Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Starting Rose Bushes from seed?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Just wondering if anyone has experience doing this?

We had the biggest most beautiful roses at our old home. Three bushes out front, not sure what variety? They did not produce many blooms the years we lived there but the roses were some of the largest I have ever seen.

Not sure I am using the right terms but.... One of the blooms produced a seed pod so I kept it! Opened it up and it was full of seeds!!

How do I start them? What time of year? What depth should I plant them at and is there certain soil I should use? Any advice appreciated!! Thanks!

2Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I started my calamonian orange tree seeds by putting them on water soaked paper towel, then put in a

plastic dish, before putting the lid on, cover the top of the seeds with another couple of pieces of soaked

paper towel. Close lid, leave in a warm place. Could take awhile, so don't give up. But you can keep

checking, it doesn't hurt the seeds. I have mine in a south facing area. They came up like crazy and are

going well. Have them all spoken for once they get planted into their own pots. They are sharing pots

right now, as there are 22 of them, and the odd one still coming up. I planted 27.

But I wouldn't put all the seeds in, I would go on various rose sites and gardening forums, ask people that

have grown "roses" this way. Don't want to waste all the seeds at once. Good Luck. I love roses. Smile

3Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have never done it I always took slips
But here is a good page on growing from seed

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

4Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:15 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

appway....Very interesting. This is something I would like to try with a couple of old roses. Thanks for

the info. Smile

5Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:58 pm

I have been useing the ziplock baggie way to germanate seed's and it works great .Put the seeds on a paper towel and fold the paper towel so that the seeds are inbetween .Slide it into a baggie ,add enough water to get the paper towel wet everywhere ,seal it and lay it on top of your fridge ( nice and warm theer ) .check every few days and soon you'll see sprouts ,then just transplant them .I have done this with Pomegrant/Papaya seeds and will be doing some more hard to grow seeds soon .I want to find some more native seed such as the wild Rose and start them from seed as well .Good luck

6Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

Thanks for the suggestions! I am excited to get these seeds going! A little bit of my old life joining my new life! I will have to take a look at the links tonight when I have a bit more time. I will be so pleased if I can get them to grow Very Happy

7Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:23 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This could be interesting. I do know with many flowers, if they are hybrids, gathering seed from them is dici. You will get germinated product, of course, but the resulting plants will take on the characteristics of one of the parents. If the rose is a true rose with no hyridization, I imagine it would work, otherwise, you might be disappointed. For sure though, try it, who knows, maybe it is not a hybrid rose. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

8Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:10 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Let us know how it works (and keep track of what you did).

I've always started them from digging out a piece with some root. Who knows what seed might give you? I found one in a ditch (that would have had to start from seed) that was thornless.

9Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Empty Re: Starting Rose Bushes from seed? Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

I don't know much about hybrid plants, I thought if it was a hybrid it would have produced more then two or three blooms a year? I have no idea but it will be fun to try! All the advice has been very helpful!

I did find some good info in the links Appway posted. With roses it seems it is quite opposite in germination, that they need cold instead of heat. It is recomended to put them in the fridge for a few weeks until the roots get going. It also said they could be started in dirt but the process takes much longer.

Because they need to be so moist you can encounter damp off and mould issues. It was suggested for germination to put a water peroxide mix in the germination bag or to spray it over the dirt if planted. Have any of you used this method?

I actually did pop a few seeds into pots two weeks ago they have been in a cool area well, cooler then room temperature, so who knows? Today or tomorrow I will toss a few in the fridge and see. If they do get going it will be a few years until they begin to produce flowers but if all goes well it will be worth the wait!

Oh those georgeous blooms pink, yellow and red. These seeds are from the yellow bush. If it had not been February when we moved I would have dug them up and brought them along! I guess I still know where they are Twisted Evil

I thought it was interesting... The year my sister moved to town her place was pretty rough so I transplanted a bunch of flowers from my yard to hers and also took the red rose. Two months after transplant it produced many tiny blooms at the base of the plant that were in little clusters almost looked like a geranium. It looked pretty cool! If I can track down a pic I'll try to post it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum