Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HEY you artsy fartsy peeps I have a question for you!

+3
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
Ruffledfeathers
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Where, what is that modge podge stuff?

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If it is the same stuff from the 1970s it is a clear acrylic sealer.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can make it. Basically white glue and water.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Modge podge can be used to stick lots of different materials (ie, paper, tissue, fabric, photos, glitter... ) to lots of different surfaces. You paint on a layer of Modge Podge, put whatever material you are applying on the wet glue then cover with another coat of Modge Podge, let dry. Give it another coat and then leave it or cover it with a varnish.

I recently Modge Podged some photos to canvas and gave them away as a gift. [img][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/img]

I also did a big 20"X30" one that looks cool on my wall.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you do a google search, look for MOD Podge.

So that's how they do that, SB? Nice effect!

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Wow Silkiebantam, those pictures are beautiful!

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:If you do a google search, look for MOD Podge.

So that's how they do that, SB?  Nice effect!

it's a much different process when it's done professionally. And the result is a canvas that will last for generations, rather than an unknown period of time with the homemade ones.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mod Podge can be pricy. I have often wondered if this product would give you the same results and be cheaper...

I suspect this stuff is much more runny.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have a couple pictures here that are about 15 years old that have been Mod Podged and they look as if they are New also a few other projects that were done years ago that look fresh
The thing to make them last years and years is to make sure they are sealed good

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I too have some mod podged photos. They are part of a collage. Unfortunately they clouded and yellowed, but they are much older than 15 years!

Authentic, one thing I would expect from an acrylic sealant would be that it is waterproof. I don't know about mod Podge, but I have done the glue mixture and I know it is not. I am thinking the Home Hardware solution would be.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

HA see I knew you all would be super helpful!

OMG Silkie you have such get photography skills and those pics look great.

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

How hard was it to do the photos on canvas? Does it take a long time?

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ruffled, if you do a search on Pinterest, you can find the how-to tutorials for the homemade photo canvas things.

Since I have the real, professional product in my house, though, I would never bother doing the homemade ones. If you ever get the chance to see a canvas from a professional photographer, you will know why.

Yes, I am a snob.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

OMG, she is a chicken and a photography snob. I can't think of much worse. Oh yes, I can! A dog snob. That'd be me.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am not a dog snob. I love my little mutt and my merry band of roving goobers. So there!

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:Ruffled, if you do a search on Pinterest, you can find the how-to tutorials for the homemade photo canvas things.

Since I have the real, professional product in my house, though, I would never bother doing the homemade ones. If you ever get the chance to see a canvas from a professional photographer, you will know why.

Yes, I am a snob.

So do you do your own or do you Buy them
If you do your own great as I know The Professional ones are better quailty

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sorry not what I meant. What I meant to say was we all have to start some where.

Last edited by Ruffledfeathers on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hasty post)

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:

I have them printed for me by my lab.

I don't personally have a multi-million dollar facility with temp and humidity controls and fancy air filtering and all the equipment needed, so I leave it to the professionals.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:
appway wrote:

I have them printed for me by my lab.

I don't personally have a multi-million dollar facility with temp and humidity controls and fancy air filtering and all the equipment needed, so I leave it to the professionals.

I wasnt saying that. I figured beings you were a Photographer Thought maybe you had access to the stuff to do it That is why I said do you do your own. Sorry if I hit a sore Nerve
I know people also that send their Photos out to be done so it is great that you can use your Photos to have it done

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

appway wrote:I wasnt saying that. I figured beings you were a Photographer Thought maybe you had access  to the stuff to do it That is why I said do you do your own. Sorry if I hit a sore Nerve
I know people also that send their Photos out to be done so it is great that you can use your Photos to have it done

Not a sore spot, I just do not like repeating myself, as I had stated previously that I don't bother with the homemade ones.

I do know photographers (and some funeral homes, oddly) who have spent big bucks to get the equipment to do their own large-scale printing, but having seen the results of their home systems, they're not as good as what the professional labs do. I love my lab!

If anyone is looking for a good photo lab, I recommend Pixportal - they are the consumer division of the pro lab I use, and they do great work.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well as the OP said we all have to start somewhere  So to them I will say yes we all do Might not be professional done but you will have something that you did that will last a long time Maybe not Forever but I am sure it will be something Your Family will Treasure

authenticfarm wrote:

Not a sore spot, I just do not like repeating myself, as I had stated previously that I don't bother with the homemade ones.

Some people dont want to pay the Cost of having it done and Enjoy doing something that they have made  on there own

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yep, and that's fine. I just don't recommend expecting it to last long enough to become a family heirloom. Don't be using the only copy of a picture of great great grandma for this stuff.

I have a fun little original oil painting on canvas I got off ebay that I stretched myself. Not as nice as a gallery jobber, but when I get sick of it in a few years, I can toss it without feeling guilty.

I like crafty projects as much as the next person, but you have to be careful when you're dealing with anything that might be irreplaceable. Like photos.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Authentic, I have seen this print on canvas technique in the Walmart photography department. Can you speak as to the quality you might find there? I suspect they send it out to be done...

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

The walmart ones kinda suck. I haven't held one in my hands, but from a normal viewing distance, they are not as nice as the professional lab ones.

When I used to shoot horse shows in the days before digital photography, I used to run to the nearest walmart to print proofs to show to the exhibitors. I had (still have) some close friends amongst the exhibitors, so I gifted a few prints here and there. I had some come back only a year later as horribly faded and discoloured.

More recently, I had a client print a high res digital file they had bought from me at walmart. The photo came back HORRIBLE - they were printing a bunch of them for their invitations. Grainy, lights blown, blacks too black. I immediately had them reprinted at my lab for her at cost, the exact same file, and they were beautiful (my lab prints my files as-is, with no tweaks to colour etc.). She took the one from my lab to show walmart and demanded her money back.

I always recommend pixportal when clients purchase files from me. Walmart and drugstore photo labs just don't have the equipment or expertise to make a photo look the way it is supposed to. Black's is another good choice, but we don't have one of those locally.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum