Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help help! Sick ducklings..

+3
SerJay
HigginsRAT
KatuskiFarms
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:06 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Can't figure out what they've got exactly. Respiratory distress, crusty eyes. Tylan has not made a dent. Suspect aspergillosis, not sure what I can do for them. One has started to whistle. Have told kids to get prepared for Daddy to put them down, but would try anything to prevent that. They are pets.
They are 2 weeks old. Incubator hatched. Started out fine.
Any ideas?

2Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:42 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sad Thanks Tara.

4Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:58 pm

Much to the dismay of many, I will tell you to try oregano oil in their water, or mixed into yogurt.

It's my cure-all; I don't use pharmaceutical anti-biotics on my farm, so this is my go-to.

5Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:56 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I can't help diagnose your problem but I can share an idea with brooding and cleaning. I use those big kiddie pools to brood because they are easy to haul outside scoop and hose off usually twice a day for me, then dry and place fresh bedding. I only put bedding in one area under the light and pile it up thick. The food and water away from each other and I bring ducklings out of the brooder to have face dipping splashing play water 2x daily and otherwise just drinking water in brooder so they make less mess. Kiddie pools are super cheap, would keep any outside dampness from getting into brooder and it sure makes clean up fast and easy as well. I hope that was helpful

6Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:34 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

7Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:56 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oil of Oregano at least the one I have and do use is extracted by steam distillation so that it is chemical free, it is a powerful antioxidant, many people use it if they feel a cold coming on or the flue, some people take it daily. I could go on and on abut Oil of Oregano, Agrisept, H202, Apple Cider Vinegar and Ionic Silver.

http://www.popscoops.com

8Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:34 pm

To clarify, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular. I know it ruffles some feathers when inexperienced people like me come touting some herbal cure-all based on the premise that it works on humans, so why not birds, as well as first hand experience with their animals. Then ensues the 'birds/goats/cows/pigs/dogs/etc. are different' conversation; then I completely get out of things, not because I don't want to argue about it, but because there's no point in letting my beliefs get in the way.

Anywho. For over a year and a half now, I always have Oil of Oregano on hand. I wish I could say I had ACV, AVJ and yogurt on hand at all times as well, but I can't, though I am working on it. In combination, they are intensely potent, and I have used them for myself in combinations as well. If I feel a cold coming on, I put 2-5 drops of Oregano oil under my tongue and let it sit until it burns or hits the back of my throat, then chase it with either milk or cranberry juice so I don't feel like I want to stab myself in the foot because of the burn and taste.

Oil of oregano, of quality anywho, is available at most health food stores. I get mine from Old Fashioned Foods, it comes pre-diluted and has been a consistently reliable product for a decent price -- it is not cheap, however you use very little. A bottle will usually last me a month or more, depending what I do with it (cooking). Old fashioned foods has limited hours on Sunday, but I think one location is open from 1pm - 4pm.

The herb does not function the same as the oil when it comes to potency. Perhaps over a long term it could assist a persistent ailment, but I'm doubtful the concentrations are large enough to do much noticable good in whole form. Catnip is particularly tuned to the upper respiratory tract, and a good quality, pure or self-grown plant could be very helpful boiled and cooled, water given to the animal or human (nightcap for humans). The essential oil is potent, but runs you anywhere from $72 - $95 an ounce depending on the seasons and crops. I've considered building an essential oil still for this purpose, as it's an excellent bug repellant.

I also suggest AVJ (Aloe Vera Juice) when dealing with sick animals. African tribes with livestock still use the plant today for the purpose of purging an animal's intestinal tract. It pulls negative bacteria while promoting good flora and helps cleanse the system (great for Cocci). There's a few papers you can come across using search engines like duckduckgo (not filtered), they're interesting but sometimes hard to locate. I had saved them, however I had a portable hard drive failure and seem to have lost many documents including my writing and those.

I admire those who can rely on or feel comfortable using anti-biotics. I've had too many negative experiences to put faith in it.

Keep us informed, Kat.

9Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:46 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:To clarify, I wasn't targeting anyone in particular. I know it ruffles some feathers when inexperienced people like me come touting some herbal cure-all based on the premise that it works on humans, so why not birds, as well as first hand experience with their animals. Then ensues the 'birds/goats/cows/pigs/dogs/etc. are different' conversation; then I completely get out of things, not because I don't want to argue about it, but because there's no point in letting my beliefs get in the way.

Anywho. For over a year and a half now, I always have Oil of Oregano on hand. I wish I could say I had ACV, AVJ and yogurt on hand at all times as well, but I can't, though I am working on it. In combination, they are intensely potent, and I have used them for myself in combinations as well. If I feel a cold coming on, I put 2-5 drops of Oregano oil under my tongue and let it sit until it burns or hits the back of my throat, then chase it with either milk or cranberry juice so I don't feel like I want to stab myself in the foot because of the burn and taste.

Oil of oregano, of quality anywho, is available at most health food stores. I get mine from Old Fashioned Foods, it comes pre-diluted and has been a consistently reliable product for a decent price -- it is not cheap, however you use very little. A bottle will usually last me a month or more, depending what I do with it (cooking). Old fashioned foods has limited hours on Sunday, but I think one location is open from 1pm - 4pm.

The herb does not function the same as the oil when it comes to potency. Perhaps over a long term it could assist a persistent ailment, but I'm doubtful the concentrations are large enough to do much noticable good in whole form. Catnip is particularly tuned to the upper respiratory tract, and a good quality, pure or self-grown plant could be very helpful boiled and cooled, water given to the animal or human (nightcap for humans). The essential oil is potent, but runs you anywhere from $72 - $95 an ounce depending on the seasons and crops. I've considered building an essential oil still for this purpose, as it's an excellent bug repellant.

I also suggest AVJ (Aloe Vera Juice) when dealing with sick animals. African tribes with livestock still use the plant today for the purpose of purging an animal's intestinal tract. It pulls negative bacteria while promoting good flora and helps cleanse the system (great for Cocci). There's a few papers you can come across using search engines like duckduckgo (not filtered), they're interesting but sometimes hard to locate. I had saved them, however I had a portable hard drive failure and seem to have lost many documents including my writing and those.

I admire those who can rely on or feel comfortable using anti-biotics. I've had too many negative experiences to put faith in it.

Keep us informed, Kat.

I am on your side when it comes to natural remedies, I was saying I buy pure Oil of Oregano, very strong and terrible tasting made by Natural Factors get mine at Moms Bulk foods, Saskatoon, also get my Aloe Vera juice there to, Georges 100% Aloe Vera Bitter Free, Bragg Apple cider vinegar with the mother Raw unfiltered, BUT I have more faith in Ionic Silver for internal and external wounds as well as viruses and bugs, Agrisept will kill internal and external parasites as well as all yeast and viruses, H202 works for any and all non oxygen loving viruses.

http://www.popscoops.com

10Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would give everyone a dose of cod liver oil and cross your fingers that this boosts their natural ability to recover.

I keep cod liver capsules in my brooder room and if I have floppy, droopy chicks, I poke a hole (or 6!) in the capsule and squeeze a drop into the mouth of a kicking chick. I also use it for chicks who struggle with splay leg or other bone/joint wonkiness.

Good luck.

11Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

uno wrote:I would give everyone a dose of cod liver oil and cross your fingers that this boosts their natural ability to recover.

I keep cod liver capsules in my brooder room and if I have floppy, droopy chicks, I poke a hole (or 6!) in the capsule and squeeze a drop into the mouth of a kicking chick. I also use it for chicks who struggle with splay leg or other bone/joint wonkiness.

Good luck.

That is because it tastes so awful it gives the chicks just the right amount of will to live to run away from you, Uno!

12Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's true, Sue! They must think, Oh, Gordon, look healthy or she'll make us eat more of that crap! Quick everyone, perk up, you there with the crooked toes, straighten those things out or we're all in trouble!

In truth, I have a very pointed syringe I got from the dentist. It was a long, fine tip on it for squirting water into dental situations. I jab a hole in the capsule, then suck the fish oil (it's not just from cod, you know) into this syringe. I use this pointed syringe to give the chicks a little drop. Trying to squeeze it out of a capsule and into their mouths is pretty much impossible and more of it gets rubbed on their faces than down their gullets.

13Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well, I swear by food grade hydrogen peroxide in the water for maintaining health. Doug, however, has used oil of oregano for his prostate issues and has proclaimed it bumkum...for that application anyway.

He is sometimes prostrate with his prostate.

14Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:24 pm

foal0069

Did your ducklings make it? If so are they doing better?

15Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 am

KatuskiFarms

KatuskiFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, no one around here has the motivation to bump these poor creatures; even though they may have improved somewhat I can still hear rattling in the lungs. Like crumpling a paper bag would sound.
The favorite is the worse off of course! It is only half the size of the other two.

I have tried braggs apple cider vin, tea tree oil, oil of oregano, tylan, oxytetracycline.

16Help help! Sick ducklings.. Empty Re: Help help! Sick ducklings.. Thu May 02, 2013 10:06 am

Can they have aloe vera? If so, try AVJ (Aloe Vera Juice) in their water, 1 tsp per litre.

Either way, I would highly suggest a probiotic to get their immune system up.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum