Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Friendly French Wheaten Marans *Pictures Added* & 1 for sale now, sniff!

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

So I obtained my first 2 FWMs this summer. They were hatched by Briarwood for a mutual friend who 'bless her heart' passed the new chicks on to me. They are insanely tame and friendly. Hubby has absolutely fallen in love with one of them and the other has eyes only for me. If she even thinks that I am coming near the coop she runs and waits at the coop door for me and then jumps onto the door frame ledge. The other one (hubby's fav) is always under his feet when he is doing the water or food for me. I am so worried they are going to get stepped on or eaten by an ever waiting German Shorthair Pointer (who has also unfortunately figured out that she jumps onto the door frame). I am trying to remember that she will jump up every time and I try to be ready for her but I am not always so awake when I let them out for the day Rolling Eyes Hubby also is trying to be so careful not to step on anyone while he does the chores! So are they always this friendly? I know very little about the breed other than their sought after dark brown eggs!

XOX Monika

Last edited by Island Girl on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Bump Looking for any advice or thoughts about French Wheaten Marans! Maybe all Marans are the same in their character, I dunno!

XOX Monika

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Mine are also very friendly and tame but I recently put them in with another population and at first they were pushed aside near the feeding troughs but they soon realized that they needed to stand up for themselves and now they have been accepted into the gang.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

mine are friendly the girls anyways...the boys can be jerks to say the least...very protective of the girls...need tuning in sometimes..LOL

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey Monika!

Glad you are loving your FWM's! Did you end up with a pair of hens?

As far as marans go - the wheatens are by far the friendliest. I think the solid blue marans are the most docile, the black coppers are the biggest weenies (aggressive roosters, hens aren't nice to other breeds - somehow they know!)and the blue birchen are the most shy/skittish so far.

Wheaten ameraucana's are the same way, maybe it's the wheaten color? My wheaten girls like to fly up onto my shoulder now.... LOL!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

crazybarnlady

crazybarnlady

my cuckoo marans are the most submissive of my breeds (love them!), but they do fine in the general population

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

BriarwoodPoultry wrote:Hey Monika!

Glad you are loving your FWM's! Did you end up with a pair of hens?

As far as marans go - the wheatens are by far the friendliest. I think the solid blue marans are the most docile, the black coppers are the biggest weenies (aggressive roosters, hens aren't nice to other breeds - somehow they know!)and the blue birchen are the most shy/skittish so far.

Wheaten ameraucana's are the same way, maybe it's the wheaten color? My wheaten girls like to fly up onto my shoulder now.... LOL!

Hi Briarwood, I am pretty sure one is a girl she is a beautiful golden honey color. The second one I thought was a roo at first as 'he' was looking like he had a comb and wattle starting but now I am not sure at all. 'He' is a completely different color, insert confused smilie here, he is browny, blackish blue ... oh what the heck I will go take a picture! Check back soon.

XOX Monika

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey Monika, I know what you mean Smile The "different" colored one is indeed a boy! The color is the easiest way to tell their gender when they are about 3 weeks old Smile It's nice that they are so friendly! They are fun aren't they Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Awww really a boy, what a bummer!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum