Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The dilemma

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The dilemma Empty The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 am

I'm interested in learning to farm, maybe looking for an apprenticeship or helping out some old-time farmer who's lost his help or kids have moved away. I've posted a sign in the places locals do here mainly expressing interest in working with livestock but then it also occurred to me I may (or may not) get the opportunity with a field farmer... then it occurred to me they may or may not farm Monsanto...

Hrm. The battle with the conscience begins. Does it make me part of the cycle of deterioration if I help a farmer who farms Monsanto or GE crops? I'm not sure I'd be okay with that. On the other hand, there are many people in my area who have had the Monsanto devil come after them (like my landlord). Monsanto canola was found in his alfalfa field, from which he was selling bales, in which was monsanto canola. They've threatened him and he's now given up a quarter section of land to GE canola...

He's still a good guy, but he's yet another small time farmer who has been told do this or you'll be dragged through court and your life will be ruined.

What's not up for debate here is whether or not my landlord is a 'victim' in all this or if he had options or blah blah blah. What is up for discussion is moral lines being drawn on me taking a job with a farmer who farms monsanto, whatever their reasons.

What do you think!

2The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:19 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmm, a thorny situation for sure! I will not be any help, but will make a post anyway!

Are you wanting to apprentice under a farmer to gain his ethics/morals or to learn his techniques and skills?

If you have your own ethics/morals/philosophy firmly in place and are not seeking spiritual guidance, then you should be able to separate WHAT the man farms from HOW he does it. Because what you want to learn is the HOW. You can learn his HOW, without also going to the dark side yourself.

Of course, it would be better if a totally organic, hemp wearing, granola crunching, goat milking hippy took you under his/her wing. But in the event that does not happen, you might have to plug your nose and dive in with the monsanto crowd.

It's sort of like taking swimming lessons from a very skilled instructor, who wears a very offensive Speedo. Look the other way. HOWEVER...for each of us there is a tipping point where our morals are too offended to look the other way. I could never work for someone who I felt abused their livestock or kept them in inhumane conditions. If you feel that strongly about monsanto farming...then you have to know this about yourself before hand.

You said your landlord is a good guy and yet farms some monsanto (they do NOT get a capital letter from me, lower case all the way)He farms monsatan and yet you live on his property. If you are able to make peace with that situation, you can probably find your way around your current conundrum.

3The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Going to be an interesting discussion, me thinks.

Just thought I'd add, what exactly would you like to learn about dirt farming? If you're thinking about going into it commercially, then you may have to look at "aprenticing" to a Monsanto Monster Farm. Consider however, if your interests lay in figureing out how to link the GPS into the new John Deere 1070 Combine, or which header works better on barley ect.

And when you say "Monsanto" I am going on the assumption your refering to any large agribuisness (Viterra, Dow chemicals ect.) Just a heads up, that most modern farming operations have some connection to them, through fertilizer, pesticides, seed contracts ect.

4The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:24 pm

uno wrote:Are you wanting to apprentice under a farmer to gain his ethics/morals or to learn his techniques and skills?

If you have your own ethics/morals/philosophy firmly in place and are not seeking spiritual guidance, then you should be able to separate WHAT the man farms from HOW he does it. Because what you want to learn is the HOW. You can learn his HOW, without also going to the dark side yourself.

Very wise point Uno. It is the how I want to learn, but it seems I never let that be put in perspective. It's always interesting to see the outside look on things.

uno wrote:Of course, it would be better if a totally organic, hemp wearing, granola crunching, goat milking hippy took you under his/her wing. But in the event that does not happen, you might have to plug your nose and dive in with the monsanto crowd.

It's sort of like taking swimming lessons from a very skilled instructor, who wears a very offensive Speedo. Look the other way. HOWEVER...for each of us there is a tipping point where our morals are too offended to look the other way. I could never work for someone who I felt abused their livestock or kept them in inhumane conditions. If you feel that strongly about monsanto farming...then you have to know this about yourself before hand.

You said your landlord is a good guy and yet farms some monsanto (they do NOT get a capital letter from me, lower case all the way)He farms monsatan and yet you live on his property. If you are able to make peace with that situation, you can probably find your way around your current conundrum.

Excellently put. I would love to find a goat milking hippy, however reality is I live in Saskatchewan which has an extremely high percentage of conglomerate farmers, and the lovely people from here (who may or may not milk goats or be a hippy) are not really in range save a couple.

My landlord is planting monsanto for the first time this year and has dug up much of his alfalfa field in order to do so. I went to pay the rent, he was tilling up out back. Like a stranger with candy, he asked if I wanted to go for a ride (he did the same to Moose later); having never been in a massive tractor, I was not about to turn that down. He was very scared, had $30,000 put into doing this and, just from talking about offshoot topics, I managed to put the picture together. He's borrowed everything he can to do this and is very scared. I can say though, I've been researching naturally round-up resistant plants in an attempt to find a list of them to plant -- this isn't because I want him to fail, but because I want GE crops to struggle to survive as much as possible. I will be testing my well water in preparation for the fight I'll have on my hands if they taint it with their chemical.

Swamp Hen wrote:Just thought I'd add, what exactly would you like to learn about dirt farming? If you're thinking about going into it commercially, then you may have to look at "aprenticing" to a Monsanto Monster Farm. Consider however, if your interests lay in figureing out how to link the GPS into the new John Deere 1070 Combine, or which header works better on barley ect.

And when you say "Monsanto" I am going on the assumption your refering to any large agribuisness (Viterra, Dow chemicals ect.) Just a heads up, that most modern farming operations have some connection to them, through fertilizer, pesticides, seed contracts ect.

I'm primarily interested in livestock. I, like Uno, would never work for a person if I found their style of care cruel or inhumane, however I have no ground experience with anything except Chickens and a minor bit of horses. I'm interested in dirt farming in that I'd like to learn how to plant alfalfa and hay-type stuff (see? so technical) and learn how to harvest them using farm equipment so I have both sides of the coin to work from. I know how to harvest by hand, I thought it wouldn't be a terrible opportunity to learn the auto-pilot ways. Honestly, my primary drive is to get me out of the city, out of an office, out in the air.

When I say "monsanto" I refer to the GE crop manufacturers in general. I lump them together because I've heard about monsanto goons coming out this way and harassing/threatening farmers who are already financially extended for whatever reasons. The guys they don't threaten already work for them, I assume.

I suppose there's a moral battle put aside every day Moose and I drive into work, putting miles on a vehicle that is fueled by petrol products. I've rationalized that, I suppose, with the fact that we car-pool (primarily because I don't drive much). As Uno said, I can look at it for the HOW rather than the what, I suppose it's all the same. Livestock farming rings true to me though, and I've already become 'afflicted' with The Bug. Chickens have ruined me. I'm always learning new things, always researching, trying to learn what to pick out, what to ignore, and I want to expand my horizons on that when it comes to the world of farming and self-sustainability.

Perhaps I make no sense.

5The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:52 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened, do you really want to learn to 'farm' or do you want to 'homestead'? Realistically, are you wanting to be a 'farmer' or do you want to grow your own food and be more self-sufficient in your lifestyle?

Just wanting clarity here. Do you see yourself owning your own farm one day?

6The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Have you looked at becoming a WOOFER ? Can't remember all it stands for but it is apprentices working on organic farms. I took one the first year I did my CSA. she was awesome. Helped a lot andearned a lot. Win win.

7The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:17 pm

ChicoryFarm wrote:Sweetened, do you really want to learn to 'farm' or do you want to 'homestead'? Realistically, are you wanting to be a 'farmer' or do you want to grow your own food and be more self-sufficient in your lifestyle?

Just wanting clarity here. Do you see yourself owning your own farm one day?

I would like to learn to do both. I would like to own my own farm, but not on a large scale. My farm will (ideally) feed my family, sustain a humanely raised, all-cherished livestock system and grow many vegetables. It will (ideally), make enough money to be my full time job. I look at a homesteader who makes money off their work as a farmer; perhaps that's a mistake of mine.

I hope I didn't muddle the answer to your question.

susan wrote:Have you looked at becoming a WOOFER ?

I sure have not, I've never heard of it before. I will look into this and see if there's anything like that in my area that's on the carpool way to work. I'm guessing you mean this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

8The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:30 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

There is also this group which we are considering bringing into our home: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9The dilemma Empty Re: The dilemma Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:24 am

Arcticsun

Arcticsun
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would say defintiely take the opportunity to work with or for a Monsanto farmer. Learn why, what he thinks, how it works etc. It is always better to fully understand what you are taking a stand for, or against. Get all the experience and knowledge you can.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum