Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dog Problems

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dog Problems Empty Dog Problems Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am needing help in understanding why my 2 year old st Bernard/great Pyrenees is suddenly going after my 1 year old Pyrenees boy. Tug, the 2 year old, is neutered. He has been locked up due to his hip getting dislocated, but my oldest boy let him loose yesterday and Tug went after Red and would not let him be. I finally had to use a willow switch and smack Tug on the head so I could get to them to separate. Tug has slowly been getting more aggressive towards Red in the last couple months. Any idea what could be causing this? On the up side it is making Red more willing to come to me and be friends as he still is quite shy of people from when we got him. Any ideas of what is causing this please let me know or ways to combat it. We do not want to have to get rid of one of them, or have them tied or penned if possible. Please help!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2Dog Problems Empty Re: Dog Problems Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have heard Pyr males don't get along too well. I have a dog and a bitch and even they don't get along.

Do you feed them separately?

3Dog Problems Empty Re: Dog Problems Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:26 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

i would actually recommend that you check out this group on facebook

"Learning About LGDs" i couldn't post the link-sorry, it kept my bit in it...
but do a search for the above
This group is very knowledgable about LGD's, behaviour and training...most have many LGD
i am sure they can help you out

4Dog Problems Empty Re: Dog Problems Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:32 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks for the info big rock.

They have self feed as I find they do not hold weight if I limit their feed. They seem to eat side by side with no issues! I did forget to say that Red is still intact but that will be changing soon!

5Dog Problems Empty Re: Dog Problems Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Sweetened

Sweetened
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

It could be dominance. Watch how Red and Tugs tails are when they greet eachother. Who's up and who's down?

Bull has a real problem with Bear and immediately tries to mount him the moment he's seen. Bear -- clueless, no idea why, submits instantly. It's stuff like that that leads to fights and I'm willing to let the fight start, but I -will- get in there and break it up. Eventually, Bear will get sick of the needless domination (always greets bull with head and tail almost even to the back but slightly down which is respectful submission) and will blow up on Bull. It has yet to happen, but I watch for it every day.

Lola has a great deal of trouble with Jo. She'll play with the other puppies, but will pin Jo down the moment she gets near. Jo greets excited, over the top, tail up high, using her feet constantly. Lola doesn't stand for that, not one bit, bu Jo won't present herself that way to Bull.

Might try leashing for now to correct the behavior. Don't want him getting too worked up on that hip yet? Could he also still be in pain? A dog in pain can sometimes be a dog that needs to show its strength in order to not be looked at as weak.

LGD's and Bully breeds can be stubborn as all mess. Bull is male dog aggressive, always has been and it'll likely never change. When we brought Lola to the farm, Bull refused to use his nose and would, while walking, go after her, all noise no bite. We tied him to a post and left him there. Lola got less than a foot out of his reach and laid down. You could watch him go from the literal end of his leash to back on all fours using his nose. Once he realized female, he was all of the good a dog can be, they haven't fought since.

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

6Dog Problems Empty Re: Dog Problems Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:21 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks sweetend. I will watch them tomorrow. Tug ripped my wire crate to pieces last night and tore into Red who was sleeping in my deck. Poor Red has a split lip. He goes in to be neutered on the 31st. Tug is chained now as I cannot keep him in a crate. I have to move my chain link kennel as I had ducks in it and they made a nasty mess in it!! Lol. That will be done tomorrow

7Dog Problems Empty Re: Dog Problems Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Update on my dog troubles. I think neutering Red has solved my issues. They are both tolerant of each other. Not best buddies like when Red was younger, but they no longer fight like crazy, or should I say Tug no longer attacks Red. We had 2 attacks by Tug with strong punishment for attacking and all has been calm since.

Tugs hip has also stayed in place which has made us very very happy!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum