Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Things that make you wonder why you do this...

+9
toybarons
ChicoryFarm
SerJay
pops coops
silkiebantam
honeybrook
Skeffling Lavender Farm
BriarwoodPoultry
HiddenAcresBC
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

I guess you could say I have been having a sort of stroke of bad luck. It could be alot worse...but it sure could be better. Here are a few of my not so favorite things this month.

-Greenhouse/coop doors are opened in the middle of the night by intruder

-Same night 2 brand new mature Muscovy ducks go missing

-Few nights later door is opened again

-Next night my Welsummer breeding pen wire is cut open and the hens and roo are all migling with others in the morning

-Over the winter I have lost 3 healthy American rabbits to a fast and furios ear infection which left me with 3 does and 2 bucks.

-Last American buck has eye infection now I cant seem to beat.

-I found my prefectly healthy 20 pound Flemish Giant dead this morning for no reason

-Then find 1 6 week old American baby limp with head tilted up...culled him.

-1 cage with 4 6 week old babies the feeder fell out and they hopped away. Only found 2.

-I have lost 4 litters now to poor mothering, aborting and just not getting the nest box in on time - which was totally my forgetful fault but still very frustrating!

-I sell starter plants at the farmers market. I planted 500 peppers and tomatoes. Kids and I transplanted them a week ago. Half of them died because of a huge temp spike in out garden shed when the fan didnt run.

-And I got carried away selling hens and now I have more buyers than I have eggs...after spending all of Feb and March trying to give away extra eggs.

Im getting just a tad tired and frustrated. I could use a little good luck any time I think. Sigh. Sad

Jaclyn

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm sorry about your run of bad luck. Sometimes it seems like it never stops, doesn't it.

Hang in there, tomorrow something will happen that will make you smile and you will remember why you put yourself through this all - because it's worth it.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Does sound like rotten luck, but I think you have someone creeping around there too, either helping themselves or just causing trouble. Why was the wire cut in the run, muscovies missing, greenhouse doors opened more than one night? Can you install a motion detector light/camera out there or something? Chances are they will move on if they think you are onto them. Oh, and you have about 250 more pepper plants than I have. Very Happy People will be happy to get them from you if there are so few. Same with the eggs! Hugs, Claire

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

honeybrook

honeybrook

sorry to hear about your bad luck but i agree sounds like you may have a problem with vandles as well, hopfully spring will come and things will get back to normal

http://www.honeybrooklowlines.com

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh, Jaclyn, It sounds like you've been having a rotten time! Whoever is messing around with your birds needs to get a life, seriously.

It's tough when things seem to go wrong all at once. I hope things turn around for you!

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear about the run of bad luck, I wish i was living at home in B.C. I would camp myself out at your place for a week and catch whomever is doing this. I am sending good vibes and prayers to you to help change your lucky streak.

http://www.popscoops.com

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is terrible luck and I think some bored and awful people! I don't if this will help you but when my eldest was a toddler he was Houdini! He was climbing out of his crib at 13mnths and our kitchen door had an easy doorknob and lock so I had couple scarey mornings with empty crib and found him out in our backyard playing!! Heart failure! Anyways, I picked up a couple little noise thingys. Easy to install little tiny box goes on door and small piece goes on frame. There's a switch to turn it on and if the door is opened good grief the sound will be heard in the next town over! It would warn you if they are out there and probably scare the poop out of them. I think it was only about $5 at Walmart or hardware store and less than 5min install. During the day just flip the little switch and you can come and go then at night turn it on. I think theyre sold for putting on windows but work on doors as theyre magnetic so as soon the main box is moved away from the little piece on the frame it sets off one heck of an alarm! My son and his partner in crime our husky/shepard only needed one time with the shriek and then I only found them in the livingroom playing at 5am after that!

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry to hear all this HiddenAcres. Sounds like you need to get to the bottom of who's vandalizing your place.

This too shall pass. Hang in there.

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Thanks everyone for your well wishes...it sure can be frustrating!
Once we have the barn built and everyone moved into it I am going to get motion lights and a camera system set up. My barn is worth a whole lot more that anything else and I will protect it and whatever is living in it. WHoever is to blame for this is gonna get a arss whoopin Twisted Evil

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is a terrible string of bad luck. When it happens it does make you wonder why in the heck we are doing it all for? Things eventually do get better so hang on in there.

As for your gremlins. Have you told anyone what's happening? Maybe you could file a police report? If you can and you have some help, maybe you can steak it out and catch whomever is doing it.

Sending good vibes your way flower

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hidden acres, sending good luck your way and hopefully you will find out who is lurking in your yard at night.
So sorry about all the bunny troubles, one day soon you will wonder, what am I going to do with all these bunnies!

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Maybe I should come for a stay and bring my chicken-loving-house-and-barn-protecting doberman with me? She is not the kinda girl to just let anyone in, especially at night when they aren't supposed to be there...

edit to add...

OK BEST IDEA EVER.. The dog and I could BOTH sleep outside.. I will have a paintball gun and the dog can wake me up at the sign of intruders.. then I will PAINT their sorry hides..

I think I go loopy at exam time affraid

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

Ahaha Briarwood...that is just what I want to do! Paintballs flyin through the air chasing them down Twisted Evil Muahaha! But Im pretty sure Id be the one in trouble for shooting at intruders. This world aint what it used to be Wink

Jaclyn

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shoot, shovel and shut up.

Oh wait, that's for stray dogs...

... still...

loushrop

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I would definitely try finding out who is cutting the wires on your pens. That would solve part of the problem. But good things are going to start happening to you. Think positively. I too am sending good luck vibes your way and hugs to cause I think you could use a good hug. Lou

Toaster

Toaster

How awful, what a run of bad luck I am sorry Sad

HiddenAcresBC

HiddenAcresBC

And to top it all off...I now have my one and only remaining Khaki duck with a broken or badly sprained foot. My One and only Male Muscovy disappeared last night but unfortunately left behind a few feathers...and... and... and... Neutral Crying or Very sad Sad Mad

Whoa is me.
I promise the pity party will end soon. But for now Im knee deep in frustration and melancholy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum