Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Happy New Year everyone

+12
Karaandblue
authenticfarm
Buff
coopslave
IzzyD
uno
KendraG
rosewood
blackdove
newbe enthusiast
Magdelan
bcboy
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Happy New Year everyone - Page 2 Empty Re: Happy New Year everyone Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:53 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

silkiebantam wrote:

I believe the lake in your picture is Lakelse Lake (The word Lakelse is a native word that means "Clams", of which there are many in the lake and river (Lakelse river).  The other picture that you posted that you weren't sure of is of (or I think it is) of the Seven Sisters Mountains near Smither, quite far away.

Ahhh yes, the magical world of the forest  When we go hiking it takes forever because I get side tracked crawling around in the moss taking pictures of mushrooms and really cool plants.  It really does feel like you are leaving reality sometimes.  This spring I was finding really cool plants that are parasitic living off of other plants and fungus's.  Some of my favorites were the Indian Pipes, Ground Cones and Coral Roots.  I also found a couple species of Sundews that catch and eat bugs.  Soooo Cool.

Mushroom picking can be pretty dangerous.  I'm glad you found your way out.  This fall a couple young Men got lost picking mushrooms. Maybe you heard the story on the news?  My boyfriend knew them personally (One was his work partners brother, and the other he had just started working with).  Since Forest (my boyfriend) knew them and knew the area that they were picking and went missing in he was part of the search effort to find them.  They were missing for 15 days.  Only one made it out alive, and that was incredible.  No one expected him to be alive given the amount of time and the cold wet weather we were having.   The whole thing was very tragic and we can't understand why it happened.  They were in an area where if they had just went down hill they would have hit the train tracks and Skeena River.  Instead, they went up the mountain...  They crossed many streams, and why they didn't follow them down is beyond us...  Anyways, always be careful out there.

My Camera is a Canon EOS D60.  I like it quite a bit.  It would be nice to have a nice Macro lense, and maybe one with better zoom for getting those far away shots.  

I think you are right, they look like the same mountains (7 Sisters), but maybe from different sides?.  Just amazing jagged peaks eh!  And we talked about it, that just has to be Lakelse Lake, wonderful Lakelse  -  we did a bit of salmon fishing in that area  -  well I hunted for mushrooms and dodged bears while the others fished :-). There are so many different areas to explore up there.  My husband did some of the gunsight hike but he had some friends dogs with him and one was a little overweight, couldn't go as far as he would have liked.  He enjoyed Sleeping Beauty, wanted to explore up there a lot and camp like you intend to.  I used to really enjoy the Onion Lake area, good for porcini in a special spot :-).  You sound like a botanist  -  finding all those cool plants.  That area is so amazingly rich, we are semi arid here and less diverse.  

I did hear about those mushroom pickers.  Tragic indeed.  15 days is a loooong time to be out in the wilds like that. When we got lost there were a couple of moments when we panicked and that was bad because we weren't thinking about back tracking or even what was common sense.  A great learning for us, long time since I have felt quite so fearful as when I thought we were going to have to spend the night out there without any gear to stay warm and so totally disorientated.  So much more careful now. I haven't found any where down here nearly as good for picking as up there.  It is a pickers haven!  

Your camera sounds really nice.  One day I'll upgrade but not until this one dies.  Now and then I think it is imminent.   I feel I have totally hijacked this thread.  It has been fun reminiscing about Terrace though.   Your photographs are really really beautiful.  Thank you.

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum