Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

bring on some ideas for pens

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1bring on some ideas for pens Empty bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:51 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

We are looking to re-construct the inside of one of our coops into breeding pens, broody pens, sick pen etc...
wonder if you guys have this sort of thing, and whether you could post some pics..so we can get some ideas how to do it. i am now thinking that double decker stuff would work really good

2bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:03 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Piet had some on this thread that still have me envious.

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t6670-dimensions-of-breedng-pens?highlight=pens

3bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:05 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like the idea of double decker pens along an inside wall, just make sure to build them big enough and easy to reach into for ease of cleaning. One of the things I regret most that we did in my winter hen house is building bottom pens underneath the poop board. Not the funnest place to wedge ones self inside to scrub I tell ya!  Laughing

4bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:05 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are you on Facebook? There's a group called Canadian Mother Cluckers and we just did this same thing yesterday!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:31 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

hey thanks authentic....i have been looking for a good chicken site on fb
i ditched backyard chickens....waaaay too much gratuitous swearing

6bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:37 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fowler wrote:Piet had some on this thread that still have me envious.

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t6670-dimensions-of-breedng-pens?highlight=pens

Those are a really nice, simple design and how I'd like to build my future pens.  bring on some ideas for pens 931874130

7bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:26 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Piets pens are nice. I unfortunately do not have that much room..perhaps when the lottery comes in
how high do pens need to be? the height of my building is about 7 ft tall, with a sloping roof..so if i divided that height in half ..should be plenty of room....?

8bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:36 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

One person I know did smaller pens above the larger pens, so you would have a 4X8 pen like Piets, and then the back you would build one above that is 2x4 in size. So it is shallow enough you can reach into and clean (like blue hill says) and still a nice size for a single or some younger birds if you need to separate them.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

9bring on some ideas for pens Empty Re: bring on some ideas for pens Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:41 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that is what we are going to do. two bottom ones will be 4' X 5' each with outside runs, then on top either 4 that are 2.5 X 2 or 2 that are 2.5X2 and another 4X5 pen.
so many decisions...want to be able to isolate a bird if i need to-broodies, or broody momma and babes...still planning..but have got lots of ideas..
then the other side of the pen will just be a big pen i think, 4X10 with an outside run..perhaps a tier of small pens 3 high...i dunno  Question 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum