Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

problems with local swap

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1problems with local swap Empty problems with local swap Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:30 pm

niglefritz

We have run into a problem with a muscovy drake swap. We delivered a young (19 wk) drake to a farm last night. We let him out. It was our bad judgement that we let it out where there was a full sized muscovy drake and a pair of geese (M&F). We should have requested to leave him in a separate area...lesson #1.

Well, we got an email this morning from the lady (she was not home, but her SO was at trading time), that she had checked on the new duck later on that night. She claimed that it had angel wing (it certainly did not)...or an injury, and she would have to watch it to see if it would need to be put down (um, if we got it back, we would either try to figure out if we could help heal the injury...I would ask here for advice), or we would just plain eat him.

Now, we do understand that we may have injured it upon release, but we are not sure. We should have checked...lesson #2. Now, we have offered to return hers and take ours back, but we want to know what you might do. How do you check for an injury that may have been caused by other larger fowl, and how would you determine if the injury was caused by a medium dog carrier release? This duck had plenty of space and a large opening to come out as well. We do not treat them harshly (like pulling them/whatever) to get them to come out. We are always very gentle, but things can happen (and we would take responsibility for that in that case).

2problems with local swap Empty Re: problems with local swap Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:37 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Suspect  Well makes you wonder if the other drake, or the geese attacked it? It should have been left in a cage or crate in the barn

overnight, unfortunately. Why is hindsight 20-20?? Guess to keep her happy it might pay to take it back and see for yourselves what

might have happened? But with a wing pulled like that I'd say something beat it up. confused 

3problems with local swap Empty Re: problems with local swap Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:54 pm

niglefritz

Well...I got an email this morning in response to my suggestion of taking the drake back and returning hers.

She apologized for stressing us about the situation. She said that it was fluffed, dragging its tail, and that the leg was injured (giving an unbalanced walk). Hmmm...I think that the accusation of angel wing was a bit on the hasty side while she was worked up. Pretty poor judgment. We now know without a shadow of a doubt that one of her birds injured him with this new information given. We did think over the situation when we let him go and do remember him looking fine, then when the fellow moved, the drake hastily running past him and where the geese (and other drake) were and visiting with the hens. I am sure as soon as we left, they were over there hurting him.

Anyway, she said that she would now do her best to protect him...

I asked that she let us know how he is doing in a few months from now.

Hopefully he recovers to some extent and hurts heal. I know that we will not be dealing there again.

Thank you for your support and insight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum