Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chickees mom, these pics are for you!! Pics of my seed starting...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I hope everyone else enjoys them too. Starting seeds keep me from going crazy all winter.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is the kit I bought at Lee Valley this year. It is nice, but has it's issues. It is self-watering, which is nice, but keeps the soil too wet, and does not allow the soil to dry out between waterings. It just means there is a pretty green layer of moss growing with my seeds. It was essentially a gift from my FIL and I really enjoy it on my counter. I have leeks and onions, 2 kinds of peppers, 3 kinds of tomatoes, 2 wave-type petunias and some celeriac. I have never grown celeriac before, but love eating it. The top is usually down.

Below, is what I have going on downstairs!

These are my main lights

This is a tray of cilantro and basil. I will make a bunch of herb baskets to sell at the local spring fair. Beside it is a tray of pansies for the local greenhouse.

There is a pile of things in here. Mostly for the local greenhouse. Tumbler tomatoes, peppers, lobelia (I am having issues with) and bacopa. In the long flat tray is about 500 portulaca. I was warned they are small and fragile looking. It took me along time to notice they were actually up. The other half of that tray is wave petunias for the greenhouse.

These are some herbs and my celery. I am a celery addict. Hopefully my greenhouse will be functional in the next couple of weeks and it will go into the ground.

Lastly, my pride and joy. These are my seed geraniums. They look amazing. I need to pot them up and get them out to my neighbour's greenhouse soon.

I am not a total newbie to starting seeds, but every year I have successes and failures. This year has been really good, except for 350 wave petunias I killed with too much water. I am getting a lot of experience starting seeds for the local greenhouse.

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well thank you so much, great to see all that green growing, ha ha...what a wonderful sight.
Wow you have lots started and a great set up.
I have one that is three tiers of lights, so pretty much the same set up.
Spent a couple hours this morning planting, when it is time to transplant they go out into my hoop green house. Nice to feel some dirt under my nails.

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think I am going to have to buy another set of lights. I am running out of space fast. Next year, when I am better set up, they will go out to the greenhouse as soon as they are potted up. I didn't manage to get the natural gas trenched out to it last winter, so I have to wait for the thaw. I potted up my wave petunias today and planted a few more tomatoes. Next Monday everything goes over to the local greenhouse. I started her seeds while she was on holidays and she is going to keep my stuff until my greenhouse is ready to go. Nice trade!

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

Very jealous of those of you with lights! My spare room looks like a miniature jungle right now, from crowding everything under the patio doors!

Prairie_Crocus

Prairie_Crocus

Wow - your plants look so sturdy! I'm trying my hand at starting a few plants this year for the first time. Tomatoes (Tiny Tim and Roma), peppers, celeriac all look pretty good, but broccoli and brussell sprouts look very sad! I was thinking maybe they are too wet? I have everything in a south facing window (my living room has become a jungle) - where would you recommend getting grow lights for next year's attempt?

HighCountry

I too have a bunch of seeds started in my greenhouse. I also have been brooding my chicks in there. The other day one of the Buttercups escaped from the brooder and enjoyed leveling my freaking peppers, dianthus and pansies. Kinda funny but not really.

http://www.highcountryshetlands@xplornet.com

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Prairie Crocus, I just use shop lights and I buy one grow light and use one regular daylight bulb in each ballast. The ballast is about $30 each and you can buy at any hardware store. You will have to look around for the grow light bulbs though.

High Country, I had a friend last year that put here baby geese too close to the tomatoes and lost about 6 geese because tomatoes are very toxic to animals. Wouldn't it be nice if the animals and the plants could all live harmoniously in one building!

HighCountry

Good to know ... I have since put wire over the brooder LOL

http://www.highcountryshetlands@xplornet.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum