Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bring It ON!!!!

+10
bigrock
Buff
coopslave
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
birish
CynthiaM
Magdelan
Karaandblue
HigginsRAT
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks very much for the reply and information. I'm going to try and find one asap

52Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:44 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

With the nipple type waterers it must prevent the frost bitness(that can be a word) going on.......might be something to look in to...

53Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:15 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

That de-icer looks good, but it has to go in water, right? I won't have open water in my coops, dangly wattles can get in that and freeze. I can't understand that the nipple things do and work like, beyond my comprehension.

I have had some severe problems now too with water freezing. Revamping ideas over and over and I think I found one that is working like a hot dam. It will take a bit of getting used to. I am used to filling my chicken waterers only every few days, I use big ones. Gotta get off my lazy butt and just pay more attention daily now to water, no problem. I can do that. the one gallon red base water font filled with warm water from my house, sitting in the warm water in the heated dog bowl. Fits perfectly inside the bowl, so no spills of water anywhere. Birds can only dip their beaks in, wattles won't fit. So, hoping this will work fine. I have also tried something else for my 5 gallon metal font. I popped into Canadian Tire the day before yesterday and purchased a single hot plate, it was on sale $15, regular $17, so not bad. I am trying it out for a couple of days to see how that works. Set on the setting below the lowest setting, almost to off, seems to be keeping the water in the moat in the metal font about 65 degrees. I am impressed, but only time will tell the tale if that will work or not. The metal font is wide enough that the chickens cannot peck at the dial and it faces against the wall. I'll report how that works, but so far, so good. Geeze, bring me summer, all this stuff to do with winter is a pain in my arse! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

54Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:30 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Antarctica has set a new cold record. -93 C

Yikes! -30 makes me want to hibernate.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

55Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:37 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well Fowler, we all know this had to happen. There is global warming happening after all! (please note the sarcasm) It has been such a money generator for so many organisations. I know now it is called climate change a lot more now.

I remember, in my youth of course, them talking about the next ice age coming. Wonder when we will start to hear about that......

56Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:43 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thing is, I'm not sure the climate ever stops changing. Yes, the winters haven't been like I remember as a kid. So many Halloweens spent with a skidoo suit over my costume but I've only even wore a heavy coat once or twice taking my own kids around. On the other hand, things aren't like what they describe only a few centuries ago.

Don't get me wrong, pollution causes lot more problems than just the weather and any reduction is a good thing.

57Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hooked up the new deicer yesterday afternoon. Checked them this morning, as I always do, amd the buckets with the new deicers were frozen. Not just the nipples, but the whole bucket. Breakers are fine. Must be faulty units.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

58Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Didn't get Icers by mistake, did you?

59Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:21 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That would explain everything!!

60Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

So, Amazon is awesome. Contacted them via their site this morning about the malfunctioning de-icers, they already got back to me and are issuing a full refund (including refunding shipping) and I don't even have to send them back.

61Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:38 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that is cool (whoops, unpopular pun  Embarassed ), good business practice from amazon.  thanks for letting us know about them.  I found something that looks like this in our barn
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
it says 1500 watt on the picture (off google images) and "homehardware".  Our one has 250 watts on it.  looks pretty heavy duty and not as shiny new as this one but I might clean it up and see what it does, maybe in really cold times.  the little heating tape seems to work if it is just below freezing in the barn so I can switch them around maybe.

62Bring It ON!!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:06 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

that is what I use outside in large rubber tub for my ducks in winter, uses less power than the floating one I used to have and works great at any temp so far.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum