Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weighing eggs for selling

+6
uno
fuzzylittlefriend
SerJay
rosewood
pops coops
ChicoryFarm
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Weighing eggs for selling Empty Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:43 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm looking for information regarding egg weights for selling. I want to feel good about the prices I am charging for my eggs and just got my digital scale and now I want to weigh my eggs, individually for my own interest and also by the carton, so I can be confident I am selling medium eggs for medium egg prices and large eggs for large egg prices. So far I have only found the info below by Googling and the source is from the US Department of Agriculture. The blurb above the sizes and numbers are their words. Does anyone know of any other sites with info regarding size and weights of eggs?

Sizing of Eggs
Size tells you the minimum required net weight per dozen eggs. It does not refer to the dimensions of an egg or how big it looks. While some eggs in the carton may look slightly larger or smaller than the rest, it is the total weight of the dozen eggs that puts them in one of the following classes:

Size or Weight Class Minimum net weight per dozen
Jumbo 30 ounces
Extra Large 27 ounces
Large 24 ounces
Medium 21 ounces
Small 18 ounces
Peewee 15 ounces

2Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most of my eggs are 55 to 65 grams will have to convert to me they are larg or extra large

http://www.popscoops.com

3Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:13 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is the weights from the BC Egg Marketing Board-[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Grade A eggs are weighed to classify them as Jumbo (70 gram or more), Extra Large (63-69 grams), Large (56-63 grams), Medium ( 49-55 grams), Small (42-48 grams), and Peewee (under 42 grams).

4Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:17 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's great rosewood. Thanks.

Pops I'd rather do grams myself so your numbers are good for me.

5Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:31 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We use the same site as Rosewood since we're also in BC Very Happy We have a digital kitchen scale so we pop them on and either they go in a large carton, medium carton or if they're small or peewee ( the majority!) or weird shells they go into our keeper container Very Happy

6Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I weigh too. If I have a bigish looking one thats 54 grams sometimes I sneak it into the large plus dozens. Then the rest are med/small.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

7Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got my new digital scale through my visa rewards points just for my eggs. Quite thrilled and it feels like I got it for free as well.

Thanks y'all!

8Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:03 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have weighed mine using an old gold scale from the early 1900s. I have a set of troy ounce weights, this is old stuff! And very time consuming tossing on or removing quarter, half ounces and pennyweights.

Now I don't bother. I just put eggs in a carton, all sizes, except really little ones I keep for myself. If someone makes a comment about the smaller eggs, I say I don't up charge for the larger eggs and will not down charge for the smaller.

9Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:08 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

uno wrote: I don't bother. I just put eggs in a carton, all sizes, except really little ones I keep for myself. If someone makes a comment about the smaller eggs, I say I don't up charge for the larger eggs and will not down charge for the smaller.

We do the same as Uno does. We had to raise the price of eating eggs to $4/doz in January and have not even been able to keep up with orders, despite the 50 cent increase. Feed costs have gone up here, and we deliver/meet people with eggs at various places for their convenience so overall I think it's fair. Still cheaper then $7 free range grocery store eggs!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

10Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:59 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't weigh the eggs we sell, but they tend toward extra large. I sometimes charge less for pullet eggs if we have a lot of these. Feed prices have gone up and so has the price of fuel necessary to deliver eggs to the farmers' market.

11Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I used to use this...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

But eventually you just get an eye for the size, or you just don't care anymore.
I sell my larges and up for one price, and anything smaller I keep, or sell for 50 cents less a dozen.

12Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:I don't weigh the eggs we sell, but they tend toward extra large. I sometimes charge less for pullet eggs if we have a lot of these. Feed prices have gone up and so has the price of fuel necessary to deliver eggs to the farmers' market.

Rosewood, what breed(s) do you have laying extra large just out of curiosity? I just weighed three separate cartons of Buff Orp eggs and they all fall easily into the large size category.

I have no doubt one day I'll just have to eye ball them and I'll know. Right now I'm still obsessed and love to take the time to know exactly what they weigh, get a feel for the weight and a visual to go with it. Love the old style scales. Mine reeks of modern'ism.

13Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:47 pm

karona

karona
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't weight my eggs either and have
been selling them for $4.00 doz for a few
years.

14Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:53 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rosewood, what breed(s) do you have laying extra large just out of curiosity? I just weighed three separate cartons of Buff Orp eggs and they all fall easily into the large size category.

I have 22 Miller Brown Leghorns which are not a Leghorn breed, but labelled that by Miller's Hatchery. They are an Isabrown type commercial laying hen. I'm going to sell them off in the fall and replace with our own Wyandottes as I can raise our own hens and it makes things simpler with coops and runs.

15Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:58 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

rosewood wrote:

I have 22 Miller Brown Leghorns which are not a Leghorn breed, but labelled that by Miller's Hatchery. They are an Isabrown type commercial laying hen. I'm going to sell them off in the fall and replace with our own Wyandottes as I can raise our own hens and it makes things simpler with coops and runs.

Good to know. Just needed to be sure there wasn't a heritage breed out there laying XL eggs that I didn't know about - lol! Thanks!

16Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:14 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

This information was supplied in another thread about eggs. Hope this helps, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

X-Large - 27 - 30 oz. per dozen - 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 oz. per EGG OR 64 to 71 grams

Large - 24 - 27 oz. per dozen - 2 to 2 1/4 oz. per EGG OR 57 to 64 grams

Medium - 21 - 24 oz. per dozen - 1 3/4 to 2 oz. per EGG OR 50 to 57 grams

Small - 18 - 21 oz. per dozen - 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 oz. per EGG OR 43 to 50 grams

Peewee - 18 oz. per dozen - 1 1/2 oz. per EGG OR 43 gramss

In Canada, modern egg sizes are defined as follows:

Modern Sizes (Canada) Size Mass per egg
Jumbo 70 g or more
Extra Large 63-69 g
Large 56-62 g
Medium 49-55 g
Small 42-48 g
Peewee Less than 41 g

My older buff orpington gals, three years old, consistently lay an egg between 62 to 70 grams. The pullets (June 2010 hatch) are almost as big as the older gals!! Haven't weighed them lately. There was a huge thread on the weight of eggs, can't remember which thread though. It was a thread that started about something and meandered to us showing and talking about the weight of our eggs. I remember it annoyed some people because the original thread got so convaluted, smiling that big smile. C.

17Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good to know. Just needed to be sure there wasn't a heritage breed out there laying XL eggs that I didn't know about - lol! Thanks

Cynthia mentioned that her older hens lay larger eggs and this has been my experience with older Wyandottes as well. They also become seasonal so you may be finding that they lay in the late spring and summer, but take the winters off like snowbirds.

18Weighing eggs for selling Empty Re: Weighing eggs for selling Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:17 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks Cindi. Very Happy

And rosewood that reminds me.....I didn't know about chickens' eggs getting larger after their first moult until I was preparing to sell my first heritage birds last year that I got from McMurray. It was about 2 months after their first moult that I handed them over to their new owner and I couldn't believe how big their eggs became a month earlier. I can look forward to that with my Buff Orps and Wyandottes come this Fall. I'm enjoying this thread and love weighing my eggs and getting a sense of what size my different breeds lay.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum