bird ready, why even show a chicken. Example: maybe someone could do a demo of how the bird is handled by the judge, how he looks at the entry and what aspects of a bird is important to a judge, something like that???

You could even have exhibitors do a demo of breeds. For instance have a cross section of poultry, maybe explain the difference of a meat breed, egg breed, and fancy. You could have both standard and bantam in the demo. Each exhibitor could explain why they chose their breed and why they feel the need of a poultry show has to be supported.

I think cost would be next to nothing. I'm sure those exhibiting would love the chance to talk to the public, to show off their animals and their importance and the public has something to take in besides the show itself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum