Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

People have Asked me why i do not sell eggs

+6
HigginsRAT
pops coops
SerJay
heda gobbler
Schipperkesue
call ducks
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have had a fair number of people ask me if i am selling Hungrain Yellow Eggs. My awser is the same No. The biggest reason is they do not lay good enough (yes) to sell eggs. I have one hen that is over a year old and i am not sure if she has laid yet. BUT this spring well be the first year i am expecting eggs from that hen. Gerrrrr i have to think of a way to increase egg production and STAT.

Any one have any ideas with out out-cross?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

When you are developing a line of chickens on your own you are nowhere near ready to sell eggs, chicks and sometimes even adults. You need to produce as many birds as you can so you have as many as you can to choose from to create the best animals possible. When you have established yourself as a quality breeder not only will you have the numbers but also the quality you are willing to share.

Sue

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:When you are developing a line of chickens on your own you are nowhere near ready to sell eggs, chicks and sometimes even adults. You need to produce as many birds as you can so you have as many as you can to choose from to create the best animals possible. When you have established yourself as a quality breeder not only will you have the numbers but also the quality you are willing to share.

Sue

I know.... That's one of the other reasons i am not selling them.

There has been an issue i have found with a lot of people.

Here's a picture of my yellow cock [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Please stop me! I am this close to making a comment about jaundiced body parts! Shocked

Sue

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Please stop me! I am this close to making a comment about jaundiced body parts! Shocked

Sue

Yellowing body parts.... OK sue, you taking any meds Laughing Not sure how you are getting yellow body parts from HY Razz

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry Call Ducks, it was an off color remark referring to your sentence beside your picture. I just couldn't help myself. Perhaps I should have quoted, but I was too much of a coward.

Sue

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Sorry Call Ducks, it was an off color remark referring to your sentence beside your picture. I just couldn't help myself. Perhaps I should have quoted, but I was too much of a coward.

Sue

AHh ok, see i never got that Razz No problem. I am still young still learning from you *Elders*

(Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnning right now Razz )

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am shocked. Just shocked....

I don't think there is an emoticon for that.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

ELDERS! You had better run, buddy!

Sue

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:ELDERS! You had better run, buddy!

Sue

At least i never called you old Laughing does that buy me any brownie points Question

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

OMG laughing so hard! Thanx for the giggle you guys!
That is a very handsome Roo you have pictured call ducks WOW! What do the hens look like?

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

SerJay wrote:OMG laughing so hard! Thanx for the giggle you guys!
That is a very handsome Roo you have pictured call ducks WOW! What do the hens look like?

There more of a buff color like this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yes, thanks CD for allowing a little off topic humor on your thread. Love that brilliant yellow cock of yours! He just glows!

Sue the Elder

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Yes, thanks CD for allowing a little off topic humor on your thread. Love that brilliant yellow cock of yours! He just glows!

Sue the Elder

*No Comment* lol!

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ok to bad I did not see this till now as soon as I saw this is a picture of my yellow cock, the things I wanted to post till I read further SORRY

http://www.popscoops.com

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

heda gobbler wrote:I am shocked. Just shocked....

I don't think there is an emoticon for that.

Here it is Hedda.... Shocked

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

HigginsRAT wrote:
call ducks wrote:I have had a fair number of people ask me if i am selling Hungrain Yellow Eggs. My awser is the same No. The biggest reason is they do not lay good enough (yes) to sell eggs. I have one hen that is over a year old and i am not sure if she has laid yet. BUT this spring well be the first year i am expecting eggs from that hen. Gerrrrr i have to think of a way to increase egg production and STAT.

Any one have any ideas with out out-cross?

Heel low:

There are many of us who never sell eggs, preferring to set serious people up with a "good start."

Good ol' Uncle Roy refers to them as something like a smallish New Hampshire (Dr. Crawford has had the Hungarian Yellows since the 1960's and is the primary flock for the world)...is it possible to find a few "hatchery" New Hampshires maybe and after you get some purebred chicks on the ground, maybe use one of these New Hampshire roosters on your hen. You could also "share" your lovely HY rooster; keep a pen of New Hampshire hens and allow the HY rooster to visit them every few days.

I would try to keep your purebred ones identified and these F1 crosses to breed back to the dam and sire, try to bump up purity. I am sure you know all about breeding or grading up to full purebred status. ALBC accepts 15/16's for heritage labeling.

Something to think about. Good luck, brave young lad...you make us proud! Very Happy

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta
- Miss yah Makes; December 7, 1995 – February 4, 2011 ^~~^

WF: DUCKS: Calls (24 varieties), East Indies, Mandarins, Crested Ducks, Australian Spotted, Hookbills, & Appleyards.
GEESE: Buff & Buff Pied American.
SWANS: Australian Black.
LF: BANTAM Brahmas, Wyandottes, Booteds, & Chanteclers & STANDARD Chanteclers (Partridge, Buff, Orange Clay, & White).
Heritage TURKEYS (Jersey Buff, Wishard Bronze, Narragansett, Slate, Red Bronze, Rusty Black, Red Blue Bronze, Lilac, & Sweetgrass).
PHEASANTS: Red Golden & Silver.
Registered: Australian Cattle Dogs, Jacob Sheep, Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats, & Llamas. Pond Fish.

Thanks. I would LOVE to have a flock like Roy's (he has a PhD right?) I would like to find some heritage New Hampsires. There were some lovely ones a few years ago, but no one knows what happened to them after the breeder passed away. All i know is they came from ON.

Must look in to all and any options. How ever i know i well be out crossing to other breeds to develop a new colour (or two).

Thinking about that, what Large Fowl breeds are Dominate White?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

call ducks wrote:Any one have any ideas with out out-cross?

Back on track to your first post...and quoting it as well as you can see!

Here is a little tip that might save you some heartache. As soon as you have enough stock, send some to a nearby and responsible friend. He/She can raise them, love them, eat their eggs, but if some terrible problem befalls you and you lose you stock to predators, disease, whatever, you have some birds kept separate from your own you can use to rebuild your population.

Sue the Elder

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
call ducks wrote:Any one have any ideas with out out-cross?

Back on track to your first post...and quoting it as well as you can see!

Here is a little tip that might save you some heartache. As soon as you have enough stock, send some to a nearby and responsible friend. He/She can raise them, love them, eat their eggs, but if some terrible problem befalls you and you lose you stock to predators, disease, whatever, you have some birds kept separate from your own you can use to rebuild your population.

Sue the Elder

Yes i have a friend my own age, i told him i would give him some, to keep on his grandparents farm. (He pulls hourses and all that jazz)

Dark Wing Duck

Dark Wing Duck
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Now thats funny Sue!!!!!

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh wow, I thought we were going to go at it again.
Lovely Cock you have Call Ducks. Dont' see to much of this breed.

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi You could try adding some apple cider vinegar to her water. It does increase fertility in rabbits. I just did a google search on ACV and fertility in chickens and a few links came up hope this helps

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

PMed you Call ducks

Sue

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum