Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatching in a hovabator

+3
smokyriver
uno
Rosies
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatching in a hovabator Empty Hatching in a hovabator Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Rosies

So I have had a few batches now and some chicks will hatch on the 18 th day all the way up to 4 days late????? In the same incubator. They are on a turner with a thermometer on top of the eggs and I always check and it's right on the mark so is this a hovabator thing or whats going on?? Everytime I go to shut off the bator and clean it there is either a pip or a chick sitting there squawking at me cause it's oh so lonely as I already pulled everyone out.

2Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:36 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have 3 thermometers at different places in my incubator. They NEVER say the same temperature. There is a strong liklihood that the outer corners of your bator are cooler and the centre is warmer. In that case, your eggs will develop at slower/faster rates.

Moving the outer eggs to the middle and middle eggs out can help with this a little.

3Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:44 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is this one of the bators you got from me? I found if it was anywheres near a furnace duct or window my hatch would be funky like that, but if placed in an area where either thing was not present my hatch would be normal. I also had my thermometer along the outside edge and this gave me the best hatch where most would hatch at day 20-22

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:17 pm

Rosies

It's not specifically the one from you as I rented 2 from chickencrazygirl as well. So have had 3 hovas going for the last months and they have all been wonky like that. There in my bedroom which is the warmest room. Also had them in the livingroom but doesn't seem to make a big difference.

5Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

When you candle eggs do you shuffle them around or pick them up, candle, and replace in the same spot? The bator might have hot/cold spots, so if you shuffle them around as you candle, at least it might even out a bit Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

6Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Turn the top 1/4 turn 3 times a day.

7Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Size of egg can have an influence as well. Small eggs hit temperature quicker and can sometimes hatch a bit sooner. The big eggs take longer to make optimal temperature and can be a little delayed. I agree with the others, rotate the eggs. I even do that with my more reliable incubators.

8Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 am

Rosies

Ya when I candle I just pick up look and replace in the same spot. Will do the 1/4 turn of the lid on the batch and see what happens. Thanks for all the input.

9Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:01 am

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

BriarwoodPoultry wrote:When you candle eggs do you shuffle them around or pick them up, candle, and replace in the same spot? The bator might have hot/cold spots, so if you shuffle them around as you candle, at least it might even out a bit Smile
They both have circluating fans so should not be any hot and cold places. Chicks do hatch normaly one day before they are due to at times, plus a hatch even in my sportsman can take 2 days to complete. Don't think it is the hovabators going wonkey just chicks coming out when they want to.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

10Hatching in a hovabator Empty Re: Hatching in a hovabator Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:30 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Both my circulating and the uncirculating hova have differing temps. The uncirc has layers of temperature and the circulating has cols and warm corners. That's why I turn the circulating ones.

Oh, for a Sportsman!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum