Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Replaceing parts on a hovabator

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Replaceing parts on a hovabator Empty Replaceing parts on a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:46 am

Rosies

Another question for all you brilliant people. I have another hovabator that is a still air I was going to use as a hatcher but just did one batch in it and lost most of an expensive batch due to low temp. When I first plugged it in I had it in a cool room so put a crochet blanket under and around it and the temp was 99.5. So unplugged til I needed it, time came to use it and I plugged it in in our livingroom up off the floor and couldn't get temp above 98 with the screw turned all the way to the increase side. Took it apart put it back together and seemed to help a degree so put all my lockdown eggs in. When the chicks started hatching they knocked the thermometer over so couldn't tell temp anymore but about 36 hours passed after first one popped out and 2 chicks died??? Most of the smaller cross eggs hatched but almost all my cuckoo and bcms didn't. Opened it up looked at the thermometer it said 92

2Replaceing parts on a hovabator Empty Re: Replaceing parts on a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:59 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

What kind of thermometer are you using? Are you always placing it at the same height?

I swear by my Brinsea Thermometer- accurate to .1 degree. I compared it to every thermometer i have and all the others are different.

In a still air the difference in height of a thermometer is huge. Since there is no fan to mix the air you have layers of temperatures. My still air hovabator gives me hatches that surpass both circulated air models, but if I move my thermometer even 1/2 a centimeter the temperature can move up or down half a degree. Measure temperature from the top of the eggs and recognise the bottom of the eggs will be cooler. Actually this may be more natural as a hen provides heat this way. The temperature will be warmer on top of the eggs and cooler at the bottom.

3Replaceing parts on a hovabator Empty Re: Replaceing parts on a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had the same issue with an older one I had here. I ended up throwing that one away. I would keep a light blanket over it and if need be get a new thermostat. It many have gotten damaged in travel If this is one that came from me it has had two trips one of which was through the postal system. I had planned to buy a fan for it and have a new thermostat to have on hand as my cousin has had to replace it on her hova with the full window. I had one hatch I had to wrap it in a blanket but put it down to its location which was under a large window that was quite cool. Hope it works out and sorry to hear you had a poorer hatch

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4Replaceing parts on a hovabator Empty Re: Replaceing parts on a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:23 pm

Rosies

I did have the thermometer on an egg carton when I started it up but put the eggs loose this time on there side so the thermometer ended up on the grate. Will try again with a blanket see how it goes. If anyone has any cheap mixed eggs they would like to sell me I will test it out with that. Also I read that still air has to be a higher temp so is it 101.5 during incubation and what should it be during lockdown? It is the one from you smoky but no worries I am just getting the hang of things here so it's all good. I will pick up a thermostat too just in case it needs to be replaced.

5Replaceing parts on a hovabator Empty Re: Replaceing parts on a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Rosies

I think I I'll also pick up a brinsea spot check thermometer just in case.

6Replaceing parts on a hovabator Empty Re: Replaceing parts on a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rosies, check your PMs!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum