Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hatchery Prices?

+2
Schipperkesue
DLC
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hatchery Prices? Empty Hatchery Prices? Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:35 pm

DLC

I dont get it, I just got my Carfio Hatchery price list and day old bantams are $11.50 each and Large heritage breeds are $12.50 each. The same type of birds as Rochester Hatchery. The same 5 types of bantams and 3 of the Std heritage types Rochester has. Coincidence? Anyway the prices blew me away like the Dewlap Toulouse dayolds at $80.00 each. Can anyone enlighten me on the price diffrences?

2Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:03 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Where is Carfio Hatchery?

Sue

3Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:16 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

For a hatchery those are really expensive... yikes.

On their site it's heritage chicks fro 17 dollars if you are only 1 to 9 in quantity.

Cathy

4Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:29 pm

Not sure where you are located , but try Bergs ??

5Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 pm

DLC

Carfio is in Quebec. I have been on there mailing list for a few years but had no desire to order. I agree Bergs is a good choice and I like the way they set up there Heritage pkgs. DLC

6Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:03 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Holy smokes. That price for bantams is TWICE what I paid for my show quality bantam chicks from a good breeder!!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

7Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:44 pm

I would venture to say that maybe the hatchery's have been looking into these forums and seeing what people are chargeing for certain breeds adjusted there prices accordingly ? I have noticed that they all seem to be hiking up there prices ............some by double from last year on certain breeds affraid

8Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:10 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

prairie dog wrote:I would venture to say that maybe the hatchery's have been looking into these forums and seeing what people are chargeing for certain breeds adjusted there prices accordingly ? I have noticed that they all seem to be hiking up there prices ............some by double from last year on certain breeds affraid

Wow, I can't believe those prices either! You might be right, Prairie dog. The hatcheries have been taking notes and are now matching prices with small heritage breeders. I am just wondering what the quality is like from those hatcheries. The only large hatchery I have dealt with seemed more interested in quantity rather than quality. Not so many years ago I ordered hatchery buff orpingtons, and one had yellow legs...not an orpington at all!
I know people do get good quality poultry from some hatcheries, so I'm not saying they are all the same. It is just good to have choices, which is why sites and forums like this one are so important. The public needs to be aware that there are alternatives to big business hatcheries. This site is a great resource for people to find conscientious breeders who take pride in the breeds they choose to raise.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

9Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I don't think it's possible to produce show/exhibition quality birds from the big hatcheries. It takes loads of time to sort out and then only breed the best to the best. And how could you do it with the numbers they push through? I think you get production birds from hatcheries, period.

I think they could if perhaps they were only producing show stock for maybe 4 or 5 breeds, but when I see hatcheries that have everything with both exhibition and standard stock, I wonder how close to exhibition quality they are.

Just my opinion.

10Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:41 pm

I have a order in with Meyers ,and on the US site there are people who have entered there "' Hatchery "" birds in compitions and have won or come in second place in some cases, I;ve seen pictures of some of these birds and they do look good ......reason for me chooseing Meyer .Now I'm not saying that they would meet everyones expectations , but I believe that the smaller hatcheries that are just getting into the heritage breeds might be getting there breeding stock from the local Heritage breeders ? I will be finding out this summer when the chicks that I ordered will grow and show me what I bought .I would have rather bought from a local breeder , but around here they are far and few .

11Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:38 pm

LynBar Ranch

LynBar Ranch

prairie dog wrote:I have a order in with Meyers ,and on the US site there are people who have entered there "' Hatchery "" birds in compitions and have won or come in second place in some cases, I;ve seen pictures of some of these birds and they do look good ......reason for me chooseing Meyer .Now I'm not saying that they would meet everyones expectations , but I believe that the smaller hatcheries that are just getting into the heritage breeds might be getting there breeding stock from the local Heritage breeders ? I will be finding out this summer when the chicks that I ordered will grow and show me what I bought .I would have rather bought from a local breeder , but around here they are far and few .

I'd like to order from the US too, but having trouble figuring out the logistics of it. I think most ship to a US post office, then you cross border with paperwork?? Question

http://LynBarRanch.com

12Hatchery Prices? Empty Re: Hatchery Prices? Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Actually if you know of a border town close to your province , find a store /busness that will except canadian parcels and make your arrangements with them .I believe they ( border towns ) all have a few who are offering this service to us Canadians for a few dollars .I live about one and a half hours from one and that's where they will be mailed to ..then I get notifacation by Phone that they are there and all I do is go get them and present the border gus with the paper work ............quite simple really .And even withthe cost of paper work I still get my chicks for less then Half price of what they want here Question

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum