Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A new way to sell hatching eggs…?

+4
heda gobbler
Hidden River
Schipperkesue
Blue Hill Farm
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 8:47 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a lovely lady sell/ship me hatching eggs this year and the way we worked it was quite neat, so I wanted to share. Smile
She sent me the eggs and I paid the shipping/packaging COD. On day 7 I candled the eggs, carefully recording how many were growing, how many were clear, and how many started and stopped. Then I paid a set amount per fertile egg, (including the ones that died) happy in the fact all the eggs I paid for had the chance at life. I know this method probably wouldn’t work for everyone, and yes there is potential for dishonestly with some folks...but I have to say I really liked doing it this way. Smile Thoughts?

2A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 9:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have done this with people I know and trust. I would never try it with a stranger...not everyone is as honest as you, my dear!

3A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 9:21 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Sue. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

4A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 9:31 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree with Sue.. would add that I'd want to be confidant the purchaser could recognize a fertile egg on candling. Good for times when you aren't sure of eggs fertility but want to try.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

5A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 am

I agree, it would only fly with someone I trust, or who trusts me. I've been disappointed by people far too often to go out on that thin limb again. But for people you know and trust, I think it's a great, equitable transaction.
Cheers.

6A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 am

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I can say I am an expert on what a clear egg is! What a Face I have been candling and I can tell a fertile egg by day five. If I ever had eggs to sell to someone that seems like a very fair way to do things.
Geri

7A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 12:37 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'm all in favour of this Flick if you know the person you're selling them too. It doesn't feel good to pay for eggs that aren't fertilized in the end.

However, given the dishonesty and lack of integrity of so many people out there, I think just including extras is the way to go. I have often been give an additional 4 eggs to the dozen I've bought from reputable breeders and appreciated this.

Actually one great guy on this forum sold me a dozen eggs and included an additional six at no charge - so 18 all together. When I candled them 8 days later only 9 were fertile. If he hadn't included those extras I would probably not buy from him again but he covered himself and I was grateful and would be happy to give him my business again.

8A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 1:46 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

On the other side of the coin a generous seller of turkey eggs sold me 2 dozen for the price of one. There was only one infertile! Yikes! What will I do with them all?

Sue

9A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 1:59 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:On the other side of the coin a generous seller of turkey eggs sold me 2 dozen for the price of one. There was only one infertile! Yikes! What will I do with them all?

Sue

Thanksgiving turkeys for everyone! lol

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

10A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 3:22 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:On the other side of the coin a generous seller of turkey eggs sold me 2 dozen for the price of one. There was only one infertile! Yikes! What will I do with them all?

Sue

Ha, ha! Good point Schipper. Always have a back up plan when hatching, I guess.

11A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:

Sue

That's it! You are getting some! I will place them in a basket by your door, knock and run away. I may include a couple geese in there too.

12A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Sun May 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
authenticfarm wrote:

Sue

That's it! You are getting some! I will place them in a basket by your door, knock and run away. I may include a couple geese in there too.

Boy I wish I was closer I would love some baby turks and geesies.
geri

13A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Empty Re: A new way to sell hatching eggs…? Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
authenticfarm wrote:

Sue

Like Ding Dong Ditch only with more bird!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum