Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hey Dan could you post a couple of pics of your Australorp

+3
triplejfarms
Dan Smith
appway
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hi Dan
I am getting a trio of Australorp that are from your eggs they are a year old
do you have any pics of some of your real nice year old Australorp so I can kind of compare them
Looking forward to getting them they will be here tonight

Thanks
Joe

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

appway wrote:Hi Dan
I am getting a trio of Australorp that are from your eggs they are a year old
do you have any pics of some of your real nice year old Australorp so I can kind of compare them
Looking forward to getting them they will be here tonight

Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe, If they are already a year old they won't be out of my new and improved Barry Woods line. I acquired 25 Barry Wood chicks last spring and then I crossed them this spring with a west coast rooster that I got from Heidi who got her stock from Buffy who bought her rooster for 250.00 from a show breeder out of Washington USA. Buffy had a picture of her flock on her web site showing how her show rooster has influenced her flock. I will try to get some pics of my new Australorps.

3Hey Dan could you post a couple of pics of your Australorp Empty Barry's line Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:17 pm

I got 45 chicks from Barry Woods earlier this spring. I have only lost one and sold a few, so basically I think I am at 40. They are good strong healthy birds, but they are not friendly. I put some Polish crosses and Faverolles with them and they nearly at them alive. I have since divided the roosters and penned them separately from that which I believe to be hens. This has helped but there are a few aggressive hens that peck at the Beltsville turkeys they share a pen with. They have lots of room, but are just nags. Have you found this?

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The Fat Ewe wrote:I got 45 chicks from Barry Woods earlier this spring. I have only lost one and sold a few, so basically I think I am at 40. They are good strong healthy birds, but they are not friendly. I put some Polish crosses and Faverolles with them and they nearly at them alive. I have since divided the roosters and penned them separately from that which I believe to be hens. This has helped but there are a few aggressive hens that peck at the Beltsville turkeys they share a pen with. They have lots of room, but are just nags. Have you found this?

you are having problems finding nice birds arnt you? or you spend to much time in the henhouse investigating whos picking on who LOL lol!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

TFE - I found that EVERYTHING picks on the polish, and they have to be housed separately. Hence, why my polish flock has moved onto a new home that can keep them isolated from other birds at all times. Even my 4 week old teeny tiny bantam chicks picked on the 4 month old polish. They were just too high maintenance for me, and are now living with a friend who loves them Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

6Hey Dan could you post a couple of pics of your Australorp Empty nice birds Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I love my little Buckeye hen. She is a gem. The Speckled Sussex pair are also 10/10, as are the Wyandottes, though they NEVER want to go in the coop. One sleeps alone in the food bucket. I love the Faverolles too, but these Australorps....nope. Maybe a few hens are "nice". If it were my world, I would breed nice birds and forget the rest.

The Australorp roosters left with the Polish crosses get along. It was the hens, it seems, that were the aggressors in this case. So far so good since they have been separated. Everything does pick on the Faverolles though. I really like them too, but don't have a separate coop for 2 young birds.

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I got 25 Barry Wood Australorps this summer and so far no problems with them. 2 runty ones but the rest are turning out very nice. I have them in with some Ameraucana and Chantie crosses and 2 turkeys, nobody is picking on anybody.
I got a Barry Wood rooster from Dan last year and he is a very handsome boy, big boy too! The other rooster I have is from Buffy's line, some eggs I hatched from her, and he is nice as well but this Barry Wood rooster is far better in confirmation in my eye. If he keeps his nice feathering till November I am going to take him to Red Deer and see what a judge thinks of him. Smile

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ewe i dont tink you can ever have a happy lil hen house with total harmony, you are always going to have birds picking on one another, especilay when A. you have more than one rooster, and B you have different breeds integrated together there is always someone on the bottom of the totem pole, like with dogs, ect...
anyways sorry for hijacking the thread

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Dan Smith wrote:

Hi Joe, If they are already a year old they won't be out of my new and improved Barry Woods line. I acquired 25 Barry Wood chicks last spring and then I crossed them this spring with a west coast rooster that I got from Heidi who got her stock from Buffy who bought her rooster for 250.00 from a show breeder out of Washington USA. Buffy had a picture of her flock on her web site showing how her show rooster has influenced her flock. I will try to get some pics of my new Australorps.

Thanks Dan will look forward to the Pics
What is Buffy's web site.
The ones I am getting are from your eggs from a May 2011 Hatch
Thanks again I think I might really like the Aussie's
Joe

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have Dan's most recent lines that he described in his post. They are five weeks old and are showing no signs of aggression or domination and are quite friendly towards me already.

Would love to see some photos Dan.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well Just got the Australorp's home and settled in there is a Roo and 3 Hens just alittle over 1 year old They are Beautiful
I really like the breed and they are so friendly
I will try and post some pics Tommorow
AN hope Dan posts some also
Joe
Going to the Dark side LOL

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

appway wrote:Well Just got the Australorp's home and settled in there is a Roo and 3 Hens just alittle over 1 year old They are Beautiful
I really like the breed and they are so friendly
I will try and post some pics Tommorow
AN hope Dan posts some also
Joe
Going to the Dark side LOL

Just don't tell Sue.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Maybe I should put in the title for sue not to read LOL

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Fat Ewe knows the truth. Beware the Australorp. All others will live in harmony but the Aussie will cause trouble. They are best destined for the stew pot.

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:The Fat Ewe knows the truth. Beware the Australorp. All others will live in harmony but the Aussie will cause trouble. They are best destined for the stew pot.
Sue you were not suppose to read this thread but beings you did when these ones start laying I will have to send you some of the eggs now.
These ones are sweet they were sitting on their roost waiting to tell me good morning and they have not bothered any of the Barnyard birds (I have 2 in with them)
So I will let you know when I will send them eggs Twisted Evil

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

O.K. out of the 25 that I got from Barry Wood , all 25 are alive as far as i know. I don't know if the extra roos that I sold are still doing great. Out of all my breeds when people come to my place they comment on how friendly the Australorps are. In fact they are frustrating at times because they almost trip me many times because they surround me and get under foot. That is very strange that you have some bad apples.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank God you haven't posted any pictures. I really don't think my poor queasy stomach could take it.

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Thank God you haven't posted any pictures. I really don't think my poor queasy stomach could take it.
O.K. I will hold off until you are better or dead which ever comes first. Hoping the former because you are just too much fun not to have around. cheers

I hope someone posts pictures ! Keep coming back to look and yet nothing ??

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum