Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Outdoor Chicken Runs

+3
k.r.l
rosewood
KathyS
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Outdoor Chicken Runs Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:00 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

The spring melt discussion initiated by Fuzzy Little Friend got me thinking about my outdoor runs. I have basically 3 main runs, all permanently built. I also make some temporary enclosures during the summer to let groups of chickens eat down tall grass and weeds amongst the lilac bushes and areas like that. I don't have any chicken tractors at this time, and I'm not comfortable letting them completely free range without any fencing for their protection.
But no matter how big my runs are, and the main one is about 40 x 60 feet, the chickens still destroy any plant smaller than a sapling.
It would be nice to try some rotational grazing...and maybe keep the runs from being completely stripped of vegetation. Does anyone do this with any success?

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:11 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We built this run a few years ago for around $500. It has a gravel base and so far has proven to be predator safe. In the summer we put a trap over the whole run which keeps the chicken dry and provides some shade. This summer we are hoping to add 2 more of them. Normally we remove the trap for winter, but many of our chickens (our BLRWs and extra roosters) spent the winter in the hoop coop because we could not finish their new cop for winter. They had a couple heat lamps to cuddle under when cold. The plan was originally a greenhouse plan. It does not solve the smelly run problem.

Outdoor Chicken Runs 100_1606

3Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:29 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Kathy I have thought about this too. I am looking at building a few chicken tractors and trying the electric poultry netting.
What about adding a netted fence inside your run to rotate the birds in their runs. I have also read a article about giving each group of birds two runs so you can rotate them around in their runs to give the grass a break between grazing.

4Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:24 pm

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

I seen this on another forum, it maybe a solution to your problem if you just want to keep them with a green section.
Outdoor Chicken Runs 67374_chicken_run_204Outdoor Chicken Runs 67374_chicken_run_258
Chicken don't eat as much grass as we think, they tend to tear the roots up digging for bugs and rocks.

Reg.Outdoor Chicken Runs Henandworm-1

5Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:03 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Neat ideas! Rosewood that is a great looking pen!
I don't think I'll be going to all the trouble to build a raised wire-bottom run. There's no doubt it would keep their feet cleaner - nice option for those feather-footed breeds - and give them a bit of fresh grass when it grows high enough.
I do like KRL's idea. I never thought about fencing off pieces of the existing run to let the weeds and grass have a chance to grow, and rotating the chickens from one area to another. I do think I'll give this a try.
I also want to get some of that electric netting fence for temporary enclosures. Between the 2 methods I think I can keep them with some grassy areas all summer.
Thank you! Smile

6Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:27 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Our chickens don't get out of the run which proved to be a good thing this week except for the Light Brahma rooster that was a victim of our dog. The chickens do get the leftover hay in the feed trailer and greens from the garden and kitchen. When we first moved here the chiclens ran until we could enclose the rum. Months later we found a very large nest of eggs hiding in the bushes.

7Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:22 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah I think there was a cool pic in a book I read that had the run divided into 4 seperate corners and the little house in the middle, then they used each pen in a rotation.
Would work but you would have to make lots of gates and that is a lot of work...
I did make a pen on each side of my new chicken house thinking I might do somewhat like that but before you know it, I had put up another small house on the one side run and made another pen out of it!
Embarassed

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

8Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:45 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

mirycreek wrote:Yeah I think there was a cool pic in a book I read that had the run divided into 4 seperate corners and the little house in the middle, then they used each pen in a rotation.
Would work but you would have to make lots of gates and that is a lot of work...
I did make a pen on each side of my new chicken house thinking I might do somewhat like that but before you know it, I had put up another small house on the one side run and made another pen out of it!
Embarassed
I understand completely, Mirycreek. It would be an extreme test of my will power to have pens sitting there empty!

9Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:25 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have seen Rosewood's picture before and I think it is the best. About the wire above the grass. I don't like that idea at all. Can't imagine how uncomfortable it would be for chickens to be standing on wire for any length of time like that, hurt feet and wouldn't the toes maybe get caught in it. Not sure, but I would not go with a wire floor like that for sure, the holes are too big. Chickens sure can play havoc with the young new growth on things for surely. Luckily my gardens are pretty much out of sight of where the birds really like to free range, so I just let them go out of their pens to do their thing. I think that chicken tractors are wonderful for moving them around for land clearing though!! Yay!! You will have lots of answers coming for surely. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

10Outdoor Chicken Runs Empty Re: Outdoor Chicken Runs Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:52 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I actually really like the concept presented in rowdyroosters pics. I’ve never been keen on the idea of wire flooring covering the entire pen, (imo chickens need their feet on the ground and dirt to scratch in - kind of like me tongue ) but a single corner or area of the run built up to protect and promote green growth would work wonderfully. And I don't think it'd bother the chickens feet if the right sized wire was used? They could hop on and off as they liked. Not something I'd want the entire run to be, but a little section might be good...hmm. I will definitely be looking into incorporating something like that into my future pens. Thanks for posting the pictures! Smile

I also like rosewood's hoop house design. It looks simple to build and sturdy too. Is it made from pvc pipe? How does it hold up in strong winds?

KathyS wrote:
mirycreek wrote:Yeah I think there was a cool pic in a book I read that had the run divided into 4 seperate corners and the little house in the middle, then they used each pen in a rotation.
Embarassed
I understand completely, Mirycreek. It would be an extreme test of my will power to have pens sitting there empty!

Double ditto! Laughing Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum