Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How-to...hatching in a Hovabator and making it work!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I, like many people, have a Hovabator- an inexpensive, entry level incubator.  In fact I have three, two with a fan and one without.

I have been hatching for three years in these things and have learned a lot through trial and error. Here are some ways you can make your Hovabator at its peak of efficiency for you.

I was inspired to revamp a previous writing on this subject after posting recently. I had a superb hatch and along with my previous knowledge, I have Clayton and his excellent presentation on incubating to thank.

So some of my previous hatches were more successful than the others.  I have thought long and hard about my successes and failures and compiled a list of things I do to make my hatches more successful.

1. Humidity- I live in Dryberta.  There is much debate on adding water to increase humitity or not to add water.  Our climate is dry.  It makes sense to add water. I found an inexpensive hygrometer in Canadian Tire and have been using that to monitor humidity. I try to maintain 40 percent for incubation and 50 percent for the hatch.

2. Egg turner- Imperative if you want to maintain humidity and temperature, though you can get along without one.

3. Thermometer- You must have a good one specifically developed for incubation.  I find there is huge variation between different thermometers.  I think that an accurate thermomater in one of your most important resources. Mine is from Clayton and I use it constantly. I take the temperature three times a day just on the top of the eggs and watch and record the high and low temp in a heating and cooling cycle. Then I find the average and that is my temperature. I tweak as needed. Even in a Hovabator with a fan the temperature varies wildly throughout the incubator, often a difference of three degrees. Because of this I always turn the top one quarter turn three times a day to distribute the heat differently. Also when I lockdown the incubator I am very vigilant for temp changes. Often a spike happens at that time and could damage the hatch.

4. Fan in the incubator- not necessary! the still air works just as well. The major difference is the layers of air temperature. Without a fan they are rarely mixed. Heat rises. The difference of a centimeter when measuring the temperature may mean several degrees difference. Still air makes temperature regulation difficult.

5. Location- I hatch downstairs.  The temperature there varies very little.  Upstairs I find as the house warms and cools during the day it changes the incubator temperature substantially.

Gotta go, my still air Hovabator is hatching as we speak!

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us cheers

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ah, Sue, well isn't that just darn nice, with your new computer, I am sure you are finding it much easier to ramble, smiling that big smile. Gonna become a ramblin' gal???

You have taken the time to type out the instructions (I know you are not the fastest typist, so this WAS a big deal for you). Thank you. I am sure that it will help those that have become very frustrated with their units, and you may have made their travel down that road just a little more easy. Good for you!! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Ah, Sue, well isn't that just darn nice, with your new computer, I am sure you are finding it much easier to ramble, smiling that big smile. Gonna become a ramblin' gal???

You have taken the time to type out the instructions (I know you are not the fastest typist, so this WAS a big deal for you). Thank you. I am sure that it will help those that have become very frustrated with their units, and you may have made their travel down that road just a little more easy. Good for you!! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Well, not much luck with me becoming a rambling girl. I tend to be brief by nature. Those old hovas can be a pain but they are plentiful and cheap and if you are hatching your own chicks and have lots eggs then they are worth the effort. The only issue I have is time. I don't have much and a temperature check for three hovas, three times a day takes me an hour and a half!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thought I would bump this thread. I used hovabators long before I bought the glory that is Brinsea. Hovabators....they will make you humble!

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bump 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum