Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nice day to go through some birds!

+9
Schipperkesue
bcboy
Magdelan
authenticfarm
CynthiaM
coopslave
heda gobbler
lady leghorn
Piet
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My wife snapped this pic when I was moving some birds around. Fine snow was blowing inside the coop a bit, so I brought them in the big barn. Winterwonderland![You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

2Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:30 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ohhhh You look cold. Sad Well that's certainly one way to move them. Your'e lucky to have your barn. I'm sure all the birds will

appreciate being in there. Take care.

3Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:31 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

"Downward bird" - a new kind of yoga?

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

4Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:53 pm

Lol! Yup, lots o' snow!
Your birds look nice from all angles. Very floofy!

5Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:53 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fine lookin luggage you are packin Piet! Very Happy 

I had a bit of fine snow blowing into my coop too, but don't have a barn to move them to. They seem pretty content though.

6Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh my yorka! You have gotta be kidding! You can carry that many birds in each hand, you must be like the green hulk or something. How many birds in each hand, I think I counted 3 or maybe even 4, making a total of 6 or 8 birds. So lets say each bird weighs 7 pounds. Probably more, could be less, who knows, but that is 21 pounds on each arm (if you go with 3 birds in each hand). And yikers, you must have MASSIVE hands to be able to grab that many feet. My hat off to ya, dude! . Whatchew made of -- man of steel! Never in a million years could I have imagined to pick up that many birds and carry them upside down. But oh my, what a plan....I think I could carry two maybe, or maybe just one in each hand, but ya, that has gotta be a fast way, pick up by feet, and run for the hills! Awesome picture, loved it, and loved how strong you really must be, my hero Razz  have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

7Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:51 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Now I feel like I've been doing it wrong. I've been popping them into boxes/kennels/crates/tubs and toting them to where I want them, then popping them back out.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

8Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

authenticfarm wrote:Now I feel like I've been doing it wrong. I've been popping them into boxes/kennels/crates/tubs and toting them to where I want them, then popping them back out.
if you want to move a lot of birds fast and dont have far to go, this is the best way;) I used to empty layerbarns when I was a kid for extra cash. Nightwork and did 20000 birds in a night with 6 guys or so. That was a stinky job! We would carry 4 each hand or 5. Here I have three and four and was plenty heavvy enough. Piet

9Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote:Oh my yorka!  You have gotta be kidding!  You can carry that many birds in each hand, you must be like the green hulk or something.  How many birds in each hand, I think I counted 3 or maybe even 4, making a total of 6 or 8 birds.  So lets say each bird weighs 7 pounds.  Probably more, could be less, who knows, but that is 21 pounds on each arm (if you go with 3 birds in each hand).  And yikers, you must have MASSIVE hands to be able to grab that many feet.  My hat off to ya, dude! . Whatchew made of -- man of steel!  Never in a million years could I have imagined to pick up that many birds and carry them upside down. But oh my, what a plan....I think I could carry two maybe, or maybe just one in each hand, but ya, that has gotta be a fast way, pick up by feet, and run for the hills!  Awesome picture, loved it, and loved how strong you really must be, my hero Razz  have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.
oh what shame. I didn't look properly, Embarassed  thought he had one turkey in each hand!! floofy is the word :-).

10Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:57 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Piet wrote:if you want to move a lot of birds fast and dont have far to go, this is the best way;) I used to empty layerbarns when I was a kid for extra cash. Nightwork and did 20000 birds in a night with 6 guys or so. That was a stinky job! We would carry 4 each hand or 5. Here I have three and four and was plenty heavvy enough. Piet
I may need a lesson. lol

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

11Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:09 pm

bcboy

bcboy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote: How many birds in each hand, I think I counted 3 or maybe even 4, making a total of 6 or 8 birds.  So lets say each bird weighs 7 pounds.  Probably more, could be less, who knows, but that is 21 pounds on each arm (if you go with 3 birds in each hand).  And yikers, you must have MASSIVE hands to be able to grab that many feet.  My hat off to ya, dude! .  Awesome picture, loved it, and loved how strong you really must be, my hero Razz  have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.
cheers 
That picture made my day PIET!!!!
Getter Done before before things freeze up.lol!

http://www.grizzlycurb.ca

12Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:46 pm

What a great picture!!

I like to carry my birds that way too. Not more than one in each hand, mind you. I don't handle my birds much and they seem to really just relax or go numb from disorientation?? drunken  Whatever it is, they seem not to mind being carried that way, so don't flap or squawk.

13Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Whew! Glad to see I am not the only one to move birds this way. Mine just relax and hang out. You can carry several in each hand and it sure takes less time and stress than cramming them into boxes. It really seems to be easiest on the birds and very efficient.

14Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Jayceefarms

Jayceefarms
New Here

how the heck did you manage to catch them all?! I'm impressed

15Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:50 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I move my birds like that also. It helps when you can carry 3 or more per hand. Awesome pic Piet!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

16Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:30 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Absolutely cool. Can't stop lookin' at the picture Smile . This honestly must be a fast way, and 20,000 birds a night with 6 boys, holy yikin' yikers, hats off to ya! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

17Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Perryschofield

Perryschofield
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hi Piet

Birds look great.  How are your first generation cross out to the whites Wyandotte from Manitoba doing. Did any come out Silver Laced. I am crossing that really nice young Silver Laced roo I got from you to two very large, nice, White Wyandotte hens I got from Ontario.  Should be a totally different line then the white you used from Manitoba.  Maybe when your done with your white we could trade a few and do another cross to introduce a third bloodline.  I think that would really increase fertility and egg laying in the Silver Laced.  The two large white hens I have were excellent layers, way better then my Silver Laced, (almost 2 eggs to 1 this year).  I just put them in with him and hope to have fertile eggs in January.  With any luck I could have young birds to trade next June or July.

Perry

http://www.pandlgamebirds.ca

18Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes Perry, I am real happy with the F1's. Some lacing yes, but am just selecting for size and type as the color will show up again by itself. Most my keepers (14 pullets now laying) came from white hen x slw rooster. The old one that you have a rooster out of also. Trading down the road sounds good. Piet

19Nice day to go through some birds! Empty Re: Nice day to go through some birds! Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:08 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

night before last i moved all of my hens one at a time from one house to the new house (57 trips)...if only you would have posted this a few days ago Piet...and i agree with farmchiq....great picture..such lovely colours and great looking birds..even if you can't really tell one from the next...perhaps you should do a one on one pic so we can see them....they really do look lovely

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum