Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Final update on coop and runs (very photo heavy)

+10
CynthiaM
Hidden River
Ruffledfeathers
Magdelan
HigginsRAT
KendraG
Butterboy
heda gobbler
authenticfarm
coopslave
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Had a very busy day today.  I am sore! Laughing 
I only have a few little things to do now.  Cut of the ends of the zip ties to make it look tidy, haul gravel around the edges to make it look tidy and stop the MUD a little.

It was very windy (go figure) and it was interesting putting up all the shade cloth by myself.  Getting pretty handy, just takes longer that's all.

Here are the photos.  I am pretty happy with it so hope it works ok.  I feel organised and ready for winter now.  I know I will need to do some tweaking, but that is just the way it goes at a new place.  The birds seem very  happy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Stood on the gravel pile to get this one.  Very Happy 

The cockerels had some squabbling.  Of course they all 'look' different outside.  Stupid birds.  So I will wait a day or two and see, but I would like to leave them all together.
The hens and pullets seem very happy all mingling in two sections of the coop and the two outside pens, so they will stay like that until they are moved into breeding groups.
Gonna see how it goes with the water outside on heaters.  May have to change my mind about that, but trying it first.
Thanks for travelling this journey with me!!

I better show you this poor old girl.  Hope she grows some feathers back fast, winter is fast approaching here!!!!

Last edited by coopslave on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling but prob didn't find them all....)

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looking good!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

That looks fabulous. Amazing how the shade cloth really pulls it all together. A good day's work!

Remember how worried you were about not having a good place for the chooks? You've really done a great job!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Butterboy

Butterboy

you have got some beautiful birds, you should really show in November

KendraG

KendraG

Your old girl must be related to my Eva because she looks even worse than that right now. Only she must be embarrassed because she will NOT let me get a picture of her in all her pinfeathery glory.

The coop looks amazing! We are still racing against winter to get our new one done ... getting closer though!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Looks excellent Coopslave, you will be able to relax while you go get your horses now, not worry about the kids while you are gone Smile . Have a good trip.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

HigginsRAT wrote: 
You may want to go get those horses, Rick just told me -20Cs are coming and might be socked in for two or so weeks...agh...I so hope he's wrong!

Warm right now... Mad 

Tara
Surely not true!! I am so undecided. Need to get some winter tires, just don't think I can be ready and back before the snow flies!

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hate the mountain passes in winter - yes, don't risk it without winter tires.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

That looks great Coopslave Cool 

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

It will be tested today. I hear a massive wind howling out there, I am almost afraid to go see. Guess I will see if I can track down at least a hammer (a sledge works better) and get these anchors sunk so it doesn't collapse and blow away!!! Shocked 

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fingers xx'd

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

It will be interesting to see what moves. I hope the lids on those garbage cans are secure! Good luck!

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:It will be interesting to see what moves.  I hope the lids on those garbage cans are secure!  Good luck!
Spoken like one who lives with the wind! I am trying my best to gauge where it comes from the most and strongest. Seems to come from the North and West most often, but yesterday was from the South. Locals say the South wind is rare but can be wicked so I kinda tried to set up for mostly North and West winds and deal with the Southerlies as they come.
I think the lids on the garbage cans are pretty good, and I tried to have them in a more 'protected' area, but with the sound of things out there I won't be surprised if some of the lids are gone.
Sun is up now, better get out there and run the dogs and check on things. So interesting learning a new place. All the feedback I am getting is great. Learning I have some things covered but other things I have not even thought of are being brought up. Thanks for the feedback.

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I use baling twine to attach the lids to the garbage cans, they blow off but cannot blow away. A bit like idiot strings on mittens! You learn to know "what the banging is". The glass in the outdoor light fixture for example rattles in the big blows.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:I use baling twine to attach the lids to the garbage cans, they blow off but cannot blow away.  A bit like idiot strings on mittens!  You learn to know "what the banging is".   The glass in the outdoor light fixture for example rattles in the big blows.
A bit like idiot strings on mittens! Love it. That's a great analogy and idea I have started using pieces of broken bricks to keep lids on. I doubt that would work for you though coopslave

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

The winds get so strong here I worry that things like bits of brick on a garbage can lid will just get airborn and come through a window or hit an animal as if from a catapult!

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Love your set up Coopslave. With your large openness you will really feel the wind for sure. But looks like you are keeping your birds pretty well protected and they will be happy.
We get the same winds, the one ones from the south are always our cold winds, bringing nasty weather, glad they don't happen very often. The ones I hate the most are the winter winds from the East, those are terrible. All our shelters face east to protect from the north and west winds, but the east winds blow up the shelters full of snow....

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Your set up really does look nice Coopslave. Serious. I made partitions like that for my three chicken runs, but not for wind, and they are only about 2.5 feet tall. The camouflage tarp was so that the chickens could not see each other, with the huge, moving around of the two different breeds. Massive move and it worked, they have no clue where their old homes were, until, they begin again to free range, smiling. Today, letting the works loose! You will be so happy to have such a nice set up. Is there small predators in the area? Have you been able to find out what predation you will need to protect from? Others should know and be able to keep you informed of what to expect. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM, I have seen coyotes, skunk, porcupine all in the last week. Heard there was a fox trotting up the drive before we moved in but haven't seen him. I see just a short way down the drive something that appears to be an old den. The dogs are not very interested in it so I don't believe it has been used for a long time.
I have not skirted the pens like I usually do. I plan to edge them all in deep gravel thou. The dogs are literally less than 20 feet from this coop. Even thou they are kenneled I believe they will be a big deterrent. My WEB female is also in a winter igloo house on the off side of the coop (farthest from the house). She is my chicken dog, does all the chores with me and see the chickens as HER business. Nothing will happen on that side of the coop and pens with her in charge. I have not been game to leave her loose at night with all the coyotes in the area. Don't want her drawn off doing her duty and have a pack get her. But she is very serious that things are just right as far as the chooks are concerned.
I have to also say I let the whole males pee all over the pens and up the drive. Just leaving messages for all out there that there is a new pack in town!! Laughing 
We are very exposed here. I don't see the little critters crossing the exposed open space to get to us up here, but time will tell. I worry, but not a lot at this stage, just no brush or tree cover for them at all.
Time will tell.

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I love the look with the shade cloth; what a great idea. looks very tidy and it will act as a wind blind as well Smile
I used to make my husband pee on the perimeter when ever he was out walking the dogs when we lived up in the mountains.. not sure if it works...but i am sure it added to any hesitation a coyote would have.
glad things are together for you

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like the tidy look the shade cloth gives it too. Hubby is not a huge fan of the chooks so keeping it tidy and sort of out of sight is a good thing. It really is close to the house and something you see as you drive in, so when they are all blowing feathers and looking a wreck it will not be the first thing that visitors see! Laughing 
Unfortunately not sure how much free ranging the chooks will get here so tried to make the pens as big as possible until I know what I can manage with them.

Will have to add some hubby pee to the mix, may make him feel important!!

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Has to be a guy thing, to pee or not to pee ! Its not a question they just do. lol

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:Had a very busy day today.  I am sore! Laughing 
I only have a few little things to do now.  Cut of the ends of the zip ties to make it look tidy, haul gravel around the edges to make it look tidy and stop the MUD a little.

It was very windy (go figure) and it was interesting putting up all the shade cloth by myself.  Getting pretty handy, just takes longer that's all.

Here are the photos.  I am pretty happy with it so hope it works ok.  I feel organised and ready for winter now.  I know I will need to do some tweaking, but that is just the way it goes at a new place.  The birds seem very  happy.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Nice set up you have there coopslave!Very Happy 
I like the shade cloth that you used. Where did you get them and how did they cost?
Thanks again for making this thread.cheers

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Shade cloth came with the dog kennels. I am not sure where else you could get it especially with grommet holes in it already. We used it a lot in Australia and it was readily available. Even in the size you wanted or bought by the roll. Not sure about here.
Best place to get the dog kennels is Costco in the spring. They are 10 x 10 with the shade cloth and a roof.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum