Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Need Advice

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Need Advice Empty Need Advice Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

I need advice from the Partridge Chantecler folks. Which of these two cockerals is the best? By best I am talking true to standand. I know which one has the nicest personality. The first one is about 9 months old and the second is 10 months old.
I'm not sure why the photos of my older boy are cut off but if you click on them you will see his whole photo.

Need Advice P1090710

Need Advice P1090711

10 month old

Need Advice Aap10910

Need Advice Ap109010

The older boy is in the cockeral coop which has started rough housing but the younger currently lives alone so I think that is why he is a little chubby.

I look forward to your advice!

Last edited by Micah and Kiah on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : photos)

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

Is the fact that no one is responding mean that neither of my cockerals is good enough to breed? Embarassed

3Need Advice Empty Re: Need Advice Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

4Need Advice Empty Re: Need Advice Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:46 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

5Need Advice Empty Thankyou Higgins Rat! Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Micah and Kiah

Micah and Kiah

Thank you Tara! Wow! Awesome answer! Very helpful to a newbie like me. Exactly what I need to know to contribute over the long run. I will read what you wrote carefully and study my boys more. I'll see if I can post photos of the pullets today too.

The 9 month old... I met his parents and grand parents and a nine year old hen of his line that still lays eggs most days! I've handled him ALOT so he is sweet but respectful. I got the 10 month old from a different line (Roblyn Eyrie and John Blehm) and he wasn't a chick anymore. He is respectful but not friendly.

I will look at the boys again and handle them to see if I can feel what you described and take photos of my pullets. I know the pullets are very healthy and have awesome immune systems because I did something dumb (went to a show with pullets and put them immediately back in the layer pen) The pullets were fine but we carried something home. I lost 1/4 of my hens and pullets.

The only positives (trust me, we were devastated and trying to find any positives) were that the layer pen is isolated from the cockeral and breeding coops and no pullet/hen was allowed to suffer. Sad

We work hard to keep healthy enviornments, high quality food, greens and then a rookie move costs lives.

I only have two Partridge Chantecler pullets left. I've been told not to do breeding pairs as we are not experienced enough but maybe if the pullets match up better with one than the other cockeral I might pair breed. I'll put up more photos and get your opinion.

Thank you.
Thanks again!

Kathy

HigginsRAT wrote:
Micah and Kiah wrote:Is the fact that no one is responding mean that neither of my cockerals is good enough to breed? Embarassed

Uh, it takes some of us time to reply, eh!

...and you say "breeders"...good to know. I love you

Tara

Last edited by Micah and Kiah on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum