Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

investigation of 4 killing im my yard! :(

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1investigation of 4 killing im my yard! :( Empty investigation of 4 killing im my yard! :( Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:09 am

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I got home Thursday evening to find some thing had killed 4 ducks and injured a 5. Had only taken 2 away and left 2 died ducks behind!! Sad I felt really sick when I stumbled across it, and immediately blamed it on a coyote but after talking with some people Im no long convinced it was a coyote. It might have been more like a owl! After a day or two coming to my senses I though a coyote is more Likly to kill one or two and take off with as much as he can handle, I don't think coyotes just kill and then just waste meat!? I think an owl is more Likely to do that! Am I right, or out to lunch????

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is awful to come home and find that. Not sure what it is either, I know lots of thing "waste" meat, had a weasel kill bunch and leave but they only ate heads and bit their necks,
An owl killed 6 or 7 pullets one time and was still in there eating on one of them when I found him....
I heard foxes will take lots and drag them away, half bury them for later?
You will need to set some traps and hopefully find the culprit!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

An adult coyote hunting for itself will kill one bird and take it away. Nab, run.

A mother, teaching her young to hunt, will wipe out a flock. THe pup coyotes know how to kill but are too excited, too weak or too stupid to take away the birds they have killed, and run off, leaving them behind. This happened to me a couple years back and I lost 5 birds in one go. This summer I lost 9 birds to a mother coyote and her pups.

My experience with flying predators is that they kill one and if they are able to take it and leave, they do. All the birds I've lost to owls were eaten in trees, never on the ground.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Many years ago I had a fox come in and kill a couple, partially eat one and carry one off. The hawk stayed in the coop and I caught it eating. Thankfully I don't have much experience with predators here.

I hope you find out what it was and you can prevent it from coming back over and over again.

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

did you every find out the culprit Steve? Hope you didnt have to lose any more...

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

i'm still not 100% sure yet, but my father just shot a coyote that was sniffing around my chicken coops just about 30 minutes ago, he was acting very bold and comparable with the yard! it might have been the culprit, its been hagging around the yard for afew weeks.
after the attack no one but the guineas have been aloud out in the yard. my ducks were annoyed with me. LOL Smile but its for their own good!

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

well that sounds like a good one to get even if he/she wasnt the original perpetrator!

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

So sorry for your loss, any chances its a raccoon? I lost a momma scovie and 5 young to a raccoon, it ate one and just killed the others

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

im glad too! Smile he was eyeing my poor chickens way to much!
hey Prairie Chick, i dont think it was a raccoon, i havent seen a raccoon hear, but that doesnt say that it couldnt happen. every once and a while a raccoon is spotted down by the red deer river. but all in all we dont get them hear, thank heavens!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum