Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sick hen need advice

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Sick hen need advice Empty Sick hen need advice Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:35 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Went into the coop tonight to do my last check of the day and one of my little bantam hens was lying down on the ground. She is puffed up and her breathing is a little raspy/crackly.
She is a 2012 hatch and is always a pretty healthy little thing. My other hen is fine. She's racing around quite happily and so is the rooster.
I brought her inside and now she is in a small dog kennel with some food, water, and a heat source on the back half so she can warm up if she likes.
So does anyone have any ideas about what ails her? She just has the raspy breathing. No swelling in her face, her crop feels fine, legs are good, no discharge out of her eyes, ears, or nostrils. She is also quite tired looking. Just wants to lay down.

Also, none of the other birds are looking worse for the wear. East coop hens are looking good, the boys in the bigger bit of the West coop are fine. Just her.

2Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:20 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here's a link to some info on CRD: https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t8954-crd-information#77168

Pollywog's poor little hen sounds very rattly when we breathes. Hopefully someone with more experience can offer some advice.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

authenticfarm wrote:Here's a link to some info on CRD: https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t8954-crd-information#77168

Pollywog's poor little hen sounds very rattly when we breathes. Hopefully someone with more experience can offer some advice.
I looked at the link and that doesn't look like it. Neutral 

4Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:21 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

The first thing that came to my mind with the laying down and rattly breathing is that she may be going into heart failure. All you can do is keep her isolated, quiet and warm and see how she looks in the morning. Does she have a pale bluish or purply looking comb and in the red around her face?

5Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:04 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

'lilfarm wrote:The first thing that came to my mind with the laying down and rattly breathing is that she may be going into heart failure.  All you can do is keep her isolated, quiet and warm and see how she looks in the morning.  Does she have a pale bluish or purply looking comb and in the red around her face?
No bluing or purple in her comb. It is a bit pale but that's not surprising if she isn't feeling well.

6Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:25 pm

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

You could also check down her throat to see if anything is obstructing her breathing. Is she breathing with her beak open? Eyes open or closed?
If it were my hen, I'd just leave her resting quietly and check her in the morning. If no better or worse, you could try treating with medication recommended for CRD. Hope she seems better in the morning.

7Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:04 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is her crop hard and her body skinny?

I have had birds with impacted crop go down for no apparent reason...until you get your hands on them. The breathing could be a secondary issue if the bird is run down.

8Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:47 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

This morning my little chicken was great! She even laid an egg. She's still going to spend 1 more night in the house but she should be okay to go back in with her friends tomorrow.

9Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hah! She has you so wrapped around her little claws...she just wanted to get in the house!

10Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:07 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Suspect bantam hen would like to become house chicken until spring.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

11Sick hen need advice Empty Re: Sick hen need advice Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Pollywog

Pollywog
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Senga can dare to dream!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum