Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nice Surprise!

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nice Surprise! Empty Nice Surprise! Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:35 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My grandma lives in Biggar and has been in a care home for the last few years. She and my grandpa owned a beautiful old Eaton's house just off Main street that has been in my family since it was built. Great Grandpa was the mayor and Grandpa owned a very profitable Garage and car dealership there. Grandma kept the house so she could go there in the day and for family get- togethers. She finally decided to sell it and so gave us all some of the furniture. I picked the hoosier. It was also from the Eaton's company and is made of oak. Unfortunately its has been painted, so after cleaning off about 100 years of grime, I'm going to strip it. It had been stored in the basement of their house and Grandpa used to tie flies for fishing on it. I actually found a couple little feathers while cleaning it. It is one of those things that I have a lot of memories of them with. Now it will live in my porch and hold the kid's backpacks, mail and that sort of thing. I'm surprised at how emotional I feel working on it. Someday, I'll give it to my son or daughter.

2Nice Surprise! Empty Re: Nice Surprise! Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Terre Wilde

Terre Wilde

So wonderful to have a piece of family history - I'm sure it will be treasured by future generations.

3Nice Surprise! Empty Re: Nice Surprise! Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:41 pm

That's a wonderful keepsake! Good for you for choosing something meaningful! I love hoosiers.

I am the "keeper of sakes" in my family - I have the little things that my sister picks up and gets a faraway look in her eyes when she sees them.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum