Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

yard shoes

+5
vic's chicks
Magdelan
call ducks
Bowker Acres
islandgal99
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1yard shoes Empty yard shoes Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:16 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My yard shoes have always been the oldest, cruddiest pair of shoes in the closet.  Dirty.  Worn.  Maybe a hole or two.  No sense buying something when I have something that does the job, right?  Evil looking, the odd time I wear them into 'town', I always get "you need a new pair of shoes" from friends.  "But they are for the yard", I will say, and they will say, "keep them there".  

The other day I was in Mark's Workwear world, and there was a pair of Baffin insulated rubber boots, on sale for $38.  Still a lot of money for formal yard wear, but I thought my current yard shoes were getting worn beyond usefulness, my toes were always cold and wet, my pant-legs always wet, and I didn't have a worn enough pair of shoes to retire to yard shoes. 

I wore them for the first time yesterday.  WHY DIDN'T I DO THIS BEFORE!!!  My toes are warm, my pantlegs are not wet, my feet are dry.  Gosh darn, sometimes I'm way, way, way to cheap.  WAY too cheap.  I am NOT going to cheap out on my feet again, because my feet have me dancing through the chicken yard today with our fresh fall of snow.  They are warm, and they a glad.  

Thank you boots, thank you.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:55 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sadly, for both hubby and I, the farm shoes are the most expensive shoes we own. We will buy used equipment, but the shoes are new, every year and high quality. You must take care of your feet. My FIL has foot and leg issues now after being a farmer his whole life, and wearing cheap, old shoes. You either pay for it now with good shoes or later with foot issues.

3yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:34 am

call ducks

call ducks
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Totally agree. Just bought a pair of muck boots. I should have done it sooner. They were expensive but gosh sooo comfy, I can spray them down with Virkon, they are awesome. They cost more then my shoes. But I have to have a good pair of rubber boots.

4yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:24 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I live all year in my duck boots, or bogs. they get a little smelly if my feet sweat because they don't breathe well but I just love them. supposed to be warm down to -40 but I find that if my feet are damp they can get cold and we have never had -40 here.

5yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:40 pm

vic's chicks

I can't understand why I waited so long.either. When I lived in Winnipeg I always bought the best, warmest boots I could find. Here in BC I have been suffering for ten years with gum boots and wool socks. Never quite warm enough or comfortable enough. I also got boots recently. A pair of neoprene Muck boots and really nice pair of cougar snow boots that have come in really handy lately. The difference is amazing. I actually don't mind going out in the dark and cold to put the chickens away for the night because my feet are toasty.

6yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My mucks have finally died after 4 HARD years of quadding, bushwhacking, hunting, and general farm abuse. So worth the investment. Hoping maybe Santa is half blind and took me off the naughty list this year.

7yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:56 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

To me, warm feet is one of the most important things, in all weather. I have my spring and fall Bogs and my winter Bogs. My spring Bogs fit more snug. I bought my winter Bogs a half size too big, because I required to be able to put on two pairs of socks. When I am outside in winter, I wear my regular merino wool socks and a pair of socks that are a heavier wool, my jeans are tucked into the outer socks. I like that because then my pants fit easier into my boots. I have Sorrells too, those are when the weather is colder, like when it goes -15. But oh so clumbsy, but oh so warm. As mentioned, having excellent footwear to me is the most comforting thing on earth. Well, other than that comfy mashed potato, gravy, vegetables and meat dinners that we indulge in so often in winter. Warm feet. Also like my head to be warm, I have an awesome lumberjack style hat, it is white, so is pretty, but boy, warm feet, warm head, I can take on the world. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

8yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:30 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh the joy of those with happy feet! I picked up a pair of Bogs knock offs at one of those dreaded big box stores for 30$ This coming spring will be 4 years and sadly they have just started to tire of daily use. I haven't needed to use my actual winter boots since I got these brightly coloured purveyors of bliss.

9yard shoes Empty Re: yard shoes Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:21 am

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

An old fellow once told my hubby " you need to have 2 good things no matter what. The first is a good bed, as you spend close to half your life in it, and the second is a good pair of shoes as you spend the other half of your life in them!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum