Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

New Favorites of the Yard

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New Favorites of the Yard Empty New Favorites of the Yard Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:02 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've really come to enjoy watching these little aerial acrobats that have come to our place to nest. And they make the most amazing sounds; chirping and whirling, one vocalization even sounds like R2D2. lol I think they're Purple Martins, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Smile

New Favorites of the Yard Chickens2013062

2New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:48 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

I love to watch and listen to them too. Darting and swooping around, making all kinds of happy clicky, trilling, R2D2 sounds. Always makes me smile.

3New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:04 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

They are the neatest little birds! I wish my camera was better so I could really capture their beauty. I like to sit outside and drink my morning java while watching their antics too. Smile My new winter project is to build another Martin house. Or two. Or three. lol Just love 'em. I love you

4New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:46 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Do we have Martins in BC

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

5New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:15 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

According to my western bird field guide, yes you do. Smile
Purple Martin range: Southern Canada to Northern Mexico, Gulf states. Winters South America.

Build a Martin house and they will come. cheers

6New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:28 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Most awesome!! Thanks for sharing, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

7New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:24 am

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Now to find plans for a Martin house...

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

8New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:17 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Nice! I don't think we have martins but we have barn and violet-green swallows here and I LOVE watching their aerial antics. They're amazing fliers and I love them cleaning up our feathers and bugs Very Happy Such a relaxing way to unwind by watching them. Any bird that likes to eat insects not my ducklings or eggs is welcome around here Laughing

Hope you don't min here's some of the swallows I've been enjoying lately
New Favorites of the Yard 1ff0835c-e9b4-439b-b014-f211dfeac563 New Favorites of the Yard F6312239-6b34-478a-b2e0-789490e2a238 New Favorites of the Yard NIK_6929 New Favorites of the Yard NIK_6422 New Favorites of the Yard NIK_5979 New Favorites of the Yard NIK_5982-2

Love this one looks like a cartoon just need an anvil falling too hehe
New Favorites of the Yard NIK_5985

We also have a Killdeer family living in the yard this year and I've had a great time watching and taking pics of them which is far easier than those swallows that never seem to rest and have no pattern to their flights Smile

9New Favorites of the Yard Empty Re: New Favorites of the Yard Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I definitely don't mind! Those are some great live action shots. Very Happy Thanks for sharing!
And yes, they seem to be bug eaters galore. Between the Martins and the dragonflies, we hardly have mosquitoes, and this is with a large pond and plenty of waterways in the area. Martins rule!

Sucellus, I hadn't planned on really looking for house designs until later in the fall. Too much other stuff on the go right now. If you happen across a good one, please do share and I'll do the same. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum