Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bring It ON!!!!

+10
bigrock
Buff
coopslave
Schipperkesue
authenticfarm
birish
CynthiaM
Magdelan
Karaandblue
HigginsRAT
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Bring It ON!!!! Empty Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

2Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:40 pm

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

I like the way you think Smile

3Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:11 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

mighty mighty ready you are. we are getting in to this cold thing too, down to -23-ish out there right now but I think it is a little colder than the temp gauge says. Nowhere near the same amount of snow you have! keeping your cardiovascular system in action that is. I do not care for it when there is frost on the inside of my kitchen window and not real excited about seeing how much moisture has frozen on the inside of the barn windows where the girls are - going to have to modify their ventilation soon as - got the wood fire on in there to help dry the air out and stole the thermoelectric fan off our inside wood stove to help get air circulation going out there with the cold crew - can really see how uncomfortable they are when it is damp cold as opposed to dry. I have corn for them now at night too, keep those furnaces going for sure Smile . Does Pudgy stay out in the Deuce Coop?

4Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:06 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total

5Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:23 am

Karaandblue

Karaandblue

Pretty much - it went to -31 here last night my thermometer tells me. Birds seemed happy and spry this morning, horses also happy. The goats told me where to go and how to get there of course - they don't like this cold.
But you're right, dress and prepare for it all is well. I spend most of the summer/fall getting ready for it - and I've often wondered why I stay. My answer - where else would I go? I love it here. All year long. We live in the most beautiful place on earth. We are blessed. Have a super day!

6Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Lovely thread, and wonderful pictures painted for the mind's eye, enjoyed the walk by the side, thank you.  There is something very nice about winter, not too many things, I am heat goddess, give me the hot, sunny days any time.  I revel in that.  Cold does not do me well.  I can dress very appropriately, and you would laugh at my winter attire when I am out and about.  This is what I wear when I know I am outside for extended periods.  Long johns, a pair of jeans, and pair of oversized (by 2 sizes) of insulated jeans.  That is my leg wear.  I wear a tank top under my t-shirt, a good wool sweater, my vest of several different ones, I like vests, another vest that Farmchiq gave me, it was her Husband's, so is man style, but I don't care, a Carhart, and oh so darn warm, and then my heavy winter coat.  On my head I wear a lumberjack style hat, the one that has the flaps on the side and it covers most of my face cause the brim is so low, it is white, so actually purdy.  On my feet I have my merino wool socks and then usually another pair of warm socks.  I have my black bog boots, which can be worn with one or two pairs of socks, I think they stretch, so either single or double layered, usually double layered socks.  And there I go.  I look like a great big donut with a white head.  Oh yes, I have an awesome muff.  Yes.  A muff.  Don't let your mind wander Smile.  This is a black muff that I bought at Canadian Tire last year for 85% off, the last one, it was like $60 regular and I got it for basically nothing.  It has a belt that clips together, not sure that that is called, but the fastener slips into the other piece of fastener. Blah, what are those called.  Anyways, it goes around my waste.  At the front is the muff.  It is a black tube basically, well insulated and I can put my hands inside it and is wonderful, cause it is so warm.  I don’t need gloves, cause my hands go in that and my hands keep each other hand warm.  I do have nice thermo gloves when I go out, just in case, well, just in case.  I also have some very good heavier gloves, but oh so clumbsy.  I hate gloves.  I could never wash dishes in gloves either, cause, well, just not natural, I am a very tactile person.  Oh brother....this was not meant to be a long post, but a’ramblin’ I shall go.  Been in the dumps lately cause of some stuff with dog, but feeling better day by day....so let’s ramble...a ramblin’ I shall go.

It is damn cold.  Last night was -8.  Ya, I know, got nuthin’ on those that are in the double digit.  But it is cold, and darned annoying.  It snowed last night about ½ inch and that is annoying.  My little dogs are white and now I can’t see them when they go outside.  I have to keep their red light collars on, otherwise they are invisible pretty much.  I need to watch my dogs in these days, there are things that fly overhead and I hear the coyotes at night.  We are in the middle of 80 acres of fields, right smack dab in the middle.  Three acres, a long strip between those two fields.  Not sure what is going in the east field this year.  I hope nothing too tall.  (I have some very wonderful aspirations of what I am going to grow along the fenceline between that property and ours next summer).  There is wire fencing all the way down the property and I think I am going to make some stucco wire to attach to the fence posts for about 40 feet on our area of the fence.   Think I am going to do some upright gardening.  Thinking some kind of curcurbit that does not get too viney.  Thinking little watermelons and maybe some long rows of other uprights, like snow peas, things I can trail.  I am worried that the farmer might plant corn.  And I remember that show about the corn fields and the kids...was it called “children of the corn” I think so...and that show where the little boy said “I see things”.  That was all corn field related.  And corn fields scare me.  Corn patches are OK, but the fields, now that is a different story.  I need to keep my puppies out of that, if it is going to be a corn field.  Great thoughts about what I am going to do for a temporary summer fence, should corn go in.  The corn would come down about the same time that my stuff along the fence would come down.  Rats.  Where was I?  I was talking about winter, my bad.  Summer is a ways off yet (but solstice is coming soon and then the days go the other way, yahoo!!!).

Right.  The pictures of the beautiful snowy areas, in my mind’s eye.  Oh so beautiful, I know that, seen that, love that too.  Winter is a clean time of year.  No sand, no dust, lovely, clean, pristine and pure.  There is beauty in the white, for surely.  I do like white.  But I much prefer greens and browns (and the myriad of other colours that summer brings).

I have an area in Daughter’s yard that used to have an above ground pool sitting on it. It is an area that was designed for something else by the previous owner.  I don’t know what.  But the area is cement and in the middle of the cement is an area that is rectangular and full of gravel. That is where the pool sat.  I grew a most beautiful, what I would deem a foliage plant, called Joseph’s coat.  An accidental sowing, but oh man, such beauty in those maroon coloured leaves, with the insignificant flowers.  I gathered all the seed from those plants this fall.  The seed is so small, I am not sure I even got seed, lots of chaff in that seed.  I need to do a test germination to see if I even got any seed.  I think it is considered an open pollinated variety, so hopefully, should seed germinate in my test run, the plants will come true to parent.  But, in the event that the variety is hybrid, I will have purchased copious amounts of seeds regardless.  I am going to plant this entire area in that Jospeh’s coat.  I made a thread on that, the pictures were astounding.  Anyways, this gravel area is about 15 X 20, so it will make a most beautiful statement.  This plant revels in full sun, much deeper colours in full sun and not too much nutrition. I know.  It grew in gravel from seed that was spilled basically.  So should be a most interesting area, full of this incredible plant.  Think I might do clumps around the borders of another pretty plant that does well in full sun.  Can’t think of the name of it right now, but it is a shorter plant, bright colours, makes great borders.  Darn what is the name of the plant, coleus comes to mind, but I don’t think it is...Have to think about that one and add an edit maybe when it comes to mind.

Look what has happened.  I have gone from a thread that is all about the great white and gone to summer gabbing about summer plants.  Oh well, as said, topics have a way of taking on their own, and this one surely has gone wild with summer.  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

7Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:59 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

8Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:38 am

birish

No bus driving today,-45 is the cutoff,at730 Swift was-50 it was cold doing chores but the birds all seem to handle it just fine,dog running around like the fool he is playing fetch with a deer leg bone.

9Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:02 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

How cold is it? THIS cold!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

-30.5 C when I went out to do chores, -15 in the coop. It must have hit -18 in there overnight, since the heat lamp I have on a thermocube had kicked on - it goes on at -18 and off at -12. I unplugged it for the day, since it's hung over the roost and the chickens are all rockin' on the floor, doing chickeny stuff and gobbling up their kitchen scraps and cracked corn.

I do have one heat lamp on for my poor little White Cornish cockerel. He probably doesn't need it, but he has bald spots and it makes me feel sorry for him. He and his White Chantecler girlfriends are hanging out in the circle of warmth.

Buses were cancelled due to windchill today - it was -41 windchill when the bus driver woke us up with the news at 6:30 a.m.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

10Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:49 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Heck Authentic, that is pretty cold looking. Did you make your scarf? Looks home done (nice Twisted Evil ). It never fails to amaze me when I go out into cold weather and the hairs in my nostrils somehow grow an extra network of crystalline hairiness. When he first arrived in Terrace my husband went out for a walk. It was February I think. Just a short walk to town but it was pretty cold and he was not prepared for it (noobies to this kind of climate then) so no balaclava or scarf wrapped around his face. Wicked wind chill. When he went in to a shop the clerk asked him something but he couldn't reply because his face was semi paralyzed and had to wait for the muscles to thaw! Good grief. That is close to frostbite maybe? How are your nipple waterer thingies working? I have finally set one up and it goes well but when it gets down below near -20 at night they freeze and I have to get the hairdryer out! which freaks everyone out - they aren't used to it yet I guess - they are just going to have to toughen up and lay straight! Takes only few seconds on each to set them right.

11Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

So cold that I wore my insulated cover all and giant clunky Sorrels to school.

Three boys admired the 'Tough Duck' outerwear. I am a fashion statement in the tiny town of Warburg.

12Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:16 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan wrote:Heck Authentic, that is pretty cold looking.  Did you make your scarf?  Looks home done (nice Twisted Evil ).   
Yep. I actually made it for my husband, but he doesn't wear it, so, YOINK! It's got some Alpaca wool percentage in it. Super long, so I can wrap and wrap and wrap.

Magdelan wrote:How are your nipple waterer thingies working?  I have finally set one up and it goes well but when it gets down below near -20 at night they freeze and I have to get the hairdryer out!  which freaks everyone out  -  they aren't used to it yet I guess  -  they are just going to have to toughen up and lay straight!  Takes only few seconds on each to set them right.  
They're good! The ones I have with the better de-icers have stayed thawed. The one with the crappy de-icer from UFA is froze up. I ordered some more of the better de-icers, so as soon as they arrive, I should be good to go for the rest of the winter. I did the hair dryer thing during the last cold snap, but I put my back out on Tuesday, so bending over is difficult right now. I am going with a rubber tub that I smash the ice out of for the one pen with the crappy de-icer.

13Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:17 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:So cold that I wore my insulated cover all and giant clunky Sorrels to school.

Three boys admired the 'Tough Duck' outerwear.  I am a fashion statement in the tiny town of Warburg.
You could go crazy and get a set of black ones. Then you'd really be smexy.

14Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:04 pm

birish

It's good to see somebody admiting to wearing a Fudd hat,I love mine,it's ugly has lights keeps me warm.I also have an orange Fudd for deer hunting,it's even uglier but works.

15Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:07 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have a Fudd hat too. Cant find it yet, but I think I saw the box I had it packed in. Will try to dig it out this weekend.

Have to say I am not overly impressed with the weather. Not as prepared as I thought I was. Steep learning curve for sure.

16Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:10 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's not usually like this, coop. At least not this early in the year.

17Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

authenticfarm wrote:It's not usually like this, coop. At least not this early in the year.
I hope that is the truth Authentic. I keep thinking if this is what it is like at the beginning of Dec what am I in for in Jan & Feb!? I don't remember it being this cold so soon.

Just spent a ton of money to get the dogs set up better. Will be spending all weekend doing that. The chickens are going to have to tough it out for a while. Actually, they seem pretty ok with it. Went down to -17C in the coop last night, but that is the coldest so far and really they seem ok with it. Will be better prepared for the deep freeze next time.

18Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe the rest of the winter will be beautiful. Fingers crossed!

We didn't get the snow up here that you guys did, at least. But we had a lot last winter.

19Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:47 am

They're  calling for -42 to -43 with the wind chill for us tonight ........was -39 last night .............would take anything below -20 any day of the week

20Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

We've got that now. Weather network says we're at -32 with a -39 windchill. Our thermometers are reading -32 so I am guessing the windchill is -40 or colder.

21Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:12 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh man, I have nothing to complain about when I read about temperatures like I am hearing. Seriously. It is -10 last night and there was a north wind. Now this morning it is -8 and there is a south wind. I think it is very, very cold. It is evidently getting colder to -23. I don't like the cold and I would never live somewhere where it goes to lower than -25. Just would never do that. Just me. I like summer. Have a wonderful and safe day, and I don't know how, but please keep warm. CynthiaM.

22Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:20 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

It was -46 windchill when I went out to tuck the bokkers in last night. It's fine if you dress for it.

-8 is t-shirt weather! Seriously. I work outside in shirt sleeves in that weather.

23Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:13 am

Buff

Buff

Husband suggestion for the little duckies today. Go out and pin up posters of Pom trees with the big hot sun and the clear blue ocean with white soft sand so they feel they have gone south for winter. He feels bad for them even tho they are faring quite well.

24Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:
authenticfarm wrote:It's not usually like this, coop. At least not this early in the year.
I hope that is the truth Authentic.  I keep thinking if this is what it is like at the beginning of Dec what am I in for in Jan & Feb!?  I don't remember it being this cold so soon.

Just spent a ton of money to get the dogs set up better.  Will be spending all weekend doing that.  The chickens are going to have to tough it out for a while.  Actually, they seem pretty ok with it.  Went down to -17C in the coop last night, but that is the coldest so far and really they seem ok with it.  Will be better prepared for the deep freeze next time.
Coopslave it was nearly -30 on my way out this morning at 7amish which means at least -15 in the barn. Beaverdell must be similar. we are without wind in our pocket up here but down in the valley it is nasty nasty nasty. I think I would hibernate at some of the temperatures you other juggernauts (without the warring stuff - mighty mighty will suffice :-) are experiencing. talked to my Da in NZ last night, said was the warmest Nov ever and last year they had nasty drought which was at its worst in Feb. Wonder what Feb will bring for them! And what it will bring for us. There is frost on the inside of the door lock - yikes. so glad I have the fire in the barn to keep the moisture levels down - need better ventilation in there for sure. What have you fixed up for your dogs?

25Bring It ON!!!! Empty Re: Bring It ON!!!! Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan wrote:
coopslave wrote:
I hope that is the truth Authentic.  I keep thinking if this is what it is like at the beginning of Dec what am I in for in Jan & Feb!?  I don't remember it being this cold so soon.

Just spent a ton of money to get the dogs set up better.  Will be spending all weekend doing that.  The chickens are going to have to tough it out for a while.  Actually, they seem pretty ok with it.  Went down to -17C in the coop last night, but that is the coldest so far and really they seem ok with it.  Will be better prepared for the deep freeze next time.
Coopslave it was nearly -30 on my way out this morning at 7amish which means at least -15 in the barn.  Beaverdell must be similar.  we are without wind in our pocket up here but down in the valley it is nasty nasty nasty.  I think I would hibernate at some of the temperatures you other juggernauts (without the warring stuff  -  mighty mighty will suffice :-) are experiencing.  talked to my Da in NZ last night, said was the warmest Nov ever and last year they had nasty drought which was at its worst in Feb.  Wonder what Feb will bring for them!  And what it will bring for us.  There is frost on the inside of the door lock  -  yikes.  so glad I have the fire in the barn to keep the moisture levels down  -  need better ventilation in there for sure.   What have you fixed up for your dogs?  
How can it possibly be that cold in Osoyoos? I was there in the summer and it was like a desert!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum