Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Duckling dilemma

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Duckling dilemma Empty Duckling dilemma Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

A bit of a back story:  I had a duck (No. 1) setting on some eggs for a few days until a voraciously broody hen (one of Coopslave's Marans/Chants) took over the nest and would not budge!!  So the duck decided to set another batch of eggs and is now safely ensconced in a box stall where she won't get marauded.  

So duck No. 2 had hatched a brood a while back and they did not survive.   Crying or Very sad  She has been out and about for a while now.

So, today saw 6 ducklings hatch under the Tyrannosaurus Chant, with another few eggs left to go.  I found her protecting 6 dry ducklings a ways away from the nest.

So I stole the ducklings and caught Duck No. 2 and put them all in the safe boxstall with food and water and shavings. T.Chant immediately returned to the couple of remaining eggs which may be duds. Duck No. 2 was staring at the ducklings in the boxstall, very interested, but had not run over to brood them by the time I left them earlier.  I am hoping they bond.

Anyone - what are my chances?  Should I prepare a brooder box with heat?  How long can I leave this situation if she hasn't bonded with them in a couple of hours?  I don't want to head into nightfall with the 6 ducklings depending on their own body heat, yet I'm reluctant to barge in there if surrogate Mama is just about to jump in there!

I'm heading out there now for a look.  It's been about 2 hours that they've been out there together in the peace and quiet, and I hope to find Maternal bliss when I check, but if it's not happened yet, should I grab them??

2Duckling dilemma Empty Re: Duckling dilemma Wed May 28, 2014 9:05 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Farmchiq
I would grab them if so is not keeping them warm. It is still chilly at night so no point taking a chance.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

3Duckling dilemma Empty Re: Duckling dilemma Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

Thanks Heather - I did just that. I went out and when I walked into the stall the babes all ran for "Mama" but she did not shelter them. So I set them up with a heat lamp and a safe spot.
Mama can get to them if she decides to take them in. Also, it's supposed to be nice and warm tomorrow so I will open one side of the low-sided box they're in so they can get out, and maybe, fingers crossed, when I get home from work they will have bonded.

I hope this will be adequate. I can brood them if need be but I know there's nothing like a Mama Muscovy to do that the best, so fingers crossed.

4Duckling dilemma Empty Re: Duckling dilemma Thu May 29, 2014 7:04 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh boy, I think you certainly did the right thing. Mamma will take over, if she gets the inkling, but not sure really, never encountered this with the Muscovy breed personally. I do know it would have been difficult for a hen to raise baby ducks, especially when she thinks they are all committing suicide going into ponds of water, smiling. They will be safe with heat lamp. I would like to hear how things progress, this is interesting. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

5Duckling dilemma Empty Re: Duckling dilemma Thu May 29, 2014 8:07 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Good going Farmchiq, hopefully when you get home there will be family bliss which will save some work for you, as you said nothing like having a duck mama.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum