Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The great melt=great stink

+6
ChicoryFarm
SucellusFarms
silkiebantam
uno
rosewood
fuzzylittlefriend
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The great melt=great stink Empty The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:48 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So of course we suddenly have spring and the great melt. Rivers were running through our property yesterday, lakes are forming and its generally disgusting. Today its drying out so I am hoping it wont last long.

Of course along with it is the great stink. The chicken pen is foul for some reason. Their house is fine its clean and dry but their pen is muck and grossness and stinks. You step outside and we smell like chickens. I have great faith that once everything drys out completely it will resolve but the hubby is freaking out and complaining. He generally has nothing to do with any creature outside except when I work evenings and he has to feed and lock up. And I have worked the last two nights so its all I have heard about for 2 days.

I have thought about a couple bags of stall dry Money Throw and ??? to help. Any ideas that are safe for the chickens to be around.

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

2The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 pm

I have thrown pine shavings down in the past into the wetter areas to obsorb the moisture as well as get rid of most of the smell ? It compostes and through time it will build up and then I hump it so that any moisture runs off and out of the coop ? guess it depends on how large your coop is ?..........my thoughts

3The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:00 pm

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

We have something similar here, but some of the run off from the driveway is flowing through the old chicken coop. I put in a load of hay so the GWs and the bachelor roosters have a dry place to stand. At least it is only run off as a few years ago the creek flowed through and the chickens stood on old tires. In a few days the new coop will be finished enough for the GWs, Cochins and an extra couple roosters.

4The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:20 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh yes, that aroma!

I have resisted the urge to throw anyting onto the ground for fear that it would make the mud situation worse.

I have found that the top layer of the chicken pen gets like this thick, slick layer of plastered poo junk. It is slippery as heck and you walk with great care! I have taken a shovel, slid it under that top layer, and like peeling an orange, packed it away in a wheelbarrow. It is heavy and this is STINKY gross work. But after a day or three the soil underneath does not stink as bad. It seems to be more soil like and less poo tarmac like. At that point if I have sand, I will toss that down.

I have considered tossing DE but fear that once its wet it will break down to a clay like substance and that will make a slippery situation even worse. For that reason, I have never tossed the DE onto the run.

My chicken pen is the ugliest piece of ground on the property. Those hens are excavators and all the soil that could be scratched up and tossed downhill has been. It looks like a gouged out moonscape out there. I have taken a shovel and spent long hours filling in holes and hollows and guess what, they trench them out as fast as I fill them up. THey love nothing better than a nice, soft pile of dirt! It looks so horrible! Anyone else have ugly hen yards they'd like to disguise? Or an answer to the stink? I know! Fabreeze!

5The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:38 pm

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I thought my pen was the only one that got like that! By the end of the summer with all of our rain, it was slick, slick, slick! Clay soil doesn't help either!

One of our pens is off the side of the chicken house where the rain runs off the roof. Next time, I'll make sure to take this into consideration with design.

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

6The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:17 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I think I read something about sprinkling lime at some point. I think it was supposed to help with the stink. You'll have to read up on it, though, to be sure.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

7The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:43 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad to hear I'm not alone either. It's a first for me. I find the snow that has slid off the roofs of the coops and shelters has formed tall rows and it's melting back into the covered yards forming nasty smelling mud puddles. It's a challenge to throw treats for them on the ground because of the mud and water. Poor things. Seems to be part and parcel for where we live..... the looong, slow melt. I'll celebrate with the chickens when they can wander out into the green grass.

8The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:59 pm

I had actually thought of getting a load of fine gravel and putting it into the coop area , good dusting , moisture will drain and the can dry off and keep the insides of the coop dry , nothing worse then gathering eggs for hatching and they are all dirty !!

9The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:10 pm

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member

yes, the septic slough chicken yards, lime will neutralize the smell a bit, de dries it up a bit, I've used peat moss, pine chips, straw, hay, and sand . It all works a for a brief while and then it's back to septic slough, The gravel plugs up with chicken poo.

My 90 year old friend that has raised chickens forever has 3 chicken yards, they work on rotation, one is in use as a chicken yard, one is composting and one is garden, each spring they move into a different yard . Bab's has a beautiful, productive vegetable garden. See there is hope for all of our stinky chicken yards cheers

10The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

11The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh boy, you had to ask, smiling that big smile. Yes, we are in massive snow melt, the temperature has not gone below zero for three nights now and there is a whole lotta snow melting. Water, water, everywhere. I have been pumping out our driveway from the lakes and around the property all day yesterday and it will continue for a couple of more days, time consuming, but boy, pumping a whole lotta water sure makes for nicer living conditions, smiling.

That stench, oh yes, know well that stench, back on the Lower Mainland, that stench was around for a good couple of months in the deep throws of winter, and as HigginsRAT mentions, muck. Anyone living back on the coastal areas where it rains for long times, incessantly, knows well of the muck of winter, and the stench. In our new life, that stench is actually not so bad, and I am going to tell you a story. Grab coffee, call it what you will, but I have pictures of my endeavours as of late (well, early January) that have allowed that stench to not be as bad as it could be, smiling again. Stench, yes, chickens and there stuff, if it is wet, really can stink a whole lot. Oh so thankin’ my lucky stars that we live in an area where that mud goes within about a week, once that good ol’ sun shines. I have never witnessed how quickly moisture can be sucked from the ground, from the air, and gone to who knows where, but it can go from 2 inches of clay mud here, to dust in about a weeks time. Only really been here one FULL season, but have seen that happen and to me it is shocking. Back in the old life on the coast, it took months for the moisture to be gone, and then when it was, beautiful....coastals will know EXACTLY what I speak of. Smiling now again that big smile. Summer is coming, with green growth.
Oh by the way, I have a pot of chives on my porch outside as an experiment. They grow in the gardens, everywhere, but I wanted to do an experiment with chives in pots, to actually see when they begin to rear their beautiful little green heads. One of the stumps has showed green growth, yesterday. Imagine that. Back on the coast, the chives would rear their beautiful heads the first week of January, here we are at March 5, blah....but when things grow, they surely do grow.
Right....so we didn’t have the deep, deep freeze until after the first week of January here. Prior to that, some freezing of the ground, but not deep, like 2 feet deep. It was a nice warm day, the earth was soft, as it had not become frozen deeply. Today is my day for getting down and dirty with dirt. Not hands dirty, but working that dirt. Guess we won’t call this dirt, cause it is actually crap, mixed with dirt and who knows what else the birds extrude out the rear end, probably lots of gritty stuff too, sand, who knows. I knew from last year (I performed this task last fall too), that there is a build up of some kind of stuff from the birds. It was about 2 inches thick (it was last year, probably the same this year). I knew that it comes off in sheets, one just has to work it, smiling. So, that day came. I knew that I would be busy and that I was. What a lovely day, communing with the birds and a thick layer of crap! What else could it be called so rightly, other than this word which I actually do not like. I prefer SHI*T, but that is OK too, both rather slangish to me, but that is OK, it is what it is. Feces, right, a good one, but sounds a little mucky muck to me. Oh I have been typing so much this morning, almost feel like it is time for a nap, smiling, onwards and forwards.

As said, it was a temperate day, the mud crappy stuff was thawed and I went to the four runs, shovel in hand with a trusty little wheelbarrow, the best one for this kind of stuff, cause it is freaki’ heavy!! How this can be so heavy, I don’t know. I didn’t count the wheelbarrow loads I trudged out of there to my chicky compost pile, but I venture nigh onto about 20 of them. An entire day of work, but well worth it. This was done one year prior, so this is how much builds up in one year, one big, fat layer of crappy chicken crap!! Boy did I have happy chickens and me, happy girl, not too bad of a stench now that the melt has surely begun. Enjoy the pictures of me and the chicken crap!! Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

First, this is the beginning the first coop in line, the others followed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Second picture, just another view of a layer of chicken crap

This one particular little buckeye gal is the most curious that I have ever seen. Her and her cockerel boyfriend lived with the 5 blue cochin babies I got from Shipperkesue for a long time. It looked actually very cool, blue cochins with brown buckeyes, lovely. She was intrigued with what I was doing with the shovel and would always be checking it out, she is a special girl.....

Here she is again, with one of the blues. All of the other chickens had had enough of me messing with the nice soft ground of their stinky layer of chicken poopy stuff and went to bed. Good, allowed me to move layer of poop much more easily. She was allowed to go into forbidden territory, while the cats away the mice will play, well, actually the pullet will play, with no meanies to push her around...smiling.

The finished product. Four nice runs, all new earth, mixed with a whole lotta little teeny tiny pebbles and scratchy stuff that they can gobble right up. I had lots of grit for them, but they really like the ones that stink and smell like chicken crap, go figure. I still can’t believe the size of the pebbles that they grab up and swallow down the gullet, shocking...Oh for the love of not having mucky, smelly, chicken pens, still thankin’ my lucky stars I got this done before the big deep freeze happened, smiling again.

12The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:40 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Cynthia, I know first hand...that was a huge pile of work! You must have been totally wiped after that job was done. Our soil is very sandy and dry here, so I don't usually have to worry. But there was one time I had that problem with wet, stinky manure build-up: I raised 100 broilers last yeat and we had an unusually wet spring. Umbrella
Holy crap! lol...those meat birds can create mountains of poo. So the result was the same ...thick mats of sticky, slimey manure.
I used that same labor-intensive method of garden spade and wheelbarrow to shovel out their run, and it was back-breaking work! I sure do admire your determination to take on a job like that year after year.

Note: when my office co-workers invite me to start going to the gym with them to 'work out'...I kindly turn down their offer and explain I already work out...out in the coops!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

13The great melt=great stink Empty Re: The great melt=great stink Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:20 am

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks everyone! I feel better I am not alone. Well as cynthia said I am thankful not to be on the wet coast where it is mud for months! Today almost all the water has drainded off our property and I actually did not smell chicken this morning when I walked outside. Their run has dried up very well. I am thankful we are on an awsome sand bed that drains quickly. I can tolerate it knowing it will be gone in a week. I think I should dig it up at some point preferably before it hardens like concrete again! We have a huge pile of sand left over from our round pen reno we did last spring so their is lots of replacement material kicking around.

And that is the my most exciting topic of the week - I have finally drained my round pen and it almost usable! Hope to be riding by the end of the week Very Happy

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum