Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great no smoking commercial, have you seen it?

+4
Magdelan
uno
Schipperkesue
coopslave
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great commercial...but...how many stopped smoking?

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ooooh. Good one.

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Have seen it, excellent.  Seems something that every parent has to come face to face with at some point, do as I say or do as I do.  I have been a smoker and my parents too, my father still is.  Maybe a genetic predisposition for the addiction, my Mum smoked through her pregnancy with me and in between contractions!  That was back before it was known how bad it is for us.  She quit chain smoking before my sister was born  -  in that five years a lot of knowledge came out.  So I have been a smoker and my kids have explored it, one saw a very devilish appeal which was sobering for him.  Think he's on the winning side now but how can you know totally  -  the amount of times I quit thinking that was it sort of thing.  I doubt I'll ever take it up again.  

Always remember several stories I have heard about smoking when it comes up.  One was about the 90 (++?) year old woman who smoked all her life, loved life, cussed like a sailor etc.  One day someone told her that smoking would kill her (she's 90!) so she quit and was dead within a couple years.  And another story (third hand to me so I am not close to the source of it) about someone who went through a rebirth experience.  I have never had a rebirth experience but think it is interesting.  This persons mother had been a smoker during the pregnancy. and the images and sensations that came from being taken as far back as in the womb were scary for her, to do with suffocating.  I guess this would match up with how our blood cells have space on them for four oxygen and maybe those docking stations are filled or semi filled with other chemicals during smoking?  So when the blood goes past the placenta there is less oxygen for the baby?  Not sure.  Just wondering if this could be why.  It kind of caught me by surprise though.  I was a tiny baby, 5lb 10oz and I am certain I'd have been bigger had my Mum not smoked during pregnancy.  I'm not disadvantaged though, got all my brain cells and strong body.  Must say though, when I saw a woman who was obviously pregnant smoking in the car park the other day it was a test for me to not march over and rip the cigarette out of her hand, give her a wee lecture  Twisted Evil .

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is a good video, make you think. Thanks for sharing.
I use to smoke 2 packs a day. It took me probably 20 tries and cold turkey was my way...

Magdelan wrote:Have seen it, excellent.  Seems something that every parent has to come face to face with at some point, do as I say or do as I do.  I  Must say though, when I saw a woman who was obviously pregnant smoking in the car park the other day it was a test for me to not march over and rip the cigarette out of her hand, give her a wee lecture  Twisted Evil .

What would you do to this dad? Mad 
This is unbelievable....
Sorry for the Hijack.

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Smoking and I never really clicked. I'm not sad about that.

I am not good at boring things. Smoking is boring.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Great commercial...but...how many stopped smoking?

As a X smoker of over 40 years if 1 person quits because of the Video good for them.
I don't harp on smokers as it is their right but I know it was the best I did Smoke free for 2 years now I know its not long but I am smoke free

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good for you, BC Boy and Appway!  cheers  knowing a little of they strength of the addiction, I am impressed.

You have beaten the odds...I don't think many people are able to quit, especially after a prolonged period of smoking.

Started smoking at the age of 14 , menthol at first and eventually Players and Export A's till after  my son was born . Wife harped on me so much and then she got the little man to give me my cigs when she bought them ......and always with a message ! "" daddy these will hurt you inside " so finally after a few tries I quit . Still miss them though except being around a bunch of people who all smoke at the same time ! never could get used to that , that first puff when some one lights one up drives me nuts ! Have thought of cigars ?? but so far I haven't ( been over five years now ) . Always wondered though ? If your body is used to something and you take it away will it not hurt you ? in the long run at least ?? I think my slight weight gain is a factor of me quitting though ! I eat healthy and all , but ???

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

My mother was a late starter with smoking.  The doctor actually encouraged her to start for period troubles.  We have come a long way haven't we?  She smoked from her middle to late 20s to early 80s when diagnosed with a tumour in her lung.  She did quit then.  She loved smoking, said she would never quit but she did manage to.  She missed it for the few more years she lived.  Talked of it often, like an old friend.

Dad was also a late starter.  Was in WW2 and used to trade the smokes they were given for other things.  Didn't start to smoke himself until after the war.  Really remember him mostly smoking a pipe and cigars.  Only cigarettes later in his life.  He quit in his 70s for good.  I think that is when the Dementia was really starting and maybe it was easier for him because he could just forget about it a bit.  Don't really know why it was easy for him then but he was not able to before.

Funny how they were so accepted early on and now we really know.  

I realise how tough it is to quit.  My older sister struggled with them on and off her whole life.  I would have one and get sick when I drank in my early 20s but I never really liked them much, thank goodness.  I have other issues, didn't need that to kick too!  I think maybe you are a bit predisposed to them or not.  I do feel sorry for people that are stuck on them, but do realise from my mother it is that persons choice and it is something that some find very enjoyable.

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hey Prariedog, I can still smell when someone is smoking in a car going the opposite direction and we have the windows rolled up. Sometimes I smell a particular type of cigarette and am transported directly to my Da. He and I both smoke(d) roll your owns, don't have some of those extra chemicals in them so they smell diff from tailormades. I loved the whole ceremony of rolling my own cigarette, and having a drink at the pub or after work, cuppa tea . . . what ever, all part of the love affair. These things were part of the whole addiction, it wasn't just making a switch from the chemical hit, it was all the other associated parts, a lot of it was social. Like you BCBoy, cold turkey was my way. Once I made up my mind it was easy but getting to that point was the trick, it was like Smeagol/Gollum (from the Lord of The Rings) talking to himself! I was good at believing my own lies for a long time until I saw how tricksey I could be and had to ask how serious I was about the change. Also discovered that there is no point telling anyone I was going to quit cause all you get is expectation and guilt tripping. It had to be on my own terms and when no one was watching - gave freedom to get it done without all those social pressures.

Magdelan wrote:Hey Prariedog, I can still smell when someone is smoking in a car going the opposite direction and we have the windows rolled up.  Sometimes I smell a particular type of cigarette and am transported directly to my Da.  He and I both smoke(d) roll your owns, don't have some of those extra chemicals in them so they smell diff from tailormades.  I loved the whole ceremony of rolling my own cigarette, and having a drink at the pub or after work, cuppa tea . . . what ever, all part of the love affair.  These things were part of the whole addiction, it wasn't just making a switch from the chemical hit, it was all the other associated parts, a lot of it was social.  Like you BCBoy, cold turkey was my way.  Once I made up my mind it was easy but getting to that point was the trick, it was like Smeagol/Gollum (from the Lord of The Rings) talking to himself!   I was good at believing my own lies for a long time until I saw how tricksey I could be and had to ask how serious I was about the change.  Also discovered that there is no point telling anyone I was going to quit cause all you get is expectation and guilt tripping.  It had to be on my own terms and when no one was watching  -  gave freedom to get it done without all those social pressures.  

Camping , wood smoke , smell of the pines and then a Wisk of pipe smoke crawls through the trees and hits your nostrils.....unforgettable ! ......a good cup of rich dark coffee ,a cool morning , that first smell of a newly lit cigarette  ..........have to stop now , yearnings coming on strong

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

prairie dog wrote:
Camping , wood smoke , smell of the pines and then a Wisk of pipe smoke crawls through the trees and hits your nostrils.....unforgettable ! ......a good cup of rich dark coffee ,a cool morning , that first smell of a newly lit cigarette  ..........have to stop now , yearnings coming on strong

This is sounding a lot like what my Dad calls a "cowboy's breakfast" - ie a cigarette and a look around. always amused me. I liked a cup of tea with mine - take the sting out of the nicotine. yeah, the first puff was always the best part. I might puke now but it was always the part I longed for the most. Hope this thread is not the reason you fall back in to the habit PD. I will stop romancing it now.

I paused 10 times before the 11th try stuck when I was in my early 30s.  I had to get out of town for a week into an environment that was new, with friends who didn't smoke, doing activities I didn't normally do.  Otherwise I just couldn't kick it.  So glad now that I did.  For so very many reasons.

Magdelan wrote:
prairie dog wrote:

This is sounding a lot like what my Dad calls a "cowboy's breakfast"  -  ie a cigarette and a look around.  always amused me.  I liked a cup of tea with mine  -  take the sting out of the nicotine.  yeah, the first puff was always the best part.  I might puke now but it was always the part I longed for the most.   Hope this thread is not the reason you fall back in to the habit PD.  I will stop romancing it now.  

O hey no problem there , if I can go through all the s##t that I have since stopping without starting up I can surely handle talking about it . I do get a craving here and there , but it would be me giving in if I started again Smile

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Wasn't it Prairie Dog who had the avatar of the kid sitting on a chair smoking with a giant rooster beside him?  That should have been disturbing too, but for some strange and twisted reason I really liked it!

Last edited by KathyS on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

KathyS wrote:
Wasn't it Prairie Dog who had the avatar of the kid sitting on a chair smoking with a giant rooster beside him?  That should have been disturbing too, but for some strange and twisted reason I really liked it!

It was Dark Wing Duck! That avatar always makes me giggle.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh that's right, Dark Wing Duck. He hasn't been around here for quite a while. But that avatar was amazing!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Happy Happy New Year ya all ................

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Bigrock had that avatar of the baby smoking too. Yep, BCBoy's youtube did bother me too. I had a friend once who said she started smoking when her grandmother used to get her to light her cigarettes for her. Long time ago.

I guess now might not be the best time to admit I occasionally smoke a pipe  Razz . Don't inhale the smoke into lungs, just to the soft palate at the back of the throat. Many of the genius minds you can think of smoked pipes (Einstein, Nicolai Tesla are two that come to mind). It puts nitrous oxide into the blood stream which helps in neuroplasticity so if you are contemplating something extraordinary and smoke a pipe your neural branching is made more "available" for lack of a better word. I don't smoke it much but I love the smell of peaches and cream pipe tobacco and find the smell of the smoke much less bothersome than cigarette tobacco.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum